Justified, Season 5

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts January 7 at 10 PM Eastern.

Looks like a new villain comes to town.

Belgian guy repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this show, looking forward to the new season.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Alicia Witt was added to the cast, she plays another member of the Crowe clan. :)

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

Oh how I have missed this show! :)

5. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was a good start. They initiated a few sub-plots in interesting ways without making the whole thing seem like a mess. Michael Rapaport's southern accent was not horrible. Alicia Witt's role is interesting. Raylan's conflicted parental status is both interesting and apt.

I have to say, though, that if the body count continues to mount and--more to the point--continues to be driven by point blank shots to the face with arterial spray worn by the bystanders afterwards, stabbings, and lengthy beatings, I won't be surprised if my wife bails and I'm left to watch this by myself. She had her eyes closed through much of this episode.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Dewey Crowe is back! :)

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I was unsure how to feel about the Rapaport casting but he was fine in the season opener.
    Witt didn't really shine as much as I had hoped, but the season is still young.
    Was also very pleasantly surprised to see Karolina Wydra amongst the new supporting cast. I liked her guest stint on "House" as well as more recently her work in "Europa Report".

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was a rather bloody episode. From the Grantland write-up:

In chronological order: The two Detroit messengers on the bridge, Donny in the truck, the Coast Guard agent, a rooster, Sammy Tonin, Sammy's Chainsaw Valet, Presumed Chainsaw Valet Victim, Dilly Crowe, Elvis Manuel Machado, Lee Paxton (pending).
    Additional shooting victims: Boyd's left ear, Dewey's aboveground pool, Elvis's escape raft.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Though I have to say that I'm not sure the chainsaw thing is consistent with the way Sammy Tonin was presented in the past. He was always depicted as the Fredo of the Tonin family.

11. KateMorison

KateMorison New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Whatever happens in the series this season seems promising, I just like the way it has come up this time.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it me or were there a lot of high profile guest stars in this episode?

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of crowes and the title of the episode...

[​IMG]

Crimen y Castigo and Belgian guy repped this.
  14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justified Likely to End After Season 6

I think that makes sense -- it's had a very good run and could be facing some narrative dead ends.

I liked the premiere -- I was kind of excited about Raylan in Florida and Boyd in Detroit, as Harlan County can get kind of claustrophobic. But they all seem to be headed right back home. Rappaport is an excellent choice, imho. Very no-nonsense and menacing. Exactly the kind of relative who you have to say "Heeyyyy...." when you see them but who elicit the deep, internal "...Oh...shit.." when they decide to move into town.

Dave Foley and the guy from Mad TV were a total head snap when I saw them, but I thought they were both pretty good. Ditto for Dave Koechner. Way too much funny clogging my head when I see those guys. Also, with all his endless talk about his wonderful kids, a bullet through his chest was seemingly inevitable. Here's to avoiding cliches.

That said -- the scene with the mortician guy and Boyd was a bit ridiculous to me. How on earth would that guy be so calm and collected in an empty room with Boyd Crowder, and even think he could still play his Classy Folk / White Trash card? I understand the political / influence machinations at play -- but come on. It's Boyd effing Crowder and you just locked up his wife. That was never going to end well. Equally perplexed about the mail order wife angle, as they seem to be positioning her for a key role.

PS: Have to say Raylan shooting Dewey's pool was a smidge over-the-top dick move.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That did score pretty highly on the McBain scale! :)

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm cool with it ending after Season 6. I'd rather watch a series all the way through than lose interest when it hangs on too long.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm actually very curious to see how well the quality will keep up.
    Now that the immediacy of season four is behind us, I would rank the seasons as such:
    1. Season two
    2. Season four
    3. Season one
    4. Season three

It would be beyond terrific if seasons five and six maintained the quality of season four.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Unless I'm misremembering, the whore that coaxed the shipment information out of Cyrus used to be linked to the Bennett clan. Does this mean the return of Dickie Bennett?

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew she was familiar, but I'll take your word for the connection with the Bennetts. I'd suspect the crowd headed by the guy Raylon is facing down in your post, above. Didn't he take over Mags' weed industry? Or am I misremembering that?

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I believe the youngest Bennett brother used to grow weed for that guy.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    BTW, is a Pop Rocks BJ an actual thing I wasn't aware of, or does Justified just have a very creative writers room? :D

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    “Unless Hitler has risen from the grave, and is in my whorehouse, go away right now, Messer!”

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Didn't occur to me until Sepinwall pointed it out, but that confederate pistol is going to be this seasons (quite literal) Chekhovs gun, no?

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's a real thing, not that I would know what it's like, but I've been told it's real.