Juan Agudelo training at Celtic FC in the offseason

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ironkick14, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CL success is on the forefront of their minds but the league is still of big importance. The squad has been rotated quite a bit in the league which hasn't yielded the results one would like. They are 2 pts off the lead. I think Lennon will continue to rotate the squad until they know whether or not they will progress to the knockout stage of the CL.

2. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Juan Agudelo, man. It's not like Real Madrid will be knocking down his door begging him to train with them.

Celtic might not be the greatest club in the universe, but it's a pretty big club and certainly not a bad spot for a young player like Agudelo to gain some experience.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to think that bigger clubs than Celtic are interested in Agudelo....but you don't want to necessarily train at stints at these clubs. Like I think Shea would have been better off training at a club in Holland or even Scotland.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using Real Madrid as your reference point makes me question whether it's even worth responding to this comment.

5. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of these training stints resulted in a signing?

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not off the top of my head. Most of these training stints have been in the UK and the player has had little chance of secruing a WP.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends. Training or trialing?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Do they have a high quality barber who can fix Juan's bad cover.

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude- that cover was instrumental in securing Juan's senior team international assist earlier this week.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How many years is Juan's contract with Chivas? whats the chances that a Dutch club would go for him? Or should he just accept interest from Scandinavia?

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more year. MLS either will sell him this winter or next summer. And he wants to leave and I doubt is considering signing an extension with MLS at all. His best friend is Shea, and I'd be surprised if Shea didn't tell him not to make the same mistake he did, signing a multi-yr extension with the league.

Seems more and more youngsters are realizing signing 3-4 yr extensions with MLS limits flexibility and are rejecting them. Holden did. Ream did. Rogers did. Cameron did. John is. Omar is and recently mentioned how young players are just waiting till their contracts are up to see their options.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely. There are some wacko Scottish folks out there with even wackier hairdos. Trust me. In fact, Juan's do could get even stranger / worse! :D

13. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a glorious few weeks: no prominent Americans playing in Scotland the NHL on strike. I long for simpler times. :p

sakibomb523, chalaron and Real Corona repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The NHL is on strike?

chalaron, Winoman, CDM76 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owners want to implement dental plans and discrease the Mullet Cap per team. It's been met with HUGE resistance. Players feel like they are losing the identity of their league.

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    For me, it's not the size of the club that you train with, it's the league it belongs in. Scottish league frankly stinks. I think Juan would benefit more from a training stint in a bottom-half team in Spain or Italy. But I guess those teams don't have the dollars to buy Juan.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training wise it doesn't really matter. Just as long as he doesn't sign with them.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scandinavia, except for Denmark would be a sideways move. No need for it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm obviously bias but despite the league the club would be very worthy of developing him and probably would do a wonderful job doing so. You can discount the league but don't discount what he could recieve in terms of development from the club and Lennon. It just sucks because I know what a drag the SPL can be but it's such an historic club that wins Chaampionships, performs well in Europe, and has an insane amount of pressure internally and externally to excel. It's easy to see why good players are drawn to the club. I'd love to see Juan in the famous kit but I'm realistic enough to know the disadvanatges. For the interim, just training with Celtic, under Lennon, will be benefit Juan.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

They are drawn to it for money and not being able to make it at a bigger team in a better league, and being the big bully and hands down star. Mo Edu had the same pressures yet he still can't pass and make smart decisions when the game speeds up a bit. If he wasn't at Chivas USA I would say no way in hell. MLS would be better overall.

21. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Chivas intent to return to 2005 model with players exchange between MLS and Guadalajara. That's gonna suck for MLS club but might be good for Agudelo.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training stint has nothing to do with cash to buy. I don't know why people keep lumping the two together.

And I highly doubt a team mid table La Liga clubs couldn't scrap together the meager transfer fee it would take to get Juan. MLS would be retarded to price him out as one, his salary is pretty cheap and two, they've got two transfer windows to make anything off him at all.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    no way MLS wants to sell him. He is the only positive, interesting player on a horrendous team.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, he has 3 positive, interesting goals for them this season. They should sell Nick LaBrocca first. Nick might fetch millions!

Oh, and Juan is a GenAd boy. Those usually sign 5-year contracts. With the third having just elapsed, he's got two more years still left.

On the other hand, a 3-goal season doesn't scream, "Show me the money". IMO, if MLS can get a decent sell-on fees, it may want to consider reasonable offers mid-summer 2013.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan said recently in an interview his contract was up after the 13 season, and he wants Europe. So it's not year 3 of 5 according to Juan.