Justified, Season 5

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "What?"
    Tim Olyphants delivery of that had me in stitches. :D

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. They are having a lot of fun with Raylan being naughty lately.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Seems I misremembered, the girl who coaxed the delivery date out of Cyrus was linked to Johnny and not Dickie Bennett.

Boyd hasn't lost any time finding a new Ava!

4. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find myself wondering if Raylan and Ava might one day end up together again. Granted, her doing time for murder puts a major crimp into that theory, but there was a LOT of heat between those two in the first season.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What somehow made it even more awesome is that Wynn Duffy probably smiled for the first time ever in that scene.

bungadiri repped this.
  6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even my tender-hearted wife laughed at that one.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The first ten minutes made me think that this would end up becoming Justifieds own "Pine Barrens". :)

8. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice call. Dewey's "prayer" was pretty good, I thought, as was the fact that it was apparently answered.

Raylan once again looks to be headed for a fall. Art is not happy.

Dante and Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sopranos!" -- the word jumped out of my mouth when the body was gone.

In a good way.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved Dewey's prayer... after I kill him. Really liking this season so far and surprisingly so is the wife. It's the first thing we watch on the dvr come wednesday night.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of my favorite things about this season, and the potential final season, is the idea that all this shit is going to actually come back on Raylan.

His co-workers are just about fed up, Art is putting various (bad) pieces together, and his personal life is a typical shambles. The show has been, generally speaking, simply excellent from the jump -- even surviving one dog of a season. But if there's one complaint I have had, it's the enormous body count Raylan chalks up -- in a show that strives for a certain degree of realism, that has always rung a bit cartoonish.

But now I think they are really going somewhere with all of it.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The body count was part of this shows modern western concept. Though perhaps it would be nice if there ended up being some real-life consequences.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Whoa, a lot of stuff happened in one episode. That felt like two episodes crammed into one.
    Surprised that the Haitian bought it this quickly.
    Not sure how Danny hopes to explain his disappearance to Daryl, unless Daryl suddenly is incapable of seeing through his brothers BS.
    Nice little cliffhanger ending between Art and Raylan, the end of that scene - prior to him returning to Arts office - was masterful, with the little knowing glance they exchanged.

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 bungadiri, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Yeah. There are all kinds of things the writers seemed to recognize weren't sustainable anymore and decided to stop sustaining them. Depending on where they go from here, of course, that's a good thing.

How about poor Adam Arkin? Was that his final scene in the series?

Edit: So after the gun under the chin scene and the...what did Danny call him? Haitian Hash? I don't think that's it...scene, I'm pretty sure I'll be watching the show alone next week. My wife told me I can narrate it to her while she sits in the living room. Whatever, more beer for me.

Belgian guy repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is there any - and I do mean any - chance that Danny and Raylan don't test the 21 foot rule for real by season's end?

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not related directly to this episode, but: massive burn! :)

[​IMG]

bungadiri repped this.
  17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I think she's actually a writer herself.

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great episode -- but man, my head was spinning, trying to remember what the hell happened last season and how Raylan ended up on that airport tarmac, basically arranging a hit on the Detroit gangster Augustine.

Had to look it up. For any of you who may be as memory challenged as me:
    Basically Detroit boss Theo "Self Storage" Tonin needed to find and kill Sheriff Shelby / Drew Thompson (the mystery from last season) because Thompson saw Tonin killing a federal witness.

So once the Marshals nabbed Thompson, Augustine put the squeeze on Raylan to give up Thompson by first holding his wife hostage and then basically saying we will not let up and we will kill your family -- so Raylan allowed Sammy Tonin to walk in and blast Augustine. The feud between Augustine and Sammy Tonin was basically an internal Detroit power play.

Phew.

Loved seeing Art in all his glory. But was a little bummed at the disposal of that bad guy -- because he was pretty terrifying. And yet his demise was pretty dopey. The 'ol wandering around pointlessly blasting with the apparent marksmanship of a squad of Imperial Stormtroopers -- then killed with one shot. Boo.

Great ending -- did not expect Raylan to own up. And, even though it would go against his whole character, part of me wanted to hear Art say "Stop. I do not want to hear it..." Only because I'm so invested in the character, I don't want Art to go through the head ache of what to do with the information.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not entirely clear on which Fed Picker told Vazquez was on the tarmac: the bald dude who was shot in Wynn Duffy's RV or the guy who was going to kill Drew Thompsons former wife (the Ava Gardner look-alike)?

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Quieter episode this week, but I didn't mind after the roller-coaster we got last week.
    Is Danny Crow the most annoying antagonist this show has had?

21. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that it was the bald guy who was shot in the trailer.

My wife dreamed she'd been taken hostage by the Crows after this latest episode. She was in kind of a pissy mood all through breakfast.

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The Silent Art Punch has to be one of the best scenes of the series.
    2. Eva getting jumped was an amazing twist; as was her using the razor to take off her own hair.
    3. "I think you're the one starting the fire." / "..something so bad that it would bring a shitstorm down on the whole office...<heavy Rachel head shake>..." -- continuing the great theme of Raylan's reckoning. Loving it.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Funny episode, though I wouldn't rank it amongst my favorites of this season.
    Loved Tim's quips at Raylan's expense as well as the Marshals own tech guy's sarcasm. :)

24. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Raylan's character being...I don't know...trivialized this season? He didn't really take that guy up on his "caller #7" offer, did he? And him standing there in Art's office being petty and pouty about Art's treatment of him after he'd basically admitted being complicit in a murder was not what I would have expected from the character we've seen over the last few seasons.

A good man with flaws going down a dark hole for reasons not entirely under his control is something I'm interested in. But Raylan turning into the sum total of his appetites and vendettas? Not so much.

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States