Judge gives the ultimate red card...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by msilverstein47, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does "bitch slap" mean violence? it sure means that to me

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm well aware of Auria's response to you. But I still don't see how a store clerk basically committing a battery on a young child is any way related to whether a duly appointed officer of the court abused his position by handing out too harsh of a sentence. Your attempt to link the stories because of some perceived "punishment" angle is weak.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weak as it might be...I made my point that IMHO both have overstepped their bounds... and that Auria advocating a "bitch slap" is never acceptable in my book.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The subject of the thread is a judge. He didn't slap anyone- he had a defendant with an attitude and the defendant was sentenced to 30 days behind bars. What's this got to do with some store employee committing assault?

How many windows do you have open? Are you reading two threads at the same time and maybe getting something confused?

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I said I'd give her 60 days because I could. That as in response to a post about her receiving 30 days. You responded with a link about a store employee beating someone with a belt.

Don't know what's bugging you today, but if you won't look into it yourself, no one else here can help you.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see where Auria advocated the judge hitting the defendant. Also, I'm not aware of any type of store clerk where meting out physical (abuse) punishment upon other people's children is part of the job description.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    <bump>

Silverstein, when you make a mistake like this, you don't run from your own thread. You show back up like a man, admit, apologize and carry on.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Agree on both points, but didn't understand this one:

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not trying to be argumentative with you, Jake, but if you agree with Yossarian on both counts (as you should) then you do me a great disservice in even quoting me because msilverstein's post is in no way, shape or form reasonable. There simply isn't any way for him to retionally conclude that I advocate violence from a judge against a defendant from that post. None.

I've told him what I said, it's clear that I'm telling the truth, he's been unrepentant and this is beneath you. Period.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mods, this has just now become ridiculous. I'd appreciate it if one of you would speak to Mr. Silverstein about reading comprehension and possibly about taste. I've addressed the matter twice and he has not returned to correct his errors.

I've said a lot of things to a lot of people but I have NEVER accused ANYONE of advocating violence against women. EVER. I'd also appreciate it if you'd leave the posts as they are- there is no reason to allow someone to say this about me and simply cover it up by deletion.

As you can see, other posters have become involved and one is seemingly willing to suggest that I've done something here to merit the treatment I've received from the OP. I haven't, and it's beyond the pale for anyone to "well, maybe this" away such a gross accusation. This is sickening to read, and even more so to have to experience with others chiming in to offer the OP an out.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Once again, because I didn't do anything to deserve this.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No worries, mate, we know you're not advocating beating on women.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently silverstein doesn't know it. Hell, yeah, I'm pissed off.

If he'd come back and explained earlier, I wouldn't be. But he just left it out there --perhaps deliberately-- and then another poster decided to help dude out, for reasons appraently not related to political leanings (I don't think ms47 is a rightist). No, I'm not going anydamnwhere.

raza_rebel repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about inviting him back with the magic BigSoccer tag thingy - msilverstein47

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok I'm back, yes I will definitely admit here to everyone and also apologize that I was wrong. While you never advocated any violence against women...the use of your context for the word "bitch" in a prior post is clearly demeaning. Nor do I approve of you comparing me (or anyone else for that matter) to an arsehole. I really don't mind if folks curse, but since I'm a referee I believe that directing them at anyone specific should maybe be off-limits. So that's what I have to say, I do apologize again.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're the one taking the use of the word "bitch" out of context.
    Auria never called the woman a bitch.
    he simply used a common term - "bitch slap" that is almost exclusively used in the figurative sense.
    some people say pimp slap, some say bitch slap, the meaning is pretty much the same - and it is almost always meant in a figurative sense.
    it does not imply that the person being slapped is a bitch, or the person doing the slapping in a pimp, and it almost never implies physical violence.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, thread post #8 says that he used the word while I can't say that I approve in the demeaning context in which it was used, I was wrong when I stated that he advocated any violence against women so I do apologize to everyone again.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's not true. I did call her a bitch.

No, I most damn certainly did NOT do that. If I had, he'd have had a point.

Everyone doesn't deserve an apology from you. I do. Thanks for returning and clarifying. I did get your PM but haven't read it yet. Ill go do that now.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for some unknown reason the term "bitch slap" entered my brain and you NEVER said it...I was wrong.

yossarian repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, but you're a hard-arse... everyone knows that ;)

22. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have the article handy, but evidently the woman showed up again to court, was teary and contrite, so the judge took away the 30-day sentence and basically said Let this be a lesson to you, young missy.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A night in jail will do that.... not that I would know.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it was during that time that a British politician was stopped in Philly driving his car and took exception to the officers attitude. He asked the officer for his name and badge number which annoyed the officer even more so the the officer asked him for HIS name, which he told him. At that point the officer, for some utterly unfathomable reason, became so enraged that he punched the British MP in the mouth.

This was the MP in question...

[​IMG]

All in all, a very strange and troubling incident :eek:

25. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    The teenaged brain on drugs or just dumb as dirt.. Whatever it is, it's not a pretty sight.. Adios, chica.