News: Julian Green Opts For USA Over Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sure he could but any Bundesliga minutes for an 18 yr old, for Bayern Munich is pretty insane. Does it suck he can't play the next couple weeks? Sure, but I think he's kind of shown in pre-season and in training the type of player he is. His big opportunity is more the send-off series camps while minutes for Bayerns 1st is really kind of bonus material that can really elevate him. Anyways, just my two cents.

2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Your hand cushions your fall, not your shoulder.

Maybe I am totally confused about when he got hurt. But it seemed to happen when he turned awkwardly and lost his balance and fell/sat down. Had his hand out to break his fall a little and maybe it jarred his shoulder.

Seemed like a pretty low impact incident for a 4 week injury.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    3 Weeks*

4. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    But the game was a week ago?

Either way. He basically just sat on the grass. Still odd.

5. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think putting your arm out puts strain on the shoulder more. I know of someone that broke a collarbone tipping over in a chair and trying to cushion the fall with the hand.
    I think it is just one of those if you get the angle right (or wrong I guess) you can get hurt.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reccossu is wondering why he doesn't just pop it back into place like Riggs and get back to playing.

DiscoWarrior11, CTS26, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Tampa-born Julian Green the future of US Soccer
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...cles/bhsn/2014/4/17/tampa_born_julian_gr.html

BostonRed repped this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What the legacy of David Regis says about the USMNT's Julian Green
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...vid-regis-says-about-usmnts-julian-green-word

wsmaugham, Namdynamo and tab5g repped this.
  9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That MLS.com article may not the worst thing in the world -- but it did just cut me off without using its blinker and made me miss that green light.

And I'm in a big f/cking hurry.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    falling with your arm and hand outstretched is a very classic way to tear your rotator cuff in your shoulder when you land. I know from (painful) experience :(

11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a great article that @Scotty found. I am starting translating at the USA relevant stuff, which is most of the article. I don't have a ton of time, so I am condensing a bit here and there. And I got chill bumps a couple of times typing it out! (please forgive typos, didn't get a chance to proof read)
    http://www.dw.de/bayern-talent-green-wm-start-für-die-usa-ist-mein-großes-ziel/a-17575152

You decided in March to play for the USA? How did you come to this decision?
    It was a difficult decision, and I took my time making it. The training camp in Frankfurt made the difference. I often talked with management (I guess the USA) and my family and discussed the sporting and organizational questions with them. My father lives in Florida, we have regular contact and the connection with him through the years has always been strong. That was another reason for the decision. And my Mother told me to follow my heart, which is what I did. Both the German and the American side of my family were happy and satisfied with my decision.

It was also reported that you spoke with Hansi Flick, Löw's assistant in the German national team. What was that about?
    Yes, I spoke with him, and he also mapped out my perspective (with Germany). But he didn't put me under any pressure in any way, and it was a very good talk. I know that this meeting wasn't something that had to take place, and I was very thankful to him for it. Ultimately it was my decision to play for the USA.

There are many German-Americans in the USA team. Did that influence your decision?
    No, I wouldn't say that. I just really enjoyed the camp in Frankfurt with the whole team, not just the German players. We trained together, and I felt very comfortable with all of them.

How would you describe your relationship with JK?
    He devoted a lot of time to me in Frankfurt, explained the philosophy of the team to me and training went very, very well. JK played for the German national team for 10 years, is a European and World champion. When somebody like him puts his faith in you, that's a big compliment, especially for an 18yo.

How was the game against Mexico?
    That was a highlight and the fact that it was against Mexico gave me a lot of motivation. Playing in front of 60,000 people was awe-inspiring. It was a lot of fun, and I am very thankful to the coach and the players for their trust in me.

How has the team accepted you?
    They have welcomed me with open arms and have helped me a lot. Clint Dempsey gave me a jersey when we were in Frankfurt and said that the team would be very happy if I were to play for the USA. That was a nice gesture and showed that they believed in me.

Do you think you will be on the team for Brazil?
    That's my big goal. I will give it my all for it to happen. Ultimately, the coach decides.

USA-Germany on June 26, who wins?
    Soccer will never have the same importance in the USA compared to Germany. But my impressions have been very positive, and I think the USA is an up and coming soccer nation. But of course Germany is the favorite.

What result is realistic for the USA in the very difficult group G?
    It really is a tough group. We are not the favorites, but what I have learned so far about the US team, the team will give it their all and take their chances.

Dervos, Statman, wsmaugham and 7 others repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    He needs to get on script. The US wins on June 26 because Germany will already be through on 6 points.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    or because we just give them a beating. Remember how close it was in 2002. No reason to fear them.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, no reason to fear them. But now is the time to be messing with them and inflating their ego by assuring everyone (although we have no way of knowing) that Germany will be on 6 points by the time the US plays them.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Judging from recent history, the Germans should have 6 points by then, indeed.

