Juan Agudelo/America's next soccer star theads merged [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JBOBO, Nov 4, 2010.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Re: Juan Agudelo

Slaves is such a charged word - can we call them minyans?

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

That's not exactly how it went down.

In 2005 in an Italian interview Rossi was asked what he would do if the U.S. were to offer him a place at the World Cup. He responded:

"That would put me in a very difficult position. I would have to think hard about that one. However, I want to play for Italy."​

Then in Italian interview from 2007 he was asked if he could confirm that Arena had invited him to play for the U.S. the previous summer (presumably at the 2006 WC). Rossi responded:

"I can. And I thank him for it. But my heart is with Italy."​

Who knows whether that really happened or not -- although it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Arena, when faced with our 2006 forward pool, had pulled a 180 and made another pitch to Rossi.

However, I can't remember a single report attributing a "World Cup or nothing" ultimatum issued by Rossi to Bruce, as you are claiming. In fact, if what Rossi says is true then he actually turned down a chance to play for us in the World Cup.

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I would LOVE to ask Rossi if he regrets not choosing USA over Italy. He was left off the last WC.... and it was so obvious how much USA needed a forward of his caliber to raise their level in the last WC.....

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

I don't get to watch so much MLS these days, too busy. But, is the kid as good as he showed in that game? That was pretty sick.

In a recent thread, I argued against (I think I was arguing with you) bringing young forwards who hadn't done anything into camp, preferring to bring in middle young-ish forwards who'd done a little. But, if the kid has played consistently like that, I'd say camp him for S.A. And, cupcake for certain.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
  6. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he'll go all Valderama on us.

Carlos, not Wilbur, ftr.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

That's kind of the problem we're having in this discussion. There's not much of a sample size to work from.........just a couple of MLS appearances. But Backe's raved about the kid. I don't think it's an accident that Agudelo started that match while Henry sat. If Henry was healthy enough to play 8 minutes, he was healthy enough to play more than that. But Backe went with Agudelo over both he and Salou in their most important game of the season. Due to some other decisions Backe has made (Ream being one), I have some faith in his ability to judge talent.

So there are some that want the kid to accomplish more before getting a callup. Fine. I understand that position.

I've seen enough of his performances with US youth squads (& with RBNY) to feel like he's potentially a special talent. You don't treat a special talent like he's Cam Weaver or Adam Christman..........and just wait until he's done anything before calling him in. Get him in the fold now. Just my opinion.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Bowen and Agbossoumonde should be called in vs South Africa and Agudelo for January camp.

9. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

Are Striker Pool for the next u-20 world cup

Juan Agudelo
    Gustavo Ruelas
    Omar Salgado
    Tristan Bowen
    Stefan Jerome
    Jack McInerney

looks to good to be true but we might finally find Quality Strikers in the next 2 years for the National Team to team up with Altidore

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Salgado is starting training too with DCU soon. I think he could be very good also! I hope we land him in the draft!

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget Mwanga, though he's got eligibility issues at the moment. The kid (Agudelo) looked good last night, but I think it is too soon for any of them.

It does give me some hope. Right now, lets bring Buddle/Wondo/Findley/Braun in, hope Jozy keeps getting better in Spain, hope Davies gets back to form, and keep looking at EJ. LD and Dempsey are also options.

After another MLS season (or maybe sooner), then start bringing these guys into the mix. It is nice to see reinforcements on the horizon, however.

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

until it stops being an issue, i would say lets forget Mwanga when talking about U20 striker pool

For S.Africa and Camp Cupcake, i agree with Wondo and Buddle, but i would rather see an 18 yr old untested Agudelo over both Findley and Braun.

agreed, its nice to see these kids stepping up in a position where we are ultimately weak in

Next up, LEFT BACKS!!

13. fobo

fobo New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he's better than 70% of the strikers in MLS already and this was just his second game! Calling him to the national team is a no brainer...

14. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

I dont think it would happen until after the U-20 W-C but it would be nice to have him in January

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will say this the talent is there...what surprises me is how physically mature this guy is...he looks like a full grown athlete and he is only 17..

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mwanga and Conor Doyle both. Dudes getting PT in the Championship, that means something

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Quick thought on capping inexperienced players: England gave Jack Wilshere his international debut after 16 Premier League appearances.

18. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers

Agudelo is obviously talented, but I don't think he is ready to play in an important tournament like the Gold Cup (with CC qualifying at stake). After all, he's a kid who still isn't starting consistently for his MLS team, and some of the guys he is competing against for roster spots are MLS MVP candidates. With Dempsey playing at forward more, Charlie Davies recovering from his injuries, continued strong play from Buddle, and the emergence of Chris Wondolowski, the forward pool for the Gold Cup looks a lot better than it did for the World Cup even without bringing in the talented U20 guys like Agudelo.

19. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

No signs of that.

20. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought he played in some games recently?

Bobby Convey is making a case for himself.

21. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

So far his progress is exactly what to be expected from someone surviving a horrific accident. And it's not necessary a path to NT.

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thats still 12 more the Agudelo, and the Premier League to national team is more of a side step, as opposed to a step up. Oh yeah, and a couple of Wilshire's appearances were for Arsenal. I hear they are kind of a big deal.

23. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He scored the winner for the reserves the other day. I'd call that progress.

24. Federation Politics

Federation Politics New Member

Nov 17, 2009

Convinced me he has talent, athleticism, and a soccer brain. Makes next MLS season more interesting. Haven't seen that kind of young US potential in MLS since Altidore and Edu.

25. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

From PK