Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same sentiments, but specifically in terms of Chelsea, which youngsters were recently given a WP on appeal that are sitting in their reserves? The one I know about that won an appeal or was awarded a WP outright (I don't know which) is Willian, who justifies whatever decision the home office made. Christian Atsu? IDK if he had a WP before being loaned out, but clearly justifies the decision as well (doing well at Arnhem). Wallace, a young Brasilian talent was bought from Fluminense, but couldn't get a WP and was loaned out.

Again, I agree that the system is probably rigged in the favor of the powerful, but twas always thus. Can you provide specific evidence regarding Chelsea since the change was made?

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal has had WP issues recently. Miyachi and Campbell being the most recent examples.

3. You are comparing Bony, who set a scoring spree with a team not considered top notch at that moment, and who is Ivory Coast citizen with special work permit relations with the EU and who has played a considerable number of National team matches, with Agudelo who is none of that all. So your comparison is limping.
    But Agudelo is at least doing far better than Aron at the moment in the eyes of the raters as he was awarded a 7 by AD Sportwereld and Aron again a miserable 4.
    But he is far away from the impact Bony made with his play for two seasons in a row!

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The whole conversation is a little silly, isn't it?

Juan Agudelo didn't play for the US at the 2013 Gold Cup and if my memory serves me correctly................didn't play in a single one of our World Cup qualifiers.

On paper, his application for a work permit falls well short of caps/callups standard. And if people are counting on the "exceptional talent" clause.........................well that's just wishful thinking. That's subjective, and I don't know if you can count on a committee of Englishman believing he counts as that.

Let's not forget that a player like Brad Friedel failed in 3 separate applications for a work permit (Nottingham Forest, Newcastle, Sunderland). There are multiple other high profile examples. [Bobby Convey and Spurs, etc. etc.] We've subsequently gone thru an era where it seemed like everybody was being granted one as long as their case was even somewhat borderline. That has now changed, however.

What's bizarre is Stoke had to have known all of this when they signed him.

ttrevett and Hararea repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And you're moving the goalposts.

You said: "If he was one he wouldnot be signed by a mediocre EPL club, but by one of the top 5 clubs. His only ticket into the EPL is by being a Nat team player with sufficient matches to satisfy the rules.

FC Utrecht isnot a team that is going to impress the board to let him pass as an exceptional talent. Only if he was loaned to a top team in the Netherlands and was a lock in player and was getting high rates he would have a chance."

Bony was signed by a mediocre Premier League club, he did not have the requisite number of international appearances to qualify automatically for a work permit, and Vitesse hasn't been significantly better as a club recently than Utrecht.

I'm not arguing that Agudelo is an exceptional talent, or that he deserves an exemption. I'm pointing out that your argument is inconsistent and invalid.

6. Vitesse is a subsidiary team of Chelsea. They are now under scrutiny of the Dutch FA for accusations that Vitesse wasnot allowed by Abramovitch to win the Dutch title last year and this year, as that would pose a problem for Chelsea as the UEFA doesnot allow to have two teams in the CL that you have control of.
    Vitesse are a far better team with far better players than FC Utrecht. In fact it is used by Abramovitch to nurse his players to get ready for the EPL/Chelsea or to get sold if they donot match his expectations. The best players of Vitesse are in fact under contract with Chelsea and on loan with Vitesse.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Good summary, but my impression is that Stoke's position here was understandable. They applied for Agudelo because of all of the questionable players who were being approved. Even though they probably knew that the wind was going to change soon, a cheap, high-upside gamble like Agudelo was worth trying to get in under the wire.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Does his Ivory Coast citizenship also give him an advantage to work in the UK?

superdave repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why are the no advantages for US citizens for the EU or UK?

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    How recent was this? Surely he has a better case than Agudelo.

11. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Again it wasn't a gamble from what I understand... Hughes rated Agudelo pretty highly and wanted to bring him over. It's not like Agudelo is some fringe guy who if he has a decent year may get a look in camp. I think JA will be one of our top forwards if not THE guy in 2018.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summer 2012.

Stogey23 repped this.
  13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I could be wrong, but think a player from Ivory Coast just can't be counted count as non-EU in countries such as Spain and France as part of Cotonou Agreement. Don't think it guarantees him a UK Work Permit automatically.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, this sh*ts complicated. :p

15. Typhaon

Typhaon Member

Nov 2, 2009
    They are still mad about the war.

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Makes sense then, thanks.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Why would there be?

FlipsLikeAPancake and The Potter repped this.
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Didn't Campbell get his work permit last year?

Also I thought Miyachi was bought in the January transfer window but they didn't apply for a work permit for a while?

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Cause we whipped your butts on the Plains of Abraham!!

Oh wait...

Cause we're cute?

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So here's a thought - Players joining Scottish teams work permits are endorsed by the Scottish FA. I wonder if the two Welsh teams go through the Welsh FA rather than the FA - Even though they play in the English leagues.

That might make it easier to get a work permit for Cardiff and Swansea.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The USA Government should have had the foresight to include a clause in the lend-lease agreements.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We'll give you back Russel Brand and a Direction to be named later.

23. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Directions! Give 'em all back!

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    How about North by Northwest?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think you should give up the Virgin Islands too. That just seems wrong.