Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a strawman. It's also far from the truth.

You continually don't give people enough credit for weighing situations independently and continue with the blanket, "Euro is always better" strawman argument. Who exactly thought going to Norway made Chad Barret a better player due to the magic Euro dust? Who thought going to the Championship made Robbie Rogers more than he was? Who thought going to the 2Bund made Buddle better than he was?

People weigh situations and talent independently for the most part. The strawman arguments are not needed.

SOCCERMARINE and ckl26 repped this.
  2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    In your attempt at sarcasm, your missing the bigger point. Do you honselty think eddie johnson or wondolowski can score a goal with world class out of nothing ability like agudelo can do?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No. If that were the case, people would have been noticing his talent since before he moved to Stoke/Utrecht.

As is, but for a couple of poster, Agudelo was far from being considered for automatic inclusion with the 23. Check that thread and see how many people were putting him there before the Stoke rumors started.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've had him in the 23 for a few years. Even during his struggles, I believed in his skills. People are too quick to promote the flavor of the month. Agudelo's talent is not something that EJ, Wondo, Gomez, Magee or any of the other fringe strikers have.

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Watched some of his game today. Kid brought down a 60-yard ball with this chest perfectly, then the moment the ball hit the ground he backheel nutmegged the defender that was on him. I'm sorry but that was fantastic. He's on my 23, if I were in Klinsmann position,

stonejh127 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to see this. Johan Derksen to the rescue?

ckl26 repped this.
  7. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1307 usry723, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd take him over Wondo or EJ, but only if he proves himself with Utrecht.

Since he still has not done that, even though I think he will, at this point I wouldn't pencil him in yet.

luftmensch repped this.
  9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    "Juan Agudelo, F, Utrecht (Netherlands)
    Why he's here: A week after his European debut, Agudelo made his first start for Utrecht and went the distance, recording an assist to help his team snap a four game skid in a 1-1, come-from-behind tie against Dutch champions Ajax.
    What this means: We were remiss not to include the 21-year old alongside Wondolowski and the other forwards competing for the U.S. team's final forward spot for Brazil, but Agudelo's chances are as good as anyone's if he can build on his promising start in the Eredivisie."

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationalteam/id/1433?cc=5901

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Agudelo can score a goal with world class out of nothing ability.

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not with the same skill or flair, but I think each can do things Agudelo is less likely to do (for example, EJ score a header off a set piece or Wondo poach a goal out of nowhere just by being in the right place at the right time).

I agree that Agudelo is a (much) better player overall than either mentioned, but I don't think that necessarily means he should go to this World Cup over them. But if he turns it on bigtime the next few months I hope he does.

12. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I think it comes down to potential. Is EJ and Wondo that much of a boost to our pool of strikers that bringing them now to the WC, that we should be taking away valuable experience from a guy that has a bigger chance of contributing in the future? I'm not sure about Wondo, if he's hot, he's hot. But EJ... we've been there and done that... we know what we have and anything outside MLS or Concacaf, he's not scoring.

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    For a 4th or 5th striker option who we need to throw on in the last 10 minutes of a game we desperately need a goal in... Id take wondo for sure. The guy is a proven finisher and IMO if were dumping balls in the box franticaly trying to score, I want a guy like wondo in there.

Say were down 1-0 to germany in the 80th minute and we need the 1-1 to go through and were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at ze germans... Wouldnt you want wondo in the german penalty area at that point?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many actual strikers are we even gonna take to Brazil?

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably depends on who you count as a striker. I'd expect 3 besides Dempsey and Donovan.

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking about actual center forwards - guys who don't/can't play a midfield role. Am I crazy to think that Jurgen might only take 1 center forward?

17. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Not sure we're going to be able to send cross after cross into the box vs. anyone at the WC. I agree, if you're able to do that then you'd want Wondo, but Germany/Port/Ghana aren't going to bunker vs us even if they're up. They'll just look to Spain us and maintain possession. Wondo has proven that he's not able to get it done vs. anyone outside CONCACAF or Korea's C team.

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are, that would be silly.

19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Chelsea.

In my opinion this whole "such-and-such player has proven this" doesn't really hold up to scrutiny, you're talking about way too small a sample size of games to say they've "proven" anything. I'm not personally convinced on bringing Wondo myself, but I can't think of anybody else I'd rather have come in off the bench to poach a goal against a tired opponent. Except maybe Mike Magee....

My guess is Wondo will be the Ching/Twellman of this go-round, the kickass MLS'er who didn't quite make the cut.

20. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Chelsea was in pre-season form...and that example is a bit odd since that in itself is a small sample size. Wondo had 208 mins in 2011/12 to capitalize on and he failed in all those to score from the likes of Spain and Chile to Guadeloupe and Canada.

Sending in cross after cross vs. the likes of Germany/Ghana/Port would mean we would be heavily favored in the possession %...I don't see that happening. I don't think we're going to bunker completely but we're not going to be able to hold on to the ball like we did vs. Cuba and Belize.

21. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny cause I recall him doing exactly that on more than one occasion over the course of the last two years in MLS.

Of course it's hard to get any more subjective than "world class out of nothing ability" but Juan has scored a few goals out of thin air using nothing else but remarkable innate skill and instinct in his short career.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    3 strikers. Plus Dempsey/Donovan.

But not sure about EJ.

23. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I guess it depends how you define "out of nothing". I'd say his goal vs. Chicago this past summer and his goal against DC in 2011 are examples of his innate skill and instincts.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll have to wait until MLS gets going and see which EJ shows up.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is 3 plus D & D then EJ is on the plane, at this point in time. D&D, JA , and EJ are the top 4 goal scorers in the JK era. EJ is also the best aerial threat by a large margin and can play either wing so could be brought on as a 3rd forward with say 15 min to go down by 1.