Justified on FX [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Justified on FX

It really was. The different plot lines have been bouncing all over the place like ping pong balls, which has been entertaining in a non-sustainable way, and pretty much in the nick of time they're starting to pull it all together. Limehouse's line in the preview for next week (all these wayward characters) sounded like one of those metacommentary lines Shakespeare would give to his fools.

More kudos to those of you who picked up on Raylan's unraveling character being a deliberate part of the writing, too. Art's picked up up on it, the sexy bartender has picked up on it, hell even Wynn Duffy has picked up on it.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Him going out of his way to escalate the situation with the two hitmen was interesting. Does he have a deathwish? It's beyond his reckless behavior from earlier seasons.

3. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a lot of fun to see Wynn start to get back some of his mojo, although for me the high point was Quarles' "What a dick!" line.

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that we know where things are headed, this season is much better. It looks like we are headed for a collision course and this series will be losing some reoccuring characters. I have to imagine that Dickie will finally be exterminated and maybe a couple of others. I hope Boyd and Limehouse live through everything. I really enjoy both of them as the respectable and mannerly villains.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite. That scene on the phone while he's steeping his tea was the Wynn of old. Plus his stand off with the thugs where he basically said, "Well of course I set you up; why wouldn't I? By the way I have a gun."
    Nice.

Quibble Alert:

A) Given all of the grisly horrors that would surely be visited upon him, not to mention the deep family and community repercussions, I just don't buy that Limehouse's lieutenant would try to steal Limehouse's money.

B) And even if he decided to try and steal Limehouse's money -- what lunacy would possess him to throw in with Dickie Bennett? He knows where the money is, not Dickie. He can get in touch with Boyd easier than Dickie--even if the Lt. doesn't know the bad blood between Boyd and Dickie (which I'm sure he does) he could still find Boyd.

I see no benefit, unless there's some supposed high ground around returning Dickie's rightfully owed money that might absolve the Lt.'s betrayal. Which is simply more lunacy.

Also:
    Was that the first Wynn Duffy and Boyd conversation? The characters seemed to be playing it as such.
    I thought maybe they were in proximity during a shootout in a previous season involving Gary and Raylan and Wynn's thugs . . . ? In the rain . . outside the RV . . ? Maybe . . . ?

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasnt Wynn only in once scene prior to this season where Raylan went and visited him with Winona's husband late last season? I dont remember Wynn even being on the show before that other than his name. So how is this the Wynn of old when we didnt even know the character?

I also dont see why Limehouse's Lieutenant would want to betray him unless he plans to take the money and run.

7. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This question prompted a quick search which resulted in this very handy and quite comprehensive looking Justified Wiki site:
    http://justified.wikia.com/wiki/Justified_Wiki

Here's the Wynn Duffy page, outlining his full storyline.
    He was in two episodes in each previous season, before being in almost every episode this season. I forgot all about Gary's friend Toby. That was heavy.

http://justified.wikia.com/wiki/Wynn_Duffy

8. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Weird. I still have no recollection of him being on the show other than when Raylan visited him and threw the bullet at him before this season.

9. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He played a major role in the season one episode "Hatless".
    Back then he is described as having the kind of crazyness that Quarles demonstrates now. There was a brief anecdote about Duffy killing a guy and then sewing his face onto a soccer ball and sending it to the family.
    I wouldn't remember most of this except that I recently finished a season one revisit on DVD.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I agree that there is no upside for Limehouse's lieutenant to throw in with Dickie Bennett. But that is assuming he is being truthful about his desire to betray Limehouse. Limehouse could have ordered him to play Bennett that way...

11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I think this has to be considered a possibility. Limehouse has been ahead of the game all season long and if it turns out his lieutenant is a double agent whose ultimate loyalty still belongs to Limehouse, that'll fit.

That said, the scenario where the lieutenant really is rebelling against Limehouse is not completely implausible. He's done it once before and was forced back in line. He could have been biding his time since then, really pissed about what Limehouse put him through years ago. The guy doesn't seem to have the juice or smarts needed to take Limehouse out, but maybe he's just too dumb to know it.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Or he could be truthful about his betrayal but just use Dickie Bennett as the coin to forge his relationship with Boyd Crowder. Everyone in Harlan County knows that Boyd desperately wants to settle a score with Bennett.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, now we know the story about Limehouse's lieutenant. That was a whole lot of double crosses, and next week is looking like it might just be one long shoot out.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it just me, or was 75% of that episode someone talking on a cell phone.

