Juan Agudelo training at Celtic FC in the offseason

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ironkick14, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    One has to ask Ron Waxman ... who, I am sure, has made his share of phone calls.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    O/T but why exactly are there only 13 teams in the SPL and why has it led to only 2 massively overstacked teams.Norway has a similar population yet has 16 teams. Perhaps lack of overall talent but Scotland can still take from lower divisions in England. Im sure loads of League 1 English players and non-English would enjoy the Scottish league. Its just curious to me considering how far the league has dropped in years. 5years both Rangers and Celtic qualified for the CL group stage I believe.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    O/T but why exactly are there only 13 teams in the SPL and why has it led to only 2 massively overstacked teams.Norway has a similar population yet has 16 teams. Perhaps lack of overall talent but Scotland can still take from lower divisions in England. Im sure loads of League 1 English players and non-English would enjoy the Scottish league. Its just curious to me considering how far the league has dropped in years. 5years both Rangers and Celtic qualified for the CL group stage I believe.

4. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right.

As of now, no other team has come forward expressing interest. Celtic has. Going solely off of this, I'll reiterate that it'd be foolish not to head there if something substantive shook out. If and when another team shows up, reconsider. I'm not implying he should drop everything and shine Lennon's shoes, but he's impressing there. Make the jump. Sink or swim. Go big or go home. Etc.

I don't buy that his development would somehow be stunted by plying his trade in the SPL. He'll be pushed much more with Celtic than at Chivas. Crap the league all you want.

Celtic =/= lateral or downward move.

Fanatical Monk and m vann repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    600 K sounds pretty damn good

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's a Eredivisie minimum for the non-EU players.

It serves as an employment barrier against the lower wage-lower quality players but the U-21 players get a 50% discount for two years.

ielag referred to him turning 21 soon, which means he will have only one "discount" year in the Netherlands.

Concur.

The implication of this trial, of course, is that Celtic is the best he can do right now.

If other teams come forward with offers, then by all means ...

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money

Rangers and Celtic have it. The other clubs don't.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hearts had some for a while, when they were heavily financed by Vlad Romanov but he is going el cheapo at the moment and said publicly he is more than willing to sell (but not to the ex-Livingston owner).

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He talked a lot but didn't really walk much.

10. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    At age of 20, making himself a better player is much wiser investment than looking for a quick cash.
    Besides I really doubt that Celtic will offer him much more than $600K that he would get in Holland anyway.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless there is no offer from holland.

12. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    He is probably either good enough to get that offer or not good enough to start for Celtic. In both cases going to Celtic doesn't make sense.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's our job, so let's get to it!

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is there any interest whatsoever from any club other than Celtic? Because if Agudelo's choice is really Celtic or Chivas USA, it doesn't seem like an especially hard choice to me.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Amen to that

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Also, if Celtic is willing to pay him $600K or so, would MLS even want to match that? Or come close to matching that?

He'd probably accept a local discount but will want a low buyout too.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way MLS matches that.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't forget playing time. No matter the money, he rather play in mls than sit for Celtic.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Celtics had a look at him and like what they see, I wonder what plans they would have for Agudelo if they buy him...as forward or wing? If their plan is to make him a false 9, I would tell Agudelo to jump on that.

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    He's a curious case. Not sure where his future position lies. I love his right foot, but he's ALL right foot.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bunbury must be kicking himself. Seeing Agudelo leave before him

Deeneaus repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No need to read to much into this. Just how they both got their first cap together and were on the fast track for the NT and Agudelo has clicked wheeeas Bunbury has not

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Teal was coming into form before his injury and in my opinion would have made a difference for sporting in the playoffs.

He surely would have been training with someone in the off-season as well.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they both stumbled a year's worth of development. Agudelo is back on track while Bunbury is trying to get back to form in MLS.