Juandering who we are going to sell next, or does it Mata? - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
  2. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Two year extension until June 2016? Doesn't seem like either party is confident in the other to commit to a longer term. Hopefully he can recover his form of their CL run to the finals otherwise his career will start spiraling down quick.

Regarding Bale / Hazard, I agree with Fern that Bale took over games on his own and dominated in them and he has had some good performances at Madrid. Hazard has shown glimpses but he has not done it consistent enough yet, but he is so young and his prime is still 3+ years away.

I don't see Hazard going to Barca considering Messi / Neymar will be the main core for the next 5 years or so and Madrid have Ronaldo and Bale for another 3-4+ years together. I think the only club that Eden would leave us for would be if PSG were a dominate side and dominated Europe, which they are not. He seemed to love life in France, and he speaks highly of PSG and the fans their respect him, but I don't see PSG reaching that level so I see him staying as a Chelsea player for the next 5 years. If we are winning titles, and Jose is at the helm, I can't see why he would want to leave. Anywhere aside from Barca/Madrid that can afford him would be a downgrade, and in those two teams he would not be the main man.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed with Arman in that there may be more to the back injury allegations for Gungodan than we may all know

also plenty of talk that an agreement with Costa is basically all in place with him taking the place of Torres in terms of transfer fee (although I suspect we will not pay 50 mil for him) and in wages

plenty of smoke for the Torres transfer fire going on as well

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    latest LB rumour is for Dodo (yes he is Brazilian) from Roma

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was just talking to a mate today about points two and three this afternoon. I'm starting to resign myself to Costa being here. Honestly, outside of him, there aren't really a lot of options of note. He has 26 in 31 La Liga matches. That's quite the haul and doesn't even include the Copa del Rey or Europe. He isn't my first choice, but really what other options do we have?

Also, there is seemingly a lot of Torres smoke. I'm not sure what to make of it. As the WAGNH article today said, it isn't inconceivable for him to take a pay cut to return there. Is that likely? No, but it is possible. Even if we can somehow find someone to pay 2/3 of his wages, it'd be worth it for the two Chelsea parties. As I said to my mate, I don't wish him ill. I want him to play and be happy. He was never great for us, but he was a good servant to the club and without him, we likely would have to beaten Barcelona or Bayern. It was run to the touchline that won the corner that Didier scored on. For that I will forever be grateful.

6. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I see Costa coming in before the world cup. We will probably know Costa's future, Torres's future, as well as Courtous future all before the world cup. Costa would be a perfect fit, and he would not cost north of 50m.

I wonder if the fantastic play of Azpi has cooled down our interest in Shaw. He will probably go for 25-30m quid. I would love to have him being he is young, english, and has shown plenty of potential and is already a very good lb. But, with FFP 25-30m quid could be spent towards a top quality CM as well as a top striker.

Decisions, decisions, this summer will be intense.

7. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought Dodo were extinct. :eek:

I'd really, really like to keep Courtois and Lukaku. The former is on course to surpass Neuer as best in the world, the latter is on course to being Drogba 2.0 but with more pace.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I thought his last season at Spurs, Bale was on a different level. Even Hazard in his best moments this season isn't able to dominate single handedly like that. And he was doing it for a far less talented side.

cokeyounut, fernb8 and okocha1 repped this.
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bale was unbelievable last season. I give Spuds shite and gave him shite, but he was outstanding. He's had a decent season bordering good in Madrid. Without Bale, Spurs aren't where they are.

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I do not like him so much, but you can't argue how much impact he can have on a match

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree. Atm I'd say Bale is a better finisher and more dangerous on set pieces. Hazard on his day is unplayable, but IMO he doesn't yet have that healthy selfishness that big players need. Too often this season he's passed up a good goal-scoring opportunity, with an extra dribble or extra pass.

fernb8 and Walter3000 repped this.
  12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hazard by no means is easy to mark, but I think the difference in pace between him and Bale helps in comparison of the two in Bale's favor, especially because Bale knows how to utilize that speed so well. We've talked a lot about Hazard reaching the heights of Ronaldo or Messi, but those two and Bale and most of the elite attackers who do their damage seem to have an extra gear, idk, maybe that sounds stupid

13. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    How many last minute goals did Bale score for them last time out? I recall him saving Spurs a number of times last season. Both are equally talented but comparing Bale/Hazard is comparing apples/oranges.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Eden has one fault, that's probably it.

How many times have we seen him pass it to someone, (usually Torres :(), this season and a good opportunity disappears :(

15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To piggyback on @fernb8 's post. Guardian also has a Shaw article, basically saying Shaw will decide before the WC and Soton will likely sell at the £30m mark. That's a lot of dosh for a left back.

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think we will let United take him if it is 30 mil. No way we pay that much. I think that is why other lb names are being bandied around.

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed. There's also a lot of paper talk today of PVA getting a new deal and coming back to tGR first team. I think it was in the Mirror.

18. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    What is Chelsea's plan on the left back position. Are we buying a starter or one who would be competing for the LB spot? Azpilicueta is doing pretty well at left back as it is and we've got a couple LB's on our books who could fill in the backup role.

Don't see the need to buy a LB unless we're moving Azpi to RB and Ivan to CB.

cokeyounut repped this.
  19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From accounts today, PVA is the plan. New contract and all.

20. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Nothing has been confirmed though right?

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, but it makes a lot of sense. I know it's been speculated some, but this us the first I've seen it reported in the rags. With Dave playing at this level it would only be a second choice spot anyways. Next season however, you have to figure someone will get some minutes there. At this point I think everyone else is a liability there.

22. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So we will see more of Ivan's wonderful crosses :(

23. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately.

I also have a hard time seeing Kalas deputizing there next season. His stay this season has been bad if you consider match time.

24. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Isn't Kalas more of a CB though? Always going to be hard to break into a team with Terry,Cahill and Luiz in front of him.
    Wallace would probably get considerable more playing minutes if he gets that working permit.

Ivanovic only has Cech and Terry who've played more minutes this season and surely can't keep that up season after season.