Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Traore has been called into his national team in the last year. He might not have played, but he clearly was in the plans. Agudelo hasn't been called in since January. I don't think he played in a Hex game or any of the Gold Cup games. That might have made a difference. Maybe the PFA wants players who are part of the current national team set up.

Fanatical Monk and Martin Fischer repped this.
  2. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    I'd say their careers aren't too similar.
    Traoré transfer history: Monaco, Anzhi, Kuban, Cluj and +$50mn in transfer fees
    Agudelo transfer history: MLS and $0.0 in transfer fees

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Perhaps ignorant but 1 has to wonder why is it always so difficult for US players to get work permits in the UK. Gooch got a Belgian passport after 3 years of playing over there. Surely the US and EU have some kinda benefits or relationship that might ease this transition for us. Or maybe I'm just hoping for preferential treatment for our boys when they don't see any reason for it.

4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch's case means nothing. It's just easy to become naturalized in Belgium, though I think they have since become a little more rigorous.

5. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    So, are Utrecht decent? I dont know many of their players. I remember de Ridder from Southampton, hes very fast but not very good, and I see they have that fat keeper that used to be at Ajax

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3 points behind AZ in the table, but have the joint-fourth worst goal difference in the league.

Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    A quick glance through their history gives me the impression that they are the most midtable team in the Eredivisie. They seem to finish 9th or 10th a lot.

Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this works out great for Agudelo. We have seen Altidore develop his game in Holland. Hopefully the same applies to Agudelo.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that good or bad?

EruditeHobo, Fanatical Monk and Winoman repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 different issues. To become a naturalized citizen, you generally have to live & play in that country for an extended period of time (or perhaps marry a local). Belgium offers the quickest path with 2 years to become naturalized. Spain seems to offer a similar path to those with South American roots & there are some other exceptions out there, but, other than that, it's 5 years or more to become naturalized -- usually difficult because players bounce from league to league.

UK work permits are just difficult right now if you don't have the number of caps on the national team. For the most part, it hasn't been too difficult to get one (Shea got one from the appeals process), but they are cracking down a touch (and the US is a deeper squad these days, meaning players like Juan are left out even though there is EPL interest).

There aren't many EU/US workarounds on labor migration. Even NAFTA doesn't help Canadian & Mexican citizens move around on the sports front. And I doubt Congress would even look at any changes in the near future.

Frankball repped this.
  11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
  14. blackdeathFC

blackdeathFC Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not in squad for the Cup game today vs NEC.

15. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy playing striker for Utrecht today is the shortest target man I've ever seen. Or maybe it's just my crappy stream.

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Our John O'Brien spent some time on loan and played at Utrecht before he broke into the first team at Ajax.

keller4president repped this.
  17. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Paperwork still has to be done. Looking like he'll be good to go vs. Ajax

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Malta is beautiful at this time of year. Highly-recommended vacation spot.

Friedel'sAccent and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  19. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I assumed it was pretty nice sitting there in the Med just sunning itself while the rest of us have cold snap after snow storm pass over.

If I did anything but work, I'd really hate winter. As it is it makes me feel better knowing nobody else around me is enjoying the outdoors either.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what position is target man?

21. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A target man is a center forward who usually plays with his back to goal as the target of long passes. Usually you want them to be strong and tall so they can win the ball in the air and hold the ball up. They usually wear the #9 shirt. Of course often now teams have shorter speedy forwards (so called "false 9s").

Frankball repped this.
  22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It reeeeeeeeeally sucks Utrecht took a crap in their cup loss at sad lowly NEC, who ended up getting by far the kindest semifinal draw (vs. Zwolle instead of either AZ or Ajax). Really quite a pathetic performance tonight and it has cost them big time.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so they are not target forwards. My point is that "target man" is just one way to play soccer and a rather crude one at that.

24. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it's just one way to play, but I don't think it's inherently crude. Don't get me wrong, the game has evolved to be more skillful that just long balls, but target forwards still have their uses.

Perhaps he was saying that they were playing the ball to him like he was a target forward, when he was short for that role. Regardless, I looked it up and Steve De Ridde played CF that game and his height is listed at 5'10" which isn't big but plenty of shorter guys play the position.

Frankball repped this.
  25. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Good to see that this loan move make it through. It sounds like it could be a good fit, and it'll be all up to Juan if he sinks or swims.