Justified on FX [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Justified on FX

I hope so. But I also suspect the Dixie Mafia will be involved in a big way, too, since that was hinted at some last season. Might be a way to keep Raylan and Boyd in that interesting "are they allies or enemies?" territory.

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw something about a criminal big shot from Detroit being a major part of the season, which to me a "will they or won't they" story line for Boyd and Raylan more likely.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

That's too bad, I kinda liked the Boyd and Raylan dynamic in season two.

I do agree with Bungadiri, the Dixie mafia was referenced too often in season two for them not to make some sort of appearance in season three.

4. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Season 3 starts tonight.

As my avatar would say, Iyem a heppy, heppy ket.

5. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That more than lived up to my expectations.

6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. Dialogue is still great (and it's especially nice to see some banter going on between him and Art again). Boyd is still a mystery. The new uber bad guy is scary. Eva is (very much) not dead. And a high body count. Good stuff.

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That blonde haired guy who always plays the super professional and polite villain in his roles is a hell of an actor. He can match Margo in her role.

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    I assume you meant the guy on the left (Neal McDonough), but both he and Jere Burns as Win Duffy look like a lot of fun.

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That guy also played the season-long foe of Michael Weston on the past season of Burn Notice.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that guy. He played the villian on a season of Desperate Housewives as well and did really well.

He was also setup on an episode of Terriers to play a larger role but the show was canceled.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I will always think of him as Buck Compton from Band of Brothers. :)

12. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. What's funny is that role is one of the few nice guys he's played. Something about his coloring/eyes makes him look evil, and those are the roles he gets.

13. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

supposedly Guarnere is supposed to be involved in this season.

Then again, it's a Boomtown reunion, Compton, Guarnere and Mykelti Williamson.

All we need is Luz...dah-dah-dah-dah-dah.

14. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He sure made one hell of an entrance.

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good times are back,boys. :)

My apologies for being late to the party with episode comments this season-we're DVRing the episodes to watch when the baby lets us.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I just started watching the show - I'm still feeling my way around but I like what I see so far.

Now, I have neither the interest nor the time to watch the first two seasons - is there anywhere I can get a primer on the characters and past plot points that would improve my viewing experience? (i.e., I don't need anything exhaustive, just enough to not get lost)

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hell yeah he did. I guess Guarniere and Carla Gugino were to be in just one episode.

There goes the Boomtown Reunion.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I sincerely hope they don't turn Carla into one corner of a new love triangle... :rolleyes:

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

You should watch season 2 as it's excellent.

Here's the breakdown:

Raylen was stationed in Florida where he met with a drug kingpin who he dared to draw on him. The kingpin took the bait and Raylen shot him but it was justified (see what I did there) because kingpin drew first. Then got booted back to the KY office. That shootout became underworld legend so bad guys like testing him (such as Mr. Ice Pick in the 1st episode).

He's originally from Harlan County and was friends with Boyd growing up. Boyd is now a neo-Nazi, drug dealer who wants to be the king of Harlan.

He's seeing Ava who used to be married to his brother before she shot him after he beat her. Raylen and Ava also used to have a thing. Boyd supposedly found God at the end of the 1st season but is obviously still working through underhanded dealings.

The guy Boyd went to in prison was Dickie. Dickie's family was a big part of last season (which I still highly recommend). His family and Raylen's had a Hatfield/McCoy sort of feud going back decades. At one point during a highschool baseball game Dickie beaned Raylen who then got up and took a bat to Dickie's knee (thus the limp). They aren't fans of each other.

Raylen's dad works for/with Boyd but Raylen hated him long before that.

Raylen and his pregnant girlfriend used to be married, she divorced him then remarried a dirty real esate guy. That guy got in deep with the Dixie Mafia and Win Duffy, the blonde mustachiod gentleman above who always seems to be a thorn in the side of Raylen.

Raylen's boss is the old guy Art. Art has saved Raylen's ass numerous times, even when Raylen didn't quite adhere to protocol. Raylen's two partners are the sniper and the black girl. Every time the show tries to focus a story on them at all, it usually gets bogged down or boring.

The creator/head writer has strongly hinted that Carla Gugino's guest appearance this week was supposed to Elmore Leonard's great character Karen Sisco but I don't think she'll be back too often.

Anyone else can feel free to hit on any main points I may have missed. I tried to not be spoiler on the prior season because once again Season 2 is awesome.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

You forgot to mention Mags Bennett. She alone makes season two worth seeing. ;)

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

She definitely does and I thought about mentioning her but I didn't think I could without being spoilery.

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My wife blocked her view of the TV with a newspaper during that scene.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My quill shall stand down.

THAT'S who that guy was. Man, it was killin' me...

Like russ, I just caught up due to DVR issues and spousal co-watching commitments.

Love Buck Compton as the bad guy. He's most excellent.

Concur with the above comment about the thaw between Art and Raylan. That dynamic is so good, when they're at odds, when they're partners. Always quality.

Also, there was a moment between Winona and Art in the hospital in Ep.1 -- it seemed she might want to confess about the whole moneybag fiasco, but Art just moved her along.

And Carla Gugino v. Natalie Zea? Holy Sam. Nice work if you can get, as I could make powerful arguments on both sides. (Probably Zea by the slightest of intangibles.)

Geek Note:
    When Raylan and the ill-fated secretary are having a drink, she mentions her father had a hat like Raylan's, "..but with a shorter brim." To which Raylan responds "a business man's Stetson."

That's the original Raylan Givens hat as outlined by Elmore Leonard, that I posted about in one of my earlier long-winded geek-outs above.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Has anyone read the just released Justified novel that Leonard wrote?

It's his first full-length using Raylen's character.

[​IMG]

I haven't yet but I wanted to get some opinion's on it.

1 person likes this.
  25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wha-Wha-Whaaaaaat?

I went on a Leonard binge last year and was debating what my next one would be.

Question: answered.