Juan Agudelo/America's next soccer star theads merged [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JBOBO, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Re: Agudelo called in

[​IMG]

2. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Via Agudelo's facebook :

Juan Agudelo

Just got the best phone call of my life. Goes down for one of best days of my life

everybody jumps to conclusions, but i'd assume its either a national team call-up or an offer from europe

3. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a call from Justin Bieber.

4. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Link?

5. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

False. Everyone knows a Canadian call-up is always rejected in favor of another country. :cool:

6. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm friends with him on facebook so I just saw it in my newsfeed...friend him if you want proof for yourself

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Maybe his girlfriend called him and told him to hurry to her place with a change of underwear and a toothbrush.

8. academyinfo

academyinfo New Member

Jan 26, 2008

You dont believe me. He is off to Africa and will be in uniform 11/18 vs South Africa.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

It wouldn't surprise any of us.

We just need to see it from a reliable source before we go crazy about it.

That's not meant to insult you. We're just a suspicious bunch on these boards.

10. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agudelo is on the U-20 roster that will take on the Colombia U-20's on November 26th. That roster has already been published.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-20-MNT/2010/11/U20-Squad-Set-for-Torneo-de-las-Americas-in-Kennesaw-Ga-in-late-November.aspx

Now, that doesn't exclude him from a USMNT call-up. It just seems unlikely that Bradley and Rongen would make a call-up without contacting each other.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Re: Juan Agudelo

Hard to say how good Lletget is. He's been at West Ham for several years now, and has had an up and down time there. Illness, injuries, blah, blah, blah.

Right now he's mostly a sub for the U18's and reserves.

I've never seen him play against adults, just U17's..........so I have no idea what he will develop into. Same can be said for Gyau, Molano, Salgado, Ruelas, Wood, Renken, and others.

We just saw Agudelo against men in a game that truly mattered, and he stood his own. I'm believing the hype on Juan now. He impressed me.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I also would find it unlikely that he'd play in both............but there's a week separating the two games. It's at least possible.

If we don't want him to rush back for the U20's against Colombia on the 26th, he could play against Mexico on the 28th.

Anyway, we'll find out soon.

13. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

hmmm...lots of players will be playing games a week apart a globe apart, so why not?

14. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we sure that Joey, Jacob, or Johnny Agudelo didn't make those comments? Rep to the man who made the toothbrush and underwear comment. :D

The timing of the facebook comment seems right. Bob was at his last game, probably cramming in his "survey" work...He figured that this Agudelo kid was looking good so he could probably get away with calling him up without anyone noticing he was otherwise slacking off from his survey work...:rolleyes: Nah, I'm sure that Bob has been doing his homework.

Let's see what Juan can do! I'm as excited as a person can be for a 17 year old Red Bull NY prospect.

Willing to bet that the roster is released tomorrow. From what we learned during the Davies rejection saga, Bob makes personal calls the day before, Jozy reacts via twitter, and the roster is released the next day.

15. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where will he be on the 17th? Thats the question.

16. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Bob will call up Robbie Findley again, just watch

17. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Or that he was on U-20 roster but the last game moved him up to USMNT/

18. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

With Renken and Lletget something really bad might prevent them from becoming big players. Otherwise their talents will prevail. They are that talented. The same with Agudelo.

19. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have been intrigued by Agudelo since seeing the highlight clip of his goal in the Milk Cup final. The performance against San Jose was extremely encouraging. He looked fast, strong, and athletic. What I liked most was his confidence holding the ball and taking on players. I haven't seen that from many US players on the senior NT, let alone from someone so young.

It looks like we could have something pretty special in the works with guys like Agudelo, Lletget, Lichaj, and Ruelas forming the nucleus of our future team. The timing couldn't be better for the attacking prospects because Donovan and Dempsey will probably be fading right as the young guys are peaking.

Of course, we have to temper our expectations. Guys like Spector, Simek, and Adu had just as much hype and none of them have become reliable first choice starters for USMNT. Even Altidore, who looked just as good at NYRB and commanded a massive transfer fee from a huge club, is still an inconsistent performer for the US. It's very likely that some of this young talent will fall by the wayside.

Having said that, you have to figure that a couple of these guys will pan out. Adding the likes of Lletget and Agudelo to a nucleus that includes Holden, Edu, Lichaj, and Altidore should help give us a competitive team in 2014. Maybe we will even find our first true international superstar.

20. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Andy Najar? :)

21. spunk

spunk Member

May 23, 2008

Could be.

Start IK reports on their web page that GOODSON is "called to South Africa again".

So, the call up is definitely in progress.

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I highly doubt it or I will lose a lot of faith in bob and I am a fan of his. How do you call up a kid who played in a couple games and got an assist. He is good but should he score first. Even altidore scored before he was called up. Shouldn't burnbary or mcinerney get called up before him based on production. Maybe even diskerud. The kid is really good and hopefully he cam train in January camp. Even Michael Bradley didn't get a cap at this age and he was playing a lot.

23. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this were a year away from the WC, I would totally agree with your post. I have stated on here before that I hate any radical experimentation with personnel within a year of the WC.

However, I am OK with trying to cap tie a young prospect early in a four year cycle. We are at the point in the cycle where experimentation and speculation are appropriate. If there are indications that this guy will likely be international caliber by 2014 when he is 20 or 21, then I say get him into camp now so he can familiarize himself with his USMNT teammates and with the USMNT system.

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

If it happens, it clearly wouldn't be based on production.

In my opinion, the kid is a stud. I was absolutely blown away and I expect him to have a great season for the red bulls next year and break into the full national team after the U-20s.

If Bob agrees, then calling him up now would be a way to impress upon him what is expected of a full international so that he's ready when the time comes.

Plus, he needs bodies, and Juan's not busy.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

Bob may want a close look at him-see how he moves and how he trains. What is wrong with that? It is not a reward system, he is not handing our cookies. Bob may feel he needs to see first hand what this guys bring to the table.