Judging Destro

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Jan 4, 2013.

?

Is the author of this article

Poll closed Jan 11, 2013.
  1. Too harsh?

75.0%
  2. Too nice?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just right?

25.0%
  1. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    See what i mean

2. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Destro WILL (future tense) become a great player, at the moment starting him over Osvaldo in big games (such as this one agaisnt Napoli) is counter-productive and should not happen when we have a player of Osvaldo's calibre on our roster and sitting on the bench.

Destro should come in as a sub when we are winning, or against lesser teams, let him earn his starting spot in a year or two.

PS. For the record I find Destro to be nowhere above Borini in terms of quality and potential, sure Destro is more technical, but Borini was a much better wide forward... they were simply different players. Call me biased if you will, but I will always be opposed to our mad rush for Destro at the expense of Borini and will always view it in a negative manner.

Midgo repped this.
  3. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Christ, i would rather have Bojan up front

4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or even Borriello. At least he can finish.

Andreas and Capitano_10 repped this.
  5. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And control the ball, even shield it using something called STRENGTH

6. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Borini where are you :cry:

whill4 and Barilla repped this.
  7. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Destro looked sick or something today. He fought well to win back the ball after his errors.

It'll take time

8. Imran_INDIA

Imran_INDIA Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    He is a shit as of now and don't deserve to be in the starting lineup. Send him on loan for a season and let him grow.He will get better with time and experience

9. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I miss Borini :( anybody know how he's doing at Liverpool?

10. chandler63

chandler63 Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Havnt seen him on in a while, and they just bought Sturridge.

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's injured.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    even in spite of his numerous wasted chances, if there's one thing I love about the kid it's his work rate.

13. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    From what I know, Borini has flopped quite well with Liverpool and their fans are starting to hate doing business with Roma already --> Aquilani (20m), Borini (13m) and DOOOOOOOONI (priceless)

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I liked Borini, I'll even go out and say it ... I think Borini would have done better than Destro has.

15. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible to say if he would do better than Destro has. I would think that Borini would be playing one of the outside attacking positions and he's not starting over Totti or Lamela so it stands to reason he would have barely been used anyway.

16. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His technique and movement are great, just finishing is the problem.You can see the talent, just need the killer instinct.

Some statistics

Destro is 21, When Osvaldo was in serie a at young age.Between 21 - 24 year old he scored 8 goals in 46 games. On top of being utter crap with bologna.
    When Cavani was 21 he scored 5 goals in 33 games ( 2007 - 2008 Palermo).
    Radamel Falaco at 21 scored 3 goals in 20 games ( river plate argentina 2006 2007)
    Edin Dzeko at 22 scored 8 goals in 28 league games ( bundesliga)

I am naming some of the best there. The criticims towards this kid is being very harsh, very very harsh. He is displaying talent to me, and I am hopeful of his future.I think its the right investment for the future.
    You can argue tho for this year, for this particular year we might have needed a defender instead of him.

stugotz, Andreas, whill4 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I found Borini comes more of a english type school game, this is why he exploded quickly at early age. The english are good in developing efficiency, in particular shooting and being clinical.

18. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good post. People need to start thinking long term.

19. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    i wish we kept borini instead of buying destro. it would've been cheaper too because we paid more for destro than what we got for borini. also, destro's wages are higher than borini's

borini can be subbed into any 3 of the front 3 positions and perform well. destro can only play well in the middle

20. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Destro: 0
    My 5 year old cousin: 2

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This past summer it seemed like the majority here were saying how we signed this phenomenon and now he is becoming the punching bag.

He's 22 years old and playing for a major club. He's not a regular and therefore every match played is a test. The pressure on the kid is immense, cut him some slack. Strikers live in periods of hot and cold. Nothing is going his way, but he's far from trash. He interprets the movements Zeman requires of him very well, some say even better than Osvaldo. He's doesn't have the confidence of Osvaldo nor is he as clinical but those things will come.

Some of the comments in these last few weeks have bordered on the ridiculous. I read someone saying he was overweight.

Destro has everything required to be a great forward, but he really needs some support from the fans right now. He's going to play again on Wednesday, because everyone's favorite striker got himself sent off like a dope. And on Wednesday the pressure will be even worse on him that it was this past weekend. We wanted to be the team that developed young players. Well this is what it's about. This is the reality, that when the summer blinders wear off you realize these young players are not the phenomenons their YouTube videos make them out to be. More or less the whole forum was happy with his purchase. So now is the time to sustain him, even through the mistakes.

stugotz, shiboboo, iGiallorossi and 2 others repped this.
  22. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an objective observer, the criticism on Destro IS too harsh. He is young, he has good qualities, but he is hitting a dry spell. The problem is that when your central striker isn't scoring and he has ample opportunities - the whole team looks bad. If your striker is struggling, you need someone else to pick up the slack and nobody has done that. When there are no goals we nitpick every other field player for every errant pass.

Goals heal all wounds. Destro has had a ton of chances and the passed two games he hasn't stepped up. So its frustrating and makes people say irrational things like selling all our players or that some of our players are garbage. If we win 2-1 instead of lose 1-0, you don't here any of that.

I hope Destro bounces back against Fiorentina, but if not I don't see how he can regain his confidence because Osvaldo will be back as the main striker.

23. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never liked the Destro deal so I don't feel guilty about my criticism of him. If you read my past posts you will see how from the start I could not understand how Destro fits into Zeman's football better than Borini, or how Borini was an overall inferior player to Destro.

Sure, maybe Destro is a better prima punta and is better than Borini technically, but Borini was a much more versatile player, who could play prima or seconda punta, with Destro you are limited to him in and all out striker position. Borini would score goals when it counted, how many times did he not save us? Borini was someone you could count on when the sh*t hit the fan, I cannot say that about our current strikers, except for maybe Totti.

Finally, my criticism is aimed much more to the management than to the player himself. Blasting all that money for a lovechild player whom we did not need when we had Borini is beyond me; especially when we could have used that money for either a regista or another defender which we clearly do need.

Now, for the sake of mia amata Roma, I do pray Destro improves next match.

24. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Borini situation was unusual and not entirely on the Roma execs. It was not so straight forward as some are saying it was. I do agree that the energy spent getting Destro could have been spent strengthening other areas. I would have been fine with keeping Borini, but it didn't work out that way, and it's not hard to see why Destro was thought of as a suitable replacement.

People beating their chest about how great Borini was don't remember his first couple runs out. He would beat his man and have no clue what to do next while he gallopped around like a drunken baby deer. It took time, but he found his groove, and that was with a micron of the pressure that's on Destro.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Get the heck out of here with your revisionist history. It was entirely on the club.