Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    So? That's Altidore's problem.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Shockingly sloppy defending to lunge that like. Clear penalty. Or as we say in the U.S., that's a PK every top of the morning to ye.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see jack from that angle.

4. nosqadupper

nosqadupper New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I can't give you guys new eyes or help you see reality, but at no point in this gif(which is at an absolutely perfect angle) does azpilicueta's trailing foot catch Jozy. That literally did not happen. What does happen is Jozy somehow manages to take the most awkward step I've ever seen with his left leg about 2 feet away from where it should have gone and steps on azpilicueta's trailing leg and goes down.

huckleberry123333 repped this.
  5. ak4na2

ak4na2 Member

Feb 9, 2005
    the defender probably assumed jozy was going to shoot or cross and lunged to block it. but jozy had other plans (not sure what it was) despite me screaming at him to shoot the damn ball.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't see him sliding away from Altidore, assumedly and arguably to block a cross? And then Altidore steps into him and has his foot taken out?

I understand why it's a pen in the modern game, but it shouldn't be. If there were replay in the sport I'd like to think that this would not be called, ever. In real time, I dunno... I guess you have to call it. Sad that this is what the game is inside the box these days. I say that as someone that's seen Liverpool get more than a few goals this season off of this kind of, shall we say, opportunistic striker play.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. He was begging for the pen, looking for it as soon as he approached the byline. And he got it. I don't even blame him, I blame the officiating structure of the prem.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Jozy's left foot is being pulled by Azpilicueta's trailing left foot.
    altidoze.png

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see the degree of contact in that gif (despite what another poster said the perfect angle would be from the opposite side). If Altidore does have his foot taken out it's a penalty. And I don't see anything sad about it.

10. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Watching it, it's probably a penalty and that certainly was my first reaction. It doesn't look like Altidore is trying to dive or sell anything as he's looking the other way at the ball, and suspiciously he seems to lose his footing at almost exactly the same time as the defender's trailing foot seems to be awfully near him.

Hararea repped this.
  11. nosqadupper

nosqadupper New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    No it isn't. Joy's left leg is in the air when azpilecueta is sliding. I'd love for someone to explain to me how Jozy's leg is dragged or caught when he's in complete control and is the one taking the step. I can see it being hard in real time but anyone watching a reply and claiming this is a penalty needs a vision test

12. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Pretty much. Now if it had been Geoff Cameron on Peter Odemwingie, more on here would agree with you.

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If a U.S. defender lunged like that in an international match he'd be torn apart in the U.S. forums.

DiscoWarrior11 and luftmensch repped this.
  14. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    In the air?
    altidoze2.png

SpencerNY repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he wouldn't. If he lunged like that into a player, that would be different. Players lunge to get a foot on a cross all the time, he went away from Altidore.

Whatever. He did get his ankle so I guess it's a pen. Honestly I wish they would overhaul the officiating but I don't know what you can do about this. If a striker reaches his foot out like that into a defender sliding away from him and goes over, I'd like that to not be a pen but it's impossible to call in real time.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just logged in to say I'd be afraid of the red based on my Italy 06 trauma.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does everyone care? Is this a Chelsea forum?

19. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I'm not sure about that...If Jozy goes to those lower league teams and score the goals he's scored at AZ, I still don't think much bigger teams would come for him unless his football shows "EVOLUTION"..Meaning he'd have to massively improve in the areas that was perceived as being weak even after his great season at AZ.....

Big team scouted Jozy at AZ when he had his best year and still didn't think he was ready...He could go to france and score 12-17 goal, but unless scouts can see a more rounded striker that can score in a variety of ways, I doubt any EPL teams would bring him on...He will have improve in the air and be able to create his shots on his own.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Perfect time for Jozy to grab a goal if they allowed him to take the PK.

Or is Borini their designated taker?

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably more down to Altidore being designated to not take penalties.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly. The Premier League may be the best in the world but it's not an absolute necessity to play there. If he was scoring in Italy or France, he'd still get massive Respect/Support from club/NT fans and his career would still go on to be productive and arguably (still possible) the best striker the NT has ever had.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Now is that just cause Borini is that much better or simply Jozy has been trash simply. Now I get it, they're in a relegation fight and maybe not much sense to risk it with him shooting. But imagine had he been given the Go to have a whack and scored it. Would be the dose of morale he greatly needed.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, if they wouldn't allow him a single crack at any dead ball even early on when he was still their big signing newly arrived, easy to see why they wouldn't trust him with a win against Chelsea on the line this late in the season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Such an important penalty, you're going to want the guy whose most likely to put the ball in the back of the net. That just isn't your substitute striker who's struggling in front of goal. Improving a player's morale doesn't enter into the equation for such an important penalty.

russ repped this.