Julian Green (Bayern Munich): In-N-Out: Julian Green on loan at Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gmonn, Tom Collingsworth, (TxT) and 2 others repped this.
  3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  4. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    with his inclusion with mnt tonight, forget him playing in u20WC. doesn't make sense now because he is at higher level, doesn't need exposure and doesn't get paid with u20 team.

comoesa repped this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Paul Pogba can play at a U20 World Cup.....

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just depends how his career advances with Bayern and the USMNT over the next year. We'll see. Julian is still more of a prospect than than a first-team performer.

In the summer of 2015 we'll have the Gold Cup and the U20 World Cup. It's unlikely that a player goes to both due to the close timing of the tournaments, but we've had guys at both in the past. Michael Bradley did.

And of course we still have to qualify for the U20 World Cup with predominantly domestic talent. So we'll cross that U20WC bridge when we get there.

8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is no one commenting on his debut? oh what could've been if that foul/penalty had been called. he looked okay. very raw, but okay. i think/hope he's officially bumped shea off the bus as the late spark/wildcard.

9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #1559 ckl26, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    What I liked from him:
    - Off ball movement when on offense. You can tell with the people he''s trained with that he's got the quick touch and then looking to wheel it downfield to receive the ball again
    - Linked up well with Dempsey twice..once putting him in a very good scoring position
    - Drew (what should have been) a PK according to JK, at the very least a FK in a very dangerous spot
    - Drew two Mexican defenders on more then one occasion...something Shea and Davis (his competition) struggle with
    - Wasn't afraid to take those defenders on...shows some kahones
    - 9/14...2 passes were also due to the receiving player not moving correctly to the ball. Not too bad given the context of the match.

Areas to improve
    - The header wasn't great but being that far away from the goal he should have maybe let it go out of bounds instead...either way Omar and Beltran have to play that a bit better
    - Two passes that were pretty aloof but that can probably be attributed to nerves

Overall I think he's got a very shot on the 23 however he probably won't see much of the field if at all in Brazil. He can also look to Yedlin as he had a maybe an even shakier performance with nerves and all vs S Korea but then strung together a solid outing last night vs a better team on a bigger stage.

Winoman and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's a guy that will get better when it comes to 'geling' with the team.

He has the skills, confidence taking guys on, and technique/soccer brain as I could tell when he was in tight quarters he made the right passes, decisions, runs/holding his position last night that showed me he can contribute right away.

I want to see him on the 23, as a sub option or a surprise start depending on how and if he keeps progressing. I have a gut feeling he will--but it will take PT to get that out of him with the NT.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bottom line for his Brazil prospects is that there are no more matches currently scheduled between now and the deadline for the 30-man roster, so it's probably safe to assume he's on it unless he gets seriously hurt. There are two matches before the final roster deadline, so if he's a serious candidate for the final 23 you'd think we see him get more time in at least one of those.

OT perhaps, it seems that while the final 23 can only be selected from the original 30, any emergency replacements are not bound in that way. That was news to me...

Winoman and ckl26 repped this.
  12. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He showed some glimpses on offense, but struggled defensively. He was ball watching on the second goal, and the header started the attack which led to goal. I know pressuring to get the ball back immediately is an area of focus for both Bayern and the US, so I'm sure his shortcoming will be addressed.

It was also probably the biggest game he's ever played in, I think with a little more experience and bulk he'll be fine. I'd still rather have him off the bench than Brad Davis.

Winoman and USAMEX10 repped this.
  13. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly he's 18 years old and plays in the 4th division of Germany. Considering that I thought he did okay especially because the Mexican players made an effort to rough him up a bit. He has a promising career ahead of him and I'll be excited to see him for the 2016 Olympic qualifying when he's a bit more seasoned.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  14. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think this summer is going to be very important for him as far as his development, and I dont mean the World Cup. It will be interesting to see what Bayern decides to do with him as far as next season. The preseason will be very important for him.

15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a surprise but Bayern's focus is now on the Champions League according to this article. The regular starters will be getting rested from here on out. There is no mention of Green, however.
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...diola_die-bundesliga-ist-fuer-uns-vorbei.html

And this article says Julian is questionable for FCB II's Sunday match against Hof. It says he's carrying a small injury from the Mexico game. I guess it is when he slipped and hurt his shoulder.
    http://www.fcbayern.de/de/news/news/2014/vorbericht-juniorteam-fcbayern-ii-040414.php

Tom Collingsworth and Scotty repped this.
  16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In the USA Men: News & Analysis forum they are.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From the FC Bayern website:

Guardiola is likely to ring the line-up changes in the Bavarian derby. “I’m going to rotate the team and the squad a little bit,” the 43-year-old announced, “we can try out a few things ahead of the United match.” The treble winners are definitely without injured trio Thiago, Holger Badstuber and Diego Contento. As always Guardiola declined to reveal his final line-up thoughts prior to the match in front of the customary sell-out crowd at the SGL Arena.

The Bayern boss will rest a handful of his players this weekend, but Augsburg counterpart Markus Weinzierl will be forced to replace half his regular team.

http://www.fcbayern.de/en/news/news/2014/augsburg-preview-040414.php

18. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Well according to Julian Green's dad (who gives out way too much information on twitter, imo) Green has been told he needs to rest his shoulder for three weeks, whatever that means.

19. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It'll be interesting to see who Pep trotts out there...if he throws guys like Weiser and Hojbjerg into the mix then Green might see some time once he comes back.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    According to this piece on the FCB website the prognosis doesn't seem quite so bad. The Bayern 2nd team coach is saying they are going to "wait and see if he will be ready for Sunday":

Auch in der Bayern-Offensive zwickt es noch. Hinter dem Einsatz von Angreifer Julian Green steht ein Fragezeichen. Der Top-Torjäger des FCB II (15 Tore) feierte am Mittwoch sein Nationalmannschafts-Debüt für die USA und kehrte am Freitag leicht angeschlagen aus Arizona zurück. „Wir müssen abwarten, ob er am Sonntag einsatzbereit sein wird“, gab sich ten Hag zurückhaltend.

https://www.fcbayern.de/de/news/news/2014/vorbericht-juniorteam-fcbayern-ii-040414.php

21. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Today would have been his chance:

@fcbayern: Neuer - Sallahi, van Buyten, Martinez, Shaqiri - Kroos , Weiser- Schweinsteiger, Hojberg, Pizarro – Mandzukic #ssnhd #FCAFCB

Three Reserve Team Players starting

22. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yup...Green for sure would have gotten some good PT. Still the rest of the season left though.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaqiri at right back??

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern lost 1-0 unlucky that Green is injured. Would of for sure seen time. Interesting enough is was the second teamers that played the best today

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think I saw this highlight vid on here yet but this is the best one so far for those who haven't seen him play yet:

(sorry if repost)