Jurgen Klinsmann on RB situation

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tom Collingsworth, Nov 16, 2013.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries be damned, i cannot think of a more unreasonably ostracized member of the player pool than this guy. Even if he was healthy I dont think he would have been given the dignity or the pleasure.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    castillo, decent game? What? I firmly believe klinsmann is having a hard time seeing how bad his favorites (brek,EJ,Castillo, etc.) Can be. He's gives zero time to harrington,KLute and only 8 minutes to Agudelo and. 1 to Boyd.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Completely agree. It's really head-scratching. Almost as if he has to get back to the EPL or some other first tier league in order to force JK's hand. He's definitely a talent and you wonder if JK is regretting not calling him in more after seeing Castillo, again, struggle at LB.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  4. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm long-since over Klinsmann's talent evaluation. It's a huge blind spot for him, and if we weren't already looking completely overmatched, it would probably cost us dearly in Brazil.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I think Lichaj should be neck deep in the national team pool now, getting a call up to the NT is neither a dignity nor a pleasure. It is an honor and usually a deserved honor. No one is owed a NT call-up. It is not beneath of the dignity of someone to not receive a call-up. I think JK has been dead wrong on Lichaj, especially when you have a guy like Evans, a fine player, but certainly not the best American right back, who seems to have that position locked down. But he isn't part of the picture right now. So be it. Even if he was part of the picture, the guy has a real hard time staying healthy, and this current injury is going to be one of the Edu like injuries that recurs until he has the dreaded "sports hernia" surgery and completes a 4 month recovery program I bet.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, been sayin that for awhile now, both outside back spots.

7. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    What about Zusi or Bedoya at RB?

8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Zusi has never played RB and his defense on the wings alone has been suspect (see Jamaica away and CR away which got him pulled in the 55th). Bedoya was tried at RB for ~35 mins down in Panama and it was ugly. He's effective as a RWB where he played vs. PSG in a 5 man backline but otherwise you probably wouldn't want him there. We have to solid options in both Cameron and Chandler. Lichaj was doing very well for Nottingham at RB where he displaced a Chilean who had 50+ Nat'l team caps but JK seemed to not really recognize his play there until the Euro friendly call up. I think Lichaj would be beter used at LB where we struggle but I'd prefer him to Brad Evans if it came down to it.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #459 OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    Chandler out for the season, he's done for this cycle. Michael Parkhurst, please seize the carp. If Parkhurst isnt healthy, I think many people's worst fears of Brad Evans making the roster will come into fruitition.

deuteronomy repped this.
  10. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Parkhurst is likely Beasley's back-up at left back (and Klinsmann has repeatedly stated recently that he sees Fabian as a mid, not a full-back).With Cherundolo and Chandler out, it seems virtually certain the right backs will be Cameron and Evans.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im hoping Parky can be both of their backups honestly, maybe even push for the starting left back spot so we can can bring in a surplus midfielder maybe.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As of right now RB who will probably not be available.

1) Cherundolo (probably retired)
    2) Chandler (out)
    3) Lichaj (out indefinitely)
    4) Spector (will get injured somehow)

dlokteff, DiscoWarrior11 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laughed. I shouldnt have, but I did. Because its true

14. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly at this point, can we play 3 across the back with two defensive minded mids in front of them. We can play 5 back during most of the game. It is the only way I am comfortable with this backline in our group.
    ---------------------Jozy---------------------
    --------------Landon--Zues---------------
    -------------------Bradley-----------------
    --------------------Jones------------------
    Fabian----------------------------Cameron
    ----------Besler--Omar--Brooks-----------

Something like this. Landon and Zues can spread left and right to take presure off the flanks, and Jones and Bradley can shield the back 5 from deep runs.

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector, since his microfracture hip surgery, back around 2007 will never have the elite (turning) quickness
    to be an option at the highest level.

He is a nice player and it would be fun to meet his Mom sometime.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff cameron is looking like the most likely.

17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    What's the source for this? I thought he was coming back in about 3 weeks.

18. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I'd still take him over Evans though because he's actually playing RB for his club (and at a reasonable level).

For me I want to see Parkhurst as the back up to Geoff at RB. On the left side give Garza from Club Tijuana a shot to beat out Beasley for the #1/#2 LB spot. If Garza doesn't pan out just let Parky back up both Fabian and Geoff.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no probably about it.......................

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta 3h
    Hannover announce press conference regarding #usmnt RB Steve Cherundolo. Retirement suggested http://www.neuepresse.de/Hannover-96/Aktuell/Cherundolo-Verkuendet-er-heute-das-Karriere-Aus

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So we're one injury away of seeing a CR7-Evans duel.

Ouch.

OGx3 repped this.
  22. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better not be seeing any of our RBs locked in a duel with CR7 or else we have a huge tactical failing in management. Where is Frankie? He was always fearless (even if nobody thought he would perform well until he did)

23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Me too.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if parkhurst has a good spring I dont see why he wouldnt be the fulback cover.

Parkhurst vs CR7 is a bit better right?

OGx3 repped this.
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, yes it is.