Justified on FX [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bungadiri, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Justified on FX

I'm hoping that's on Comcast OnDemand. I tried taping one of the late replays and my cable decided to spaz out.

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Recorded it because it looked decent. Hadn't gotten around to watching it yet.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The wife and I watched it tonight, both really enjoyed it. Season pass set to record. FX has some really great shows.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

The main character has that cocky self-assuredness that you only get by being absolutely certain of the future. Like if you were a character in a story where the writer knows what will happen to you and not a real person. I like that effect in movies, but I don't know how it will work in a series.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, he came across as a bit of a superman and that could get old eventually. But it might be sustainable if they base his self-assuredness in his tendency for self-destruction.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watched last night. I think the series has a lot of potential. After Hitman, I became a big fan of Olyphant. I haven't seen his best work which appears to be in Deadwood (going to buy Deadwood soon).

I like that it had a different vide than a typical TV series. Now, if I can just figure out why it wasn't in HD on Dish...

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Olyphant character was no more self assured than the Goggins character.

I liked the way Searcy played the chief/head marshall.

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I didn't like it as much as I had hoped. I'll give it a couple more episodes though.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought it was fantastic. I think Olyphant's self-assuredness comes from fearlessness. If you dont care about living and dieing it is easy to have that attitude. I thought it worked well.

I think he has some inner demons that are going to come to light over the course of the show. I am looking forward to the next episode.

11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought it was certainly one of hte best pilots that I've ever seen. I went in with sky high expectations: show based on an Elmore Leonard character/story, Timothy Olyphant sort of repising his Deadwood role in the mordern world, Walton Goggins, on FX. How many other ways can they build I show that I will be sure to like.

I doubt I would have been disappointed if I had paid $10 to see that in the theater except that I wouldn't have gotten to see Ava naked.

I'm really excited for the season. The pilot was a nice self contained package but you could easily see where they can take it, especially with that final scene.

I'm hooked.

12. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would just like to publicly complain once more about Walter Goggins not even being nominated for an Emmy, when he clearly should have won, for his final season of The Shield. Especially those last few episodes.

13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's his name. Even you, as a fan of his, can't get it right ;)

Walter Groggins
    Walter Goggins
    Walton Gorgon

He should have gotten himself a good stage name, he would have been shoe-in.

He's doing great work here too in a very different role, which emphasizes how good he was in The Shield.

1 person likes this.
  14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So for some reason, I had presumed this show would be more open with broader arcing storylines -- a la The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, Deadwood, etc. -- and less formal, i.e. a straight ahead, police procedural, focusing on one crime/criminal/event per episode.

After two episodes, it's clear there are certainly characters and stories that will evolve throughout the season, but based on the first two episodes it seems each week will be much more tidy and self contained.

That said, they've been very, very enjoyable. I was impressed how they crammed four quite interesting, totally new yet disposable characters -- the bank robber, the drummer, the con's ex-wife, and the cousin/boyfriend -- into one hour while still continuing the over-arching plot lines.

I'll definitely keep watching.

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. I thought the show would be more season long arc, but there were hints of that here. I don't think they dumped it for a law and order type procedural.

I can't agree more that the quick character development was a home run. That is a hallmark of Leonard's work. You just know so much about his characters right from the first sentences they utter due his incredible ability with dialog. Yost who wrote this episode seems to have learned well.

The Raylan/Ava relationship is white hot. They light up the screen.

The old grizzled, non-violent criminal and his more brash, violent sidekick is found often in Leonard's work and is used really well here.

"not just dildos"

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm hooked. Love the supporting characters in each episode. Good stories and character rich - mark of a winner. Keep them coming...

17. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Finally watched the first couple from the dvr...

Glad I gave the second episode a shot after being underwhelmed by the first. It was ok, but it's not something that would have made me give up time doing other things.

Really enjoyed the 2nd episode (about the escaped convict). That had a decidedly Elmore Leonard feel to it. I liked the escaped convict character quite a bit.

Might watch the show again. Probably will. But, the truth is, I can only handle so much backwoods redneck.

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read that there season long arc is slowly building and halfway through the season it will switch over to focus on that but right now they are using this single episode story lines for some character development.

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rather weak third episode.
    Didn't like the story, didn't like - or really believe - the characters, and didn't like the love angle. Both the pool game and the closing scene just didn't connect with me or with each other much.

Still love Olyphant in this role, though. I'll give it some more time.

20. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just dont understand his "love" for Ava. She doesnt seem that intriguing to me and all of a sudden he is talking about having something to make him stay in Kentucky. It just doesnt seem to fit to me.

21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that's the one part that's not working for me either...

22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I've felt like in each episode the scenes with Raylon and Ava were full of white hot chemisty. It played fairly believably and built to him just not caring about what was proper or legal anymore. He's human and she's hot. There are only so many times she can throw herself at him before he caves.

Givens is also angry and a little self destructive so it makes sense that he might substitute his love for his ex with the lust for Ava.

I liked the pool scene to, normally pool scenes involve lots of smacked balls and perfect shots. They both sucked, very real.

The overall story of the episode wasn't as strong as the other 2 but still had some nice moments. All the gardening lines from multiple characters being particularly good.

23. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Solid episode with Edward Norton. Best one yet.

24. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Edward Norton? Did you see an episode that hasnt been aired or something?

25. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Oops. I could have sworn that was Edward Norton. It was actually someone named Alan Ruck.