Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thats kind of a weird rumor....
    Even if is true, I think Porto is probably going to say Quintero is not for sale...
    Wait! this is Porto; who I'm kidding lol, everything is at sale at Porto!! they are probably going to say if you are interested in Quintero pay the 30 M and that will end all Liverpool's interest.

There is not better place for Quintero to develop than Porto; Unless is Chelsea under Mou Obviously. But sadly there is not interest from them, at least for now

2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But is it worth it; he's NOW getting playing time and do Liverpool plan on using him? Do they even need him?

3. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    no..i think its total BS. they got coutinho and other great players why would they sign him especially if he comes with a 30-40 mill price tag

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His price tag is 10-15 tops plus he is half owned by Pescara.

Gerard is getting older and older. He will most likely have the same role as in Porto in a much stronger team.

5. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Replacing the club's Icon (Gerard) with an unprovent talent who is not even a starter (Quintero)
    You must be smoking the good stuff bro

6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On top of that, Gerard has more of a balanced/defensive role than what Quintero does.

7. Bombay

Bombay Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Replacing Gerrard with Quintero is like replacing Teo with a schoolboy.

8. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is staying in porto lol at least for two seasons imo…he needs a lot of work. that is all!

9. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    Porto are falling off. I hope he leaves n doesn't go down with them ship. Inter would be great. Heck even Liverpool maybe in England they'll teach him to play defense n teach him to use his right foot

10. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Porto are still within Champions League football for next season; and how is him playing defense gonna help a guy his size? He's the same as Messi! They're not made for defending with their short statures and lack of strength!

11. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ivan Cordoba was short

jay luis repped this.
  12. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    Size matters for defense in midfield?! That's not a sound claim. Size is irrelevant. He doesn't play defense he doesn't track back. He doesn't press the ball carrier. And he doesn't even try to plug up a passing lane. You don't need size for any of that. Fabian Vargas Diego Chara Mauricio Serna Gennarro Gattuso etc etc. Size isn't important for defense. Hustle and work ethic is important for defense

pepinointer and jay luis repped this.
  13. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I can even name bad players that are his size but play more defense. Size is irrelevant. Sure it helps but that's an excuse. I'd rather have a guy that plays more defense and bench Quintero even with his great left foot than play with one man less on defense

14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He had the weight and strength to be a good defender which Quintero doesn't have (no, fat doesn't count).

I am actually leaning on the weight issue; he not strong nor does he have the solidness that you need when defending. And like I just said, fat doesn't count when muscles WEIGHT more and he doesn't have that type of body that was made for balance.

15. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Porto tiene una de las mejores inferiores de el mundo y ademas es el sitio donde el talento Colombiano se ha desarollado de mejor manera (en los ultimos anos) han logrado que el potencial se vuelva realidad. Quintero esta muy bien ahi, no hay que mandarlo para ningun lado

jay luis repped this.
  16. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that can be
    adjusted if he works out and build muscle, he's not handicapped.

MiLo4891 repped this.
  17. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't understand what you mean by solidness. You mean he is out of shape? I can agree with you on him not looking muscular. You don't need strength or muscle for defense. The is no such thing as a body for balance. Players have certain talents. That could be innate. But those talents need to be honed and their faults are strengthen thru coaching. Fat can be gotten rid of through dieting and exercise and muscle built through training. Defensive skills and tactics can be taught. He can learn to play defense even if it's just to plug a passing lane. But he's lazy on defense. Your argument on size relating to defense seems to make size a requirement and if that's the case that's a weak claim

18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look the point I am trying to make is that he was made to ATTACK; he's got the Messi abilities who may I remind you, RARELY is involved with the defending because his abilities are best used for attacking. Same with Ronaldo who, despite his size, doesn't take much part in defending as well.

Just because Quintero plays in the middle doesn't mean that you have to make him one who needs to play a role of a DM, nor should he particularly be one who should have a high work-rate with chasing a ball that is already making contact with the DM/DF, because his position is consistently going to be in a CAM position; how often do you need a CAM to play that much of a defensive role when he'll naturally go after the ball when it's within reach just like any other player?

On another note, strength/weight does matter; ever noticed how players like him can be easily stepped on? Quintero doesn't have a solid stature because he's too developed into being an agile player like Messi.

I honestly don't see the point of worrying that much of him developing into one who 'needs' to defend when we would then question: then what's the point of having other midfielders/defenders behind him? The only thing I can agree on is that he's lazy.

19. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i don't think he's like messi, I'm telling you he's a lot like pirlo, and imo he should work on defending even if players like messi or cr 7 don't defend.

MiLo4891 repped this.
  20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You don't think he's like Messi.....a short player who has the ball attached to his foot consistently with amazing passing style to that of Barcelona football, a magical left foot, able to do very decent free kicks, can out paced most players and get fouled easily, has been able to do pretty impressive goals from impressive distances.....hell, he's consistently referenced for his Messi-like style than any other player.

Yeah, I don't see the connection. :rolleyes:

And why particular Pirlo? I REALLY only hear that comparison here on Bigsoccer. Don't get me wrong; I think that it's a praise as well.

21. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ..messi…maradona..hes gets gassed pretty quick . something that barely happens to messi. quintero like pirlo can make great diagonal passes and long passes. Have u not seen pirlo play? but hey in my opinion Quintero is Quintero.

22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've see him play, and Messi does those types of passes as well; Quintero isn't a 'false 9' but he's leaning in that direction with how he plays. There's just rarely a time when Messi needs to do passes like that (obvious reasons).

Pirlo is one with a commanding figure that leads his team from the middle and knows how to play anywhere in the middle unlike Quintero. Hence I asked why you were thinking of Pirlo.

23. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well in most of the sub 20 games he played in a Pirlo position( watch them again) some games he played as AM and i get why you can compare him to messi there. In Porto i believe he played 1 or 2 games as a deep creative midfielder . if anything he has more of a DECO s style of play.

MiLo4891 repped this.
  24. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    He is not Messi. He isn't even the most talented player in his team. He isn't even El Pibe or James. He is another Aldo Leao or Edwin Cardona. He can be like Cardona or Gio Hernandez and have a little moment in the sun and fade away. Or he can be like Aldo Leao and go from being a guy that thinks he should only play when his team has the ball and learn how to press the ball and plug paying lanes and track back. His example should be Aldo Leao because he can reach that level. Aldo has scored the last two club games by putting pressure on the rival and stepping up towards the ball. Not by dribbling through all of the opponents. Hence Aldo work ethic and hustle have him playing for the NT. James was a #10 til Falcioni made him play wide and defend. He kept that up at Porto. At best Quintero can replace Aldo leao or Aguilar or even Gaurin in the central midfield for Colombia but he doesn't have to be a better defender than Sanchez to due it. He just needs to play better defense than he does now.or better defense than Aldo Leao or not get yellow carded as much as Aguilar. And he stops trying to dribble through even like he does now and plays smart and securely with the ball he will easily start anywhere. Those things combined with he good left foot shot and vision will make him great at club level and pretty good at NT level otherwise he'll just be another Giovanni Moreno or Juan Pablo Pino or Valentiera. And are those players in Europe or on the National team now?

jay luis and krass repped this.
  25. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    Everyone has to play some defense. He main job should be finding his teammates and passing it to the open teammate or the teammates in scoring position. But he's got to stop being lazy and defend more. I don't think. He'll be a Messi or El Pibe but he could defend as good as Aldo Leao and if he does I think he would be a bigger success