Juan Agudelo/America's next soccer star theads merged [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JBOBO, Nov 4, 2010.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Agudelo called in

If Bob Bradley feels Agudelo is a cut above on talent and can help the senior team, he should call him in.

Rewarding accomplishments is nice, but in the end of the day, it's about talent.

At this point in the cycle, Bradley has to think who is most likely to be a key player a few years down the road.

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your last sentence is the key. Bradley must think of the future. If the coaching staff thinks the current development trajectory of Agudelo will place him in competition for starts 2 yrs and more down the road, now is the time to start the process necessary to make him a veteran.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Juan Agudelo is about to turn 18.

Michael Bradley got his first cap with the USMNT when he was...........wait for it........18 (May of 06 against Venezuela).

Altidore got called up when he was 18. In fact Altidore got his first cap 11 days after his 18th birthday. We're talking about the same age here.

If Bradley has seen enough of Agudelo to think he's one of these elite talents, then there's no harm in bringing him in. Zero. Are you worried Robbie Findley or Conor Casey will miss out on this callup? We've seen those guys. If we assume Dempsey's not going to South Africa, which forwards do you call up? Altidore.......sure. Wondolowski. Sure, why not? Then what? Eddie Johnson? MLS question marks like Braun and Lenhart? I have nothing against those players, they're solid MLS players......but they don't have the potential to be elite talents. (Just my opinion.) If Bob thinks Agudelo does, then by all means give him just a taste of the USMNT now.

Let's not forget that Bob and his staff have probably seen a lot more of Agudelo than we have. He's made seven appearances for the U20's this year alone. He scored 12 goals in 16 appearances for the U17's. This kid didn't show up out of nowhere. The US coaching staff consults with the youth staff quite a lot. Bob and members of his staff can often be seen scouting these kids. And I'm sure Bob consults with the RBNY staff about this kid, too. We've heard of times when Bob will attend practices and training with certain clubs to look at players. It's not like Bob has one MLS start that he's basing this potential callup on.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I hope he got the call up, IMO his foot skills are better then most if not all the USMNT players now, besides Dempsey and maybe Altidore on a good day.

5. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Juan Agudelo

If he's able to participate in the torneo de las americas with the U20s and play in the friendly against SA, I don't see why not.

6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Considering both Bob Bradley and his buddy Bruce Arena did this for Micheal Bradley.

7. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For anybody who thinks facebook interactions are legitimate sources of information, I'm one of the guys who posted Agudelo's status saying that it was "one of the best days in his life."

Well, so much for our bigsoccer theory...

Brian AbernethyJuan Agudelo
    Can we expect to see you in South Africa on the 17th?

13 hours ago · LikeUnlike · Comment · See Friendship

Looks like we won't be seeing little johnny in South Africa...so what was the big news? Must be a european club?

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is 17 going on 18.

Maybe he gets his full adult drivers licence this week? Maybe he bought a new car? Maybe his romantic life took a turn for the better? Maybe he went to see his favorite band play? Could be a lot of things that a teen thinks make it one of the best days of his life.

10. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Sounds as though Ives should track Facebook instead.

12. academyinfo

academyinfo New Member

Jan 26, 2008

He is going

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very good news. I like that Bradley is willing to take a chance on this kid and not waiting for him to pad his resume. If nothing else, we will all see how far the kid has to go.

Does Bradley not still live in Jersey? I ask because Bob might have also been able to see him up close in training sessions to help form his decision as well.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

If he does indeed get called in, this will give more ammunition for kids to come back t o the MLS in order to play for the NT if they are in some obscure place.

15. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Posted on his wall:

Gale Agbossoumonde: Congrats bro

16. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was right on the schadenfreude bandwagon when Rossi got left out of the 2010 Italy squad, but as was wisely noted then, he's still a young guy and most of the players selected over him were older. Let's wait until he's missed the next two before we dance on his international grave.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Since when does Jozy have great foot skills?

18. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

Jozy has pretty good control, especially for a guy of his size, once he has the ball. His problem is the initial touch and control.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

^^^Exactly. He isnt consistent enough either.

Remember this vs. Holland?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoEHSftLKFQ"]YouTube - Jozy Altidore vs. The Netherlands[/ame]

Or his debut for Villarreal?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqxiekXThU"]YouTube - Jozy Altidore Villarreal Debut[/ame]

20. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As much as I have complained about Altidore's deficiencies I must admit that he is the best we have...

Maybe if we can get another striker who can challenge him he will step his game up to the next level...

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Yeah, we've had guys who were big and fast before, what made Jozy different is that he's big and fast, and can go on a dribbling run or use a ball move to beat a guy 1v1.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York

IMO the areas of weakness for Jozy are his first touch (that's a big one), his off-ball runs, which could be smarter, and a feeling I have that he mentally drifts in and out of games (not uncommon for young guys, particularly attackers).

If those areas get addressed, Jozy could very well be the $10 million player that Villarreal (and we) were hoping for. The stuff that got us excited about him (extreme level of athleticism combined with some real attacking 1v1 skill) is very real, and frankly with improved focus and a better first touch, he'd score a lot more. He's not that bad a finisher, it's his first touch more than anything that ruins opportunities for him.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jozy first touch has improved....imo.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

You mean the same ones that have defenders this whole year guessing where exactly he is on the pitch and turn around and see he is on another 1 vs 1 breakaway? i think its his lack of finishing not his runs.

25. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with this, still needs improvement, but it has improved.

I'm not that impressed with his 1 v 1 skills when he's facing a defender and trying to take the defender off the dribble. He tends to get stoned a lot. Not that we have many guys in our pool that can excel in this situation--really only Dempsey, Adu and Ryan Smith. Ryan Smith would be the best of those 3.

I agree with the criticism of Jozy's off the ball runs, but what really tended to bug me was that it seems that he's rarely in the right spots in the penalty area to pick off crosses or pick up the poachers goals (in situations where his team is not on a break). I think that he'll gain more of this sense over time, with more experience, though. He's young, he'll improve.