Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now we know who to blame for being the bad influence on some of our yanks abroad

Winoman and luftmensch repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should wait until Agudelo is called in for the May camp. If he is called in.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FWIW, SKY also reports that a second WP application is to be filed. The fairly successful loan in Holland, added to the successful season Stoke have had under Mark Hughes may give a little more weight to Hughes arguing that Agudelo is a top prospect. If this application fails, I'd expect the winter application to go through.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure they want to take that gamble. I don't think he's getting a call and that would just kill his chances for a WP. I think they see that as a distinct possibility and are applying before that happens.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    For a 30 man roster, you need more than 4 strikers (Jozy, Wondo, AJ, EJ) - I think there's a good chance his play in Holland got him into the camp roster.

USSoccerNova and ckl26 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agreed. Same with Boyd. But does that hurt more? To be called up and basically audition yourself 1 last time and still not get picked. Or rather not get called in altogether. Agudelo's chances to going to Brazil are quite low as it stands.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Eddie Johnson doesn't set a hugely high bar. Nor does Wondolowski for that matter. He's in form, he's scoring. He just needs to show he's better than one of them, and he'll be given the chance to do it in person.

TabLalas repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Reasonable enough especially for the likes of EJ. Wondo is a total surprise. He may or may not go.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have already taken Agudelo over EJ based on the fact that one is talented and the other is f'ing clueless, but the fact that EJ has been absolutely awful with DC this season while Agudelo has scored a few goals for Utrecht surely helps his case to move past EJ for a WC roster spot....

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extremely doubtful. Especially since Agudelo's performance at Utrect doesn't seem good enough to also pass Wondo and Boyd. But JK sees more games and has scouts, so maybe he will disagree and go with potential over past performance.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he makes it it's purely because he's the only really physical forward but Boyd has never scored for the national team, something Agudelo did at 18 (and again later vs Argentina). What I don't understand is why Klinsmann called Agudelo in so infrequently following the Russia game where he had an assist (note his header on the Bradley goal whereas Boyd doesn't connect on Mix's equalizer) despite his impressive goal scoring rate (9 goals in 1402 minutes) in MLS in 2013...

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agudelo should go to Brasil, but every coach has his blind spots.

Two games to go: 4/27 @ Heerenveen; 5/3 v Vitesse Arnhem

13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Agudelo over Boyd as well. I think he offers more dynamism and fits more tactical situations than Boyd does.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I half hoped they wouldn't apply again until winter. I'm dubious that JA will crack much PT at Stoke next season and would rather he get another year of seasoning. But maybe Hughes is more optimistic than I.

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't see how Juan having a decidedly unspectacular 6 month loan spell with Utrecht is going to help him get his work permit approved. Further, even if he does make the WC team, going and sitting behind a guy who's scored 2 goals in about a gazillion EPL games and another guy who performed way better than you in the league you've been playing in doesn't exactly scream exceptional young talent. Particularly when your competition is only a couple of years older than you.

Juan ain't getting a permit this summer. And if he doesn't have a year like Jozy and AJ had in the Eredivisie next year, he isn't qualifying next summer either. with AJ and Jozy so close to his age, I its entirely possible he'll never qualify automatically....which means loans over and over and over. He should ask Freddy how that works.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Last SFS spotting (released by Snowden last week.)

images.jpg

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd rather he stay in the Netherlands and play for a Dutch team...

18. But if you want him to be successful:) ....but I can see what's bothering you .....you have to cheer my club:laugh:
    Splendid reason to get him to the "Kuip", all those misguided (A)Ya(x)nks cheering my club while grinding their teeth:ROFLMAO:

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would have to pick a new country! I barely survived Gibbs transfering down there to Belgium.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late sub Juan Agudelo set up the FC Utrecht's consolation goal in a 4-1 loss at Heerenveen on Sunday afternoon.

The US forward entered with his team down one in the 64th minute. Mere seconds before the hosts doubled their lead in the 67th, Agudelo saw his bid for an equalizer cruelly pushed out of the bottom corner by Heerenveen netminder Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

Near stoppage time, however, Agudelo helped the visitors finally get on the board, nodding down for Jacob Mulenga to fire home in notching his second assist of the season. Now winless in nine on the road, Utrecht dropped a table place to 12th.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ssists-fc-utrecht-loss-jozy-altidore-sits-aga

Testudo, LouisianaViking07/09 and ckl26 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How bad a team is Utrecht?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Agudelo's been playing very well of late. I think he's making a good case for the World Cup roster. He's played well in his stint with Utrecht.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Utrecht is not merely bad ... they're YA bad!

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Utrecht is not that bad. They struggled to be effective but they were not playing with amateurs.