Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he got decent time is his first game, so even if he doesn't start, he will probably play a lot in the 2nd half at very least.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand that, but I don't wake up at 6:30 to watch a Dutch Eredivisie game of two teams that I couldn't care less about watching. If Agudelo plays, I will watch it. I just wanted to figure out if there were any probable lineups named on any Dutch football sites or if the manager has said anything regarding his line up.

3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But then you can't accurately commentate on how well Agudelo is doing. It would be very inaccurate to talk about a team without knowing how they play without and with Agudelo.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Most likely he won't start but as a previous poster said, he probably will get plenty of 2nd half time.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1280 usry723, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    "@fcutrecht: Jordy van der #Winden, Juan Sébastian #Agudelo en Matthieu #Delpierre in basisploeg FC Utrecht tegen #Ajax. #utraja #vollebak"

I think Juan might be starting.

Edit: He is.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    First start against Ajax is a Welcome to Europe moment.

Tom Collingsworth and Hobo repped this.
  7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1282 Chance, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Juan got the start today vs Ajax. Utrecht lost 1-3 drew 1-1, but he provided a great assist with a flicked on header. He's pretty fantastic at those.

8. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    1-1 draw unless I entered a time warp this morning. They stopped a 6 game (I think) Ajax win steak, and halted their own losing streak.

Chance repped this.
  9. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah thanks. I looked at the Eredivisie scores and for some reason thought the Twente-Cambuur score was the Ajax-Utrecht one. In that case... that's a pretty good result!

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  10. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Grant Wahl piece

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo said he had an offer to stay in MLS with New England, but “it wasn’t flattering,” as he puts it.

As for Stoke’s offer? “I was extremely flattered by that,” Agudelo says.

Interesting. You'd think MLS would do more to keep a guy like Agudelo. Stoke offered 600K per year. Sounds like the MLS offer wasn't that much money.

13. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Good first start.. building block type of game for Juan... didn't look out of place against the league's best squad minus a few suspect first touches (probably nerves).

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Which is very telling considering he's young and had caps with the NT and say if he were to stay in MLS, maybe he might become a 10-15 goal a season striker. I'm all for young players going to Europe but had they offered a deal worthy enough to stay, it would have meant something for the league.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's going to be a close shave, but he may yet get into Klinsmann's mental map.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for him to be invited to next month's friendly he would need to bag at least 2 goals.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I'm sorry, but agudelo is better then eddie johnson and wondoloski. I mean look at these skills with the ball, the bursts, knock downs. If agudelo is not already in klinsmann mind for ukraine then we are in bigger trouble then we thought.

Haole, ussoccer97531 and ckl26 repped this.
  18. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I agree, I'd have him on the USMNT in front of Wondo, EJ and Shea. Agudelo looks fluid enough to play on the left in the way Clint played it.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, skills on the ball are the only thing that determines how good, or useful a player is.

luftmensch, OWN(yewu)ED and Gamecock14 repped this.
  20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Those of you out there who would prefer our best prospects to leave for and remain in Europe should be especially grateful for owners like Bob Kraft.

SJB, Tom Collingsworth, comoesa and 2 others repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. I think he needs to play and contribute, have a positive effect as he did today.

I don't see why there'd be some arbitrary standard like needing to bag 2 goals. There's more to Agudelo and more to the game than that. AJ is playing damn well. Jozy played well yesterday. Only other striker we have who played well this weekend in a top 6 league is Agudelo. If we had strikers all over top leagues bagging goals, then I could it his goal numbers mattering more. But getting an assist vs Ajax frankly is better than what our strikers outside AJ/Jozy have the capability to do right now. Wondo scored 2 yesterday against the Korean B team but will go back to pre season training and won't play a competitive match until next month. Gomez isn't doing anything. EJ is hurt and won't play games until March. I fail to see how we're good enough to leave an Ered starting attacker at home while the MLS contingent won't even be playing over the next month.

BTW, for those who think just scoring goals is all that matters, that flick-on header by Juan is very similar to his flick-on header to Mix at Russia. That's valuable and speaks to Juan's versatility, and versatility our striker pool doesn't have much of. None of EJ/Wondo/Gomez have shown they can get assists like that.

Haole, luftmensch and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just surprised that evidence points to NE offering Shalrie Joseph more money a few years ago than they offered Juan. Especially in a calendar year where MLS is overpaying for American talent and appears to want to keep/bring as much American talent here as possible.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, just scoring 2 goals is not going to get him a look, he also needs to play well. JK already has a forward that looks good that doesn't score much.

24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Great post. I'm rooting for him as our #3.

Doesn't hurt that all three of Jozy, AJ and Agudelo are good for 2018 as well.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Patience, please. As soon as a Yank moves to some Euro club, people here start inflating him to a stature he does not have. Last time around it was Shea. Let's see how Juan settles with Utrecht first. Yes, he has some good point in his game. Most players who have gone there have some good points, be that speed, strength, agility, etc.

But we have to wait a bit yet. We'll know soon enough.

OWN(yewu)ED and bwidell repped this.