Jozy Altidore can't be stopped in Holland

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by zanedtlab, Oct 1, 2012.

1. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The kicker on that one is once they move away they aren't coming back---

all MLS teams have their own academy I believe but all players in the world are scouted and ranked

The MLS has a real uphill climb to get to anyone's choice to play unless they are trying to get a few more years

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not always there are a number who go over to Europe and get homesick or just don't cut it. Robbie Rogers started off in Heerenveen after a year or two at the University of Maryland but didn't even last a full season because he was homesick. Ricardo Clark couldn't cut it in Germany and is now back with MLS.

The Academies are really not the same as the European ones and the only ones that are successful are those that are in areas where there is an established good youth and high school program like here in the DC area. Rather than playing for their high school teams, the best players are in the DC United Academy which is run by a retired Ajax player Sonny Silooy.

3. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Any chance Altidore gets homesick?

Any chance he becomes a franchise player in the MLS?

i really doubt it because from his last few interviews he has really grown up and I'm thinking he believes he will flourish somehwere in Europe--like the EPL

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No way he comes home. There's a lot of pressure on him to be the first consistent scoring American striker in a top 4 league. Plus he's a legit starter for the NT despite not scoring in over a year, if he moves home, he loses that spot.

5. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    3 more for Jozy---2 on PK---why on earth was Gorter taking the PK earlier in the season--Jozy could have had a few more in his total

Ridiculous game--better to be on the AZ side--any Utrecht fan would have turned it off after the 2nd red and 2nd PK
    the refs are just plain bad---there should have been another PK on Beerens and both the first 2 I've seen ignored many times

the commentator-- a Brit said he has 21 for a lower almost relegation squad--how good would he be with some better service--- and how much will AZ get for him

Now AZ as a total budget of 25mil--if Maher--Jozy and Viergever all go--(my estimate only)--that's 12 mil-10 mil-4 mil---they attain next years budget--but they need some better bodies because this year has been pretty bad and with 20+ goals leaving next year could be even worse

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Recent history of Ere-divisie strikers moving to another league hasn't been stellar.

7. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree but do you not think that Jozy has the size and speed to be a striker in the EPL

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Perhaps, but the same could be said for Alfonso Alves.

9. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a few years older than Jozy when he was tearing up Eredivisie

He was already 27 when he transferred to the EPL

10. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I can't believe Middlesbrough paid €20 million for Alves...Insanity.

11. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Alves was a Brazilian and 27 when he left-and it turns out at his peak--then went downhill fast once he hit the big money--probably started partying a little too much--apparently this is a trend with the South Americans

I think Altidore at 23 is a different case altogether--both in size, background and his learning curve

He would be a lot of fun to watch at an attacking club like PSV--but my thinking is a mid-EPL club-
    -but he needs to keep playing regularly--he has developed under Verbeek because he works so much harder this year compared to last

12. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Jozy improving or is it the balls Adam Maher sets him up with

13. That's a remark made out of not knowing how it works. A few years ago Vitesse had a Greek scoring machine called Machlas. So Ajax bought him. A better team with better service you would expect.....but the Greek stopped scoring...so a Dutch top scorer doesnot have to change to another league to stop scoring:whistling:

And about the Alves remarks....I should stop to try to learn certain people something, but I have that urge to lift people to a higher level...so here we go again. Alves didnot tear up the league. By stating that you claim he is the only one responsible for the goals he scored. The truth is that he was part of a fine tuned attacking machine in which he was the last (scoring) part. So, as I so many times have stated to the ignorant, the EPL idiots with far too much money only look at the scoring table and buy the end station and then wonder why it doesnot work...But hey, I have explained it far too often to the Anglo Saxon ignorants that I really should stop doing that as it is like lecturing to a brick wall.

14. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Definitely a little of both but if he had a Lens or Mertens or Narsingh on his attack instead of Berghuis, Gudmondsen,and Beerens I am sure he would get a little more space to work

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Alfonso Alves seems to be the greatest example of someone excelling in the Dutch league only to flop at a much bigger league. Though I do recall he didn't flop so much in the PL, as he just didn't live up to his price tag and scoring.

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe it's just because we Dutchies know how to get the best out of strikers while other leagues do not. And seriously, how is it in any way relevant that some players have failed to live up to expectations? There are many, like Suarez, who have exceeded expectation. This weird recurring argument almost makes me believe better players come out of the Belgian league.o_O

BTFOOM, TFC Ajax, BTV802 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    AZ beats Herevereen 4-0. Jozy scores 2 and grabs an assist.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    In the league? Cause he's certaintly close

19. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Jozy has 2 goals in 2 games for the USA--in the last week

I also read somewhere a few weeks ago his selling price was 5-mil Euros

I'm thinking his selling price has doubled in the last week---

I also predict he stays at AZ until Xmas and then goes to a lower EPL club--like Newcastle--Fulham

or Aston Villa--especially if Benteke leaves

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Those January transfers never seem to work well especially if you're going to a club fighting a relegation fight. One mistake and you're on the bench until they're in relative safety again. I think the goal and performance against Germany definitely helped his case for his price.

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see that happening. Jozy's already done with lower-level EPL clubs. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and has settled in very well at AZ. He'll be playing in Europe next year and AZ could easily be competitive in the Eredivisie again next year. If he goes, it should be to a club with a little bit more ambition than a lower-end EPL side. But I think it would be fine if he stays.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at La Viola.

23. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Bye-Bye Jozy--I did get to see him for 1 AZ game

looks like Sunderland--Ernie Stewart should try to delay this as long as possible--every time he plays and scores for the USA--AZ is looking at another $1 mil

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is this for sure? If so...not too happy about a move back to england...