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Of course.

There is no indication that the Germans won't be in the knockout round (or that they couldn't get there with a game to spare).

The challenge could be the two games (in unfamiliar settings and) against pretty good opponents ahead of that USA/GER match.

The USA certainly could get a point or 3 against Germany (no matter how many points each team has by 6/26), but even that result for the USA might not be enough to get them to the second round (or to keep Germany out of it).

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS writer says damn you Green. We want Brad Davis and EJ!

18. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Meh, I think Agoos, Lalas, et. al. are permanently scarred and all they see is David Regis, Steve Sampson, Wynalda's wife and six midfielders everywhere they look.

Yeah, you should learn from history, but there is a lot more different about this than there is similar. First of all, clearly we are talking about someone who is competing for one of the final spots in as opposed to a last minute change to a starting defender, benching of a long term player and keeping a long term player at home. In 1998 there were a lot of players who felt entitled to be on the team and start, since we had zero depth. I seriously doubt guys like Davis, Eddie Johnson, or whoever else might not make it if Green does, feels all that entitled. And if they do, they really shouldn't. I'd question how they would handle their role as the 22nd/23rd player if they did actually feel entitled. Secondly, from everything we've heard, it sounds like the actual team leaders on this current team are more than happy to have Green come in a compete for a spot.

Yes Lalas and Agoos have "been in the locker room," but they haven't been in this locker room and are simply speculating with an obvious case of David Regis PTSD.

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #944 KALM, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    The thing about that '98 team is that there was so much upheaval (for a variety of reasons) that it's probably impossible to isolate the individual changes to identify which ones were actually bad for the team.

Here's the '94 World Cup first XI by minutes played:

-------------------Meola---------------------
    Clavijo-----Lalas------Balboa-----Caligiuri
    Ramos-----Dooley---Sorber---------Harkes
    -------------Wynalda--Stewart--------------

Here's the '98 World Cup first XI by minutes played:

---------------------Keller----------------------
    ------------Pope---Dooley---Regis------------
    Hejduk-----Moore--Maisonneuve-----C.Jones
    ----------------Stewart--Reyna-----------------
    --------------------McBride---------------------

Aside from Stewart and a seriously aging Dooley, that's pretty much an entirely different team and an entirely different formation. I've done similar minutes comparisons for other consecutive World Cup cycles, and there's pretty much nothing that looks anything like that in those comparisons.

Mr Martin repped this.
  20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are referencing a game from 12 years ago.

Jesus, Donovan has been around a while.

deejay repped this.
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that team was not too shabby. Landon, Beaz, Reyna, Pope, McBride… and Friedel... Them boys could play.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Those dredging up the Regis decision are forgetting the "Agoof" vs. Jamaica in RFK in October '97 that stank up the entire national team for a good long while. Which he then followed up with a stupid red card in the Azteca.

There was a "help wanted" sign on the left back position after that for very good reasons.

I'm old enough now that de-contextualized arguments from moments in history or soccer history irritate the hell out of me, and this is one of them. You'd think from the article that Regis was some whimsical notion instead of outright desperation caused by the consistently poor play of Agoos. It was definitely the latter.

UxSxAxfooty, dwsmith1972, DHC1 and 7 others repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Julian Green slept with Eric Wynalda's wife?!?

No wonder Jurgen beat our back four so easily in 1998.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Julian Green was undergoing training (that is, potty training) in 1998.

Man, are we old.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    This part in particular irritates me in the MLSsoccer article:

In a span of 10 weeks, an unproven, unfamiliar player who has spent nearly his entire life in Europe could be wearing the red, white and blue for the US national team in their seventh consecutive World Cup appearance.

All without doing a single thing to help them get there.

Green didn’t make one appearance in the USMNT’s slog through World Cup qualifying. He didn’t endure the controversy that surrounded adjusting to an unconventional coach. He wasn’t part of an often-contentious locker room that somehow rallied around adversity. He didn’t have the chance to form a bond with his teammates during tense moments in crucial qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico.

And yet when the final roster for Brazil is named, it’s possible that he’ll take the place of a player who did all of those things.

We played our first qualifier just two days after Green turned 17 years old, and he didn't make his 1st-team debut until a few months ago. In fact, he was still an 18-year-old amateur when the Hexagonal ended.

So of course he didn't help us qualify. How could he have??

But from reading Freedman's piece you could almost get the impression that he was a seasoned pro who was just sitting on the fence, waiting for us to secure a spot in Brazil before committing to the cause.

Dervos repped this.