Justified on FX [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Justified on FX

Not sure how I feel about the sort of bait'n'switch.

It seemed like the whole Mags thing was being sewn up, and now it seems back to square one -- because Raylin tried to jail Dickie? For killing Helen, who Mags actually liked?

That seems a lot less compelling a reason than Raylin popping Coover in the chest, which Mags seems to have gotten over.

I also was a bit iffy on the Dickie scene in the forest, where he was bawling like John Turturro in Miller's Crossing. I know Dickie's a pathetic character, but I would have thought he'd been just a wee bit more "F.U. Raylin" in a situation like that.

Thirdly -- Dickie seemed to make Arlo as Arlo was limping out of the barn. It's not too believable that Arlo would have surmised that. I don't remember a shot of them eyeballing each other.

I'm thinking that Duffy character might be gone, which is a shame since that actor has created a perfectly hilarious weirdo.

And Winona just gets more beautiful each week.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I'm willing to accept it as Mags being too damned mean to let it go once the main reason for her giving it up--her respect for Helen--is out of the picture. She was pretty conflicted about it and she was itching for a fight after the locals called her out for selling them down the river on the Black Pike deal. That last bit--her itching for a fight--is more speculative, admittedly, but I do think she's been the alpha female so long she's just unwilling to let any kind of challenge go by.

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I may have missed something. What leads you to believe that Mags is involved again?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Unless somehow he had a hunch.

I am sure we will see him again.

She was even hotter on Dirty Sexy Money.

4. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasnt aware that was the finale. I was thinking there was a couple of episodes left.

I thought it was an appropriate ending. Dickie is too stupid to die and should make a nice bitch in prison.

Anyone think she was going to poison Raylan? For whatever reason, I knew when she grabbed the glass from underneath that she was going to kill herself rather than go to prison for murder.

I cant decide which season I like better.

Storylines for next season:

Boyd taking over as kingpin of Harlan County
    Does Ava live?
    Raylan and Winona and baby
    Raylan's relationship with Art and the Marshall Service

5. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Between the "previously on" bit from when Walt McCready was poisoned, and the mention of "applie pie", I thought she was up to something. I read Raylan's expression after he says "What have you done, Maggs?" as reflecting his own uncertainty about which glass (or both) she put the poison in.

I think so; it's pretty hard to see Boyd leaving the house if he didn't think she was going to survive.

For me, their conversation about Loretta suggests "a river between [them] with no bridge to cross it". The attraction is strong, but so is the conflict between them.

It didn't seem to me that Art was in a forgiving mood.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have to wonder if Winona kept talking to Art and that's why he showed up in time to help Raylan (though what she'd have to say to him that would have helped is a mystery to me).

I expect that Winona and Raylan will start next season separated.

I hadn't read anything about the season ended, so as soon as I saw Mags pick up glasses from separate places I figured she was checking herself out.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sad to see Mags go (I knew she was killing herself.)...

First couple of espisodes this season were fine, but then, they hit a tale wind and really took off. Great, great season. I told my wife that it will be hard to top this season.

With Modern Family, this is my favorite show on TV at the moment.

8. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont know that I would put it above SOA but it is up there.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Next season, if they don't partner up Dickie 'n' Dewey (the OG knucklehead from Season 1) for a rock'em-sock'em shitbird braintrust of incompetent ne'er do wells, then I shall be writing a stern letter of reproach.

This was good finale, but the season as a whole was pretty great. As I said earlier, the Art / Raylan tension has become a great storyline. When Winona went into Art's office, I thought she was going to confess about taking the money so Art would help Raylan get the new job out of town.

But I have to say, I'm a little disappointed they relied on Art yet again loading up the calvary and saving Raylan's ass -- which was basically the second last-minute rescue for Raylan in 15 minutes of television. Which I found slightly more forced than compelling. I preferred Art's original position of 'Raylan's made this mess, and you expect me to jeopardize my officers for him?'

Because here's the question in my head which informs that disappointment:
    Has Raylan actually caused more problems than he's solved?

I don't really know the answer there -- but I think of the coal company deal and all the crap that's gone on around that. He has stopped a big environmental disaster, and crushed the Bennet family. But the bodies just pile up behind him. I guess he's still in the black.

Trivia Alert:
    The character Wade who knew Loretta's father and who Loretta hired to take her to Harlan was played by James LeGros.
    LeGros was the first actor to portray the character Raylan Givens, appearing in a 1997 TV version of the Leonard novel Pronto (which is a very fun read).
    Per Elmore Leonard, prior to the filming of Justified:
    Olyphant does not wear this hat.
    [​IMG]

Although his is a damn sight closer than LeGros' hat.
    [​IMG]

Trivia Alert, Part II:
    I used to play in a pick up basketball game with LeGros at the Hollywood Y, a loooooooooooooong time ago.

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Raylan has saved a lot of lives and I dont think there is a person he has killed that didnt make the world a better place. He saved Loretta from being killed this season which was big. They also saved that pregnant women from being cut open and killed earlier in the season.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's another loose end-Boyd paid Doyle's deputy to side with him.But I never saw him do anything else after that.Did i miss something?

Will he take over as sheriff and was he the guy who called the Marshals instead of Art heeding Winona??('cause you're right- there's no good reason given as to why Art changes his mind).

Have to find out next season,I reckon.:cool:

12. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My assumption was that the deputy Boyd paid off gave Boyd the information that they were going to be hit by the Bennetts. That's why those guys were waiting in Eva's garage to ambush them (how Dickie got in the house to shoot Eva is a bit of artistic license / or he snuck in during the mayhem).

Also that's how Boyd's cousin in the wheelchair knew they were coming to his house (although blowing up his whole house seemed like a big ask just to kill some thugs).

And I have no doubts that the double-crosser will be the new sheriff and in cahoots with Boyd. But I don't think he was involved with Art--I do think Art just gave in.

For me, though, the loose end seemed to be the money Boyd returned to the Bennetts. Considering he knew he would be essentially going to war with them during that parlay/sit-down, I'm surprised he handed over all that cash. I think he would have gained just as much time and goodwill by simply saying he would hand over the cash. And that cash basically disappeared into the Bennett household with all the cops there at the end, so it's most likely gone.

PS:
    I've found myself re-watching Deadwood from the beginning. Man that's a great show.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

If I ever start a band I'm naming it The Gleets or The Hoopleheads.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

E.B. Farnum and The Bootlickers

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I watched the first three episodes of season one on DVD. I really like it.
    I feel like this show's true strength is the charm of the cast more than anything else.

16. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In vaguely related news...

NBC will also try turning an Elmore Leonard story into a TV show

I don't want to say that it is completely inevitable that this will suck mightily...

... so please allow me to introduce my little green friend from Dagobah:

"Suck mightily, this will."

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they move this to USA to replace Royal Pains or Necessary Roughness next summer,I'll be pissed.

18. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I picture it ending up on the USA Network.

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

*high five*

Probably my favorite show of the past 3-4 years. :)

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sweet!

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I rate it right behind SOA and Dexter as my fav shows.

23. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

It'll really be hard for them to come up with a better antagonist for this season than Mags Bennett.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's going to be Boyd. The previews indicate that Boyd has gone bad again and he will be hunting Boyd and his gang.

FX has been running previews like crazy for the upcoming season. They dont give a lot away but one is of Boyd and his group running through the woods with guns and Boyd finding Raylan's hat leaning against a tree. Another is of Raylan sitting in a rocking chair and shooting a bottle of percocet with his pistol.