Juan Agudelo training at Celtic FC in the offseason

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ironkick14, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

What did Mo tell him?

The comp is so bad, and Celtic so far above the rest, that it fooled many into thinking he could actually pass and had some creativity and skill?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have:

Samaras
    Hooper
    Miku
    Watt

It's very competitive. Samaras, has always rubbed the wrong way, but has been very good this season even standing in as captain with Scott Brown out. I don't think I really understood his game and what he brings to the table until recently. Then you have Gary Hooper who I believe should be considered for England. His name has been spat about and I'm hoping since Forster is getting calls maybe Hopper can. Miku has been a welcomed addition and played fantastically in Europe after coming over from Getafe. Then you have Tony Watt, who scored that famous goal against Barca. Tremendous young talent that once he cracks the lineup full time probably won't be in Scotland long. There is a ton of flexibility with the striking core.

3. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    isnt SPL horrible outside of Celtic? Galaxy might even be better than Celtic, he should go to Netherlands if he can

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the galaxy are better than Celtic but they are certainly better than anybody else in Scotland.

Berks repped this.
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Celtic would wipe the floor with the Galaxy but they are more talented and certainly have a deeper roster. The SPL ain't great but it also isn't as horrible as some make it out to be. The SPL and Scottish FA are really trying to restructure and expand the league. It's going to probably get worse before it gets better and I really, really hope it's for the better in the long run. Then scots really do love their football and deserve a better league.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    While it's not worth the argument, I will say it's more than close enough to wonder about the result in a home and away leg.

Berks repped this.
  7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about this move. Yes, Celtic is a solid club, but frankly, the league doesn't have a good level of competition. No insult meant to the SPL, but it's long been written it's two teams (now one) and everybody else. Not sure how that does wonders for Juan, and not sure how he develops by playing competition that on average may be worse than MLS. Yes, Chivas blows. But not sure how much more developing he does at Celtic if I'm brutally honest - not due to the club, but due to the league.

With that said, his decision. Just starting to think he wants out whichever way possible, which may lead to some bad decisions.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a bad move if you ask me.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meow!

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Probably wouldn't be terrible, but can't we do better?

Zoidberg repped this.
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    :)

12. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing this does for Juan is increase his visibility, the league is shit and he will only marginally improve, after which he'll stagnate in the doldrums of mediocrity and not even be good enough technically deficient teams like big brother Mo if he stays too long... it's a risk and one I wouldn't take. Playing on a team as dominant as Celtic against teams on the level of Chivas USA can give a player bad habits after a while

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of think it would be terrible. If Agudelo is going to transfer it would be much better to find a well situated club in Holland, Denmark or Belgium.

LodiSoccerFan repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, there's terrible for our purposes and terrible for his, which do not concord precisely with ours. Agudelo presumably wants to get paid, and how much he gets paid is of great interest to him. I would prefer your three leagues to Scotland's, but what if the Celtic offer is wildly higher than (any) other offers out there?

Still, Celtic only makes sense as a stepping stone, and it could be terrible, of that there is no doubt.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Money is always an issue some don't take into account.

Would an Eredivisie club be willing to pay Juan $600K a year once he turns 21 exactly a year from now? Happy birthday Juan!

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

17. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if our players have gotten this good or if BS thinking has become even more wonky. Seriously? Celtic is a bad move? Unreal.

If Agudelo is any sorts of talented he takes the move and proves his worth. If he's better than Celtic, he'll be gone in no time, especially in this "crap" league some of you are referring to over and over.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If Celtic can somehow advance in the CL, this move becomes much more palatable.

That said, I'm all for the kids getting paid and I certainly understand why, after playing for Hans Backe and then being exiled to Chivas USA, why Agudelo would want out of MLS.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is saying he is too good for Celtic; people are wondering whether Agudelo will be able to develop as a player at Celtic in SPL as opposed to another league.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst part is that he might not even start for Celtic.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Probably a handful would, if they value him enough as a prospect - Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, Vitesse, Herenveen, AZ, Twente would be among those.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think if Celtic is this interested, then he could find a good situation in Holland or France which would be better development wise.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of Juan at Celtic, but it is better than being at Chivas. Another bonus would be it's easier to move to another league in Europe from Celtic than if he has to re-up with MLS. If he inks an extension, MLS will fight to hold him, whereas Celtic is a much more logical stepping stone. They'll move him if he either struggles and disappoints, or if he impresses and gets offers. They won't hold on to him and act like the league will suffer from letting him go which is the crap he'd have to put up with with Garber.

It would be an obvious risk. But I think a high pressured environment would be good for him, as well as having the ability to move around Europe more freely than if he stays here would be an attraction. My preference is for him to trial in Holland in Dec. But if the option is Celtic or inking a 3-4 yr extension with MLS, I go with Celtic. If he could sign a 1-2 yr deal with MLS and move on when a good opportunity came I'd feel differently, but that's not how MLS operates.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it would be better for his development to play at Chivas than Celtic, where playing time would be questionable anyway.

Werdman89 repped this.
  24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I vote for Porto - two Colombians on the roster already and they play awesome ball.

25. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they interested in Agudelo?