Kind of bugged me....

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

It was an okay episode, but with just one more remaining, I have to say that I think last season was significantly better overall. I think season two was helped immensely by the singular focus on the Bennett clan. They might have created too much factions for their own good.

16. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It did seem almost like a throw-away, transitional episode, except for Dickie. [result]Is he dead? My wife says no.[/result]

Anyway, after the set up last week I was expecting more than was actually delivered.

Plus, take the commercials away and it seems like you get about 25 minutes of actual show.

17. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Without a doubt.
    This season has ultimately disappointed, sad to say. It's still one of my favorite shows at the moment, but facts is facts.

My wife has been saying that all along and I've been holding out hope that it would all come together. But the storyline has been far too convoluted for this type of show; and Quarels and Limehouse have not had the narrative heft of Mags Bennett.

I wonder if the absence of Winona and Raylan's private life has been a factor in my disappointment? I literally just thought of that -- and I'm not sure that's the case. I think in the past, those sections have dragged a bit. But perhaps they provide necessary balance.

I think the answer to your question is No, because they usually put a button on those things to let the audience know. And I think the assumption is that we can openly discuss events of episodes that have aired. But I just added an [R] to the thread title, just in case.

1 person likes this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

30 or therabouts.About the same as a network show.

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm on the extreme western edge of the eastern time zone, which makes 30 minutes seem like 25. On the other hand, it makes an hour seem like 72 minutes, which I always thought was a little strange.

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not disappointed in this season, but it definately has been the worst season so far. In the past, every espisode was good, where as this season there been more than a few average espisodes...

I think part of the problem has been character development. They have done a good job with Quarels this season, but Limehouse could have been better. We really don't know much about him and I don't think that he was even mentioned in prior seasons. Also, Raylon seemed to take a back seat during a large part of the season (where as Quarel became more of the focus). Need to find a better balance between Raylon and introducing new bad guy's.

Still, some of the bad guy's who got blown away earlier in the year (thinking of knife in the hand guy) where really good. I had almost hoped that they stayed on longer...

Still one of my favorite shows on at the moment, but they do need to step up for next season.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quarles is too freaking over the top with zero redeeming qualities.The only other horrible thing he has left to do is go after Wenona while she's carrying Raylan's unborn child.It's also lost the family dynamics of keeping it strictly Harlan.

A lot of this season has also been homage to other seasons (Loretta getting Mags' money,Arlo talking to his wife,etc.).

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In the preview it appeared as if Quarles is going to kidnap a young man. Likely his son?

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I like this season better than most. The one consistent drawback to it is that (as Russ suggests) the variety of places makes the action seem disjointed at time. Still, they've managed to move the major characters forward in ways that make sense and I think it might have been weird to have yet another local crime boss bob to the surface. With the local syndicates in disarray (Daddy Crowder dead, Mags Bennett dead), lots of folks coming in trying to take over makes sense and--by extension--so does the action being disjointed.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is they had Dixie Mafia working with Miami before,why not now?There'd be people who had a score to settle with Raylan,and he'd have to rely on Boyd even more than he has this year already to save his ass.

Raylan's courtroom speech has made the season for me.Funny shit.

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Maybe a bit of an anti-climax with the way the Quarles plot line ended? Hard to say what I wanted here. I suppose if it had ended in a straightforward showdown with Raylan blowing his nasty ass away, I'd have been more pleased with the result but less satisfied with the lack of complexity.

I'm still confused about what happened with Limehouse and Errol there at the very end. Are we supposed to assume that Errol's roots with Limehouse ran too deep for him to just let it go when he saw trouble heading Limehouse's way, despite the fact that he'd just been put on the street by the guy?

I will say that the bit about the implications of Arlo's shooting "the cop in the hat" (and the look on Winona's face when it dawned on her) was unexpected and interesting. And the russian roulette scene with Wynn Duffy was funny (and really well done by Jere Burns).