Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Okay, I have heard everything now.

Dirt McGirt, freisland and Borrachin repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    500 pages before Jozy gets the heck out of S'land? Any bets?

jmplautz and The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I'll bet you a ticket to the next Cascadia Cup match between the Timbers and Whitecaps that it gets to 500. But you'll have to accept a seat in Timbers Army, which means you can't wear Whitecaps colors. And I'll happily stand with you.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    When you have enough people on "ignore" sometimes thread arguments start to look a bit schizophrenic.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No self-respecting BS poster would use a ruler, as proper measuring would require a yardstick at the very least!

jond, Winoman, afgrijselijkheid and 2 others repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I hear you ...

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Now that's teh yuck yucks I've missed, Tim!

You've been too serious these last couple of months!

8. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This debate has me obsessively examining every detail of this GIF. Every time I watch it, all I end up focusing on is the fan to the right of the security guard. His face says it all really.

Dirt McGirt and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #7484 Bolivianfuego, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Looks to me like he slipped a bit right before the tackle and then he weas clipped too while he was falling down thus it being a foul.

Edit: the trailing leg of the defender clipped Jozy's foot as he was planting thus losing his step and falling.

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's deep too!

GalacticoX4 repped this.
  12. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Good idea to post the video. This should allow people to analyze it and give their own view.

afgrijselijkheid and luftmensch repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is what Jozy has brought to S'land. I've posted it before, but redundancy seems to be my sole talent.

S'land do not play prettier with Jozy, but I think often they are more effective.

Obviously, if Wikileaks can score a goal a game, he is way more valuable than Jozy to this barren team, but S'land's horrible goals against cannot be overstated. They need not to have to absorb pressure all game (31 shots from Chelsea) and Jozy, as a strong hold-up CF, helps them there and opens wide channels and give AJ and Borini more room to move.

But that skill is, for sure, secondary to putting the ball in the net, so as long as Conor is getting it done, Jozy will be the bench option.

usry723 repped this.
  14. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my defense, it hadn't been posted in the last 5 or so pages....

Winoman repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Another small point - they have had 5 red cards from defenders this season (3 for Wes Brown, 1 each on Alonso and O'Shea). Cattemole also had one. Don't have the exact time of the cards, but these have an effect on a feeble attacking team like Sunderland.

Again, its been a poor season for Jozy, but playing long minutes as a sole striker on a 10-man team is going to effect your stats as well.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  16. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

Feb 23, 2007
    HI
    The level of analysis over this penalty is bordering on absurd. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have nobody on ignore and it looks wither schizo or it could be one of those time loop thingies, where every day I log on BS and the same argument is starting all over again.

Sunderlands biggest problem is the fact that OG leads the side in scoring.

Fanatical Monk and ttrevett repped this.
  18. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

Feb 23, 2007
    HI
    According to the announce the other day, the penalty Jozy earned was, "The best goal Borini ever scored for Liverpool."

I thought that was hilarious

ttrevett repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Bordering?" I think I single-handedly jumped the absurd shark 20 posts ago!

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll not wade in much deeper than this: to me it looked like Jozy was trying to find a way to place his foot in an area where it would be swept and believable enough to get the call.

Whatev's, the linesman on the near side of the pitch to the incident saw it and IMMEDIATELY flagged. It wasn't just the CR making the call. Both saw it as a penalty, and thusly, it was. End of story. Move on. Please mods, end this debate.

Zak1FCK and Winoman repped this.
  21. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    http://www.eplreview.com/statistics-redcard.htm

Wes Brown 4' minutes, loss 2-0 to Hull
    36', loss 2-0 Stoke
    90 +3, 0-0 tie Norwich
    O'Shea 78', 3-1 loss Crystal Palace
    Cattermole 45+ 2, 1-0 loss Hull
    Dossena 45+6, 1-0 loss Hull(same game as Cattermole)

Yeah Sunderland shot themselves in the foot against beatable teams. They also scored some really untimely own-goals throughout the season. Sunderland fans love their Catts and their Wes Brown, so it's a lot easier to forget all that and blame the guy with 1 goal.

DiscoWarrior11 and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jozy mind-controlled Azpiliqueta to slide-in at that moment, then put his foot down to draw the penalty. He has been secretly manipulating this entire PL season, beginning with Sir Alex stepping down.

Okay, mods, stop it now!

24. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    I'll take it slightly deeper. I'll compare it to basketball when an offensive player gives a ball fake and the defensive player jumps in the air to block it. The offensive player then nudges into the defender and the defender is called for the foul because he's given up his positioning. A penalty was going to be called in this case regardless of who touched who first because the defender went for the slide tackle and gave up his positioning. Jozy is touched and goes down, end of story. If the defender stayed on his feet all this stupidity... I mean bickering would not exist because nothing would have been called.

Now end the suffering.

25. gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl Member

Sep 7, 2013