Joshua Perez training with PSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Nov 28, 2012.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. I donot understand what your point is. Can you mention at least 3 foreign youngsters that came through the academy of the top clubs (like ACM , Inter, Juve) in Italy the last 10 years?

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The important part of that article is....................

Without a passport from a European Union country, there are some complications to any full time move across the Atlantic for Perez. However, indications from those close to the player suggest that the Perez family is firmly committed to making the situation work.

So we'll see.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Exactly. I'd like to see how they're going to swing that one.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netherlands is fine

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't follow the Serie A clubs youth academies to really care about which club produces which prospect. Suffice it to say is, when you have Mario Balotelli and Stephan el Shaarawi (along with Borini, Florenzi, Destro, Romagnoli, De Sciglio, Veratti, Santon, et. al.) still eligible for your U-21 team, you ain't doing too badly.

A Euro club can probably offer Hugo a "scouting" job and it wouldn't be a waste of money either.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    But that's his uncle......................not his parents.

You're right, though. The big clubs can always find a way.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A legal guardian would probably do.

Or maybe the kid's dad wants to sing at La Scala. Then Milan has a leg up.

9. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well after reading this thread I must say that I believe that Lee Nyguen should go back to Europe he has been is fine form last season and was never given a proper chance how many times does that happen??

Adu, Feilhaber, Nyguen players that were so highly rated that I believe can still achieve a lot hopefully Perez can catch a b reak unlike these guys

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With messi, he moved to Barcelona with his dad. His dad was a janitor at the club. The key is to move there with family and for them to have a full time job.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But didn't Messi move to Barcelona before FIFA had their policy prohibiting minors from transferring to foreign countries?

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It depends on what year FIFA introduced that policy. He moved to Barca in 2000, when he was 12-13, but the fact that his father moved with him would be a clear work-around for any FIFA policy, then or since.

Bolivianfuego and Martin Fischer repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the current policy came in place in 2009. Not that they police it, but I think hiring a foreign janitor while his son "happens" to play for the academy would raise some suspicions with FIFA.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmmm......

I mean is it that wrong that the team would help the father FIND work? I know a friend of mine's kid lpays at Barcelona, and her and her family left and relocated, finding new jobs, and a new life just for their kid to play over there.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, much earlier (though after Messi's move)

http://www.sportslawchat.com/tag/fifa/

Without a move, we have a Preston Zimmerman precedent of a kid going in for 3 months on a tourist visa and then coming back for a visit with the parents and so on - something he would have done anyway.

As to jobs, it's easy to do it via a sponsor. Of course, given Spain's unemployment rate, someone might raise a stink about that too.

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Preston Zimmerman? Sorry I don't get the reference. Only knjwo the guy from playing at the lower levels of Germany, was a past youth product...but not much else.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think *theoretically* the club isn't supposed to help (it would be an easy enough thing to work around). They want to stop kids from moving only for soccer, but the powerful clubs do find ways around it. Even the US has kids coming from Central America and Africa on some kind of exchange programs (see Rush Soccer).

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. DCU supposedly helped find work for Andy Najar's family members that they've helped bring over.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If Perez is REALLY good, and his father is competitive employment-wise, a job can always be found for the father somewhere, either in the club or at a sponsor. Worst comes to the worst the kid's father or uncle (Hugo) can start taking UEFA coaching badges in the club's country, while based in the same city as the club.

Another option is that he can be sent on a High School exchange programme, living with a host family that, purely by coincidence, happens top be based in the town of his club.

At the end of the day it depends on how much the club wants the kid and how much muscle the club has with the civil and footballing authorities in the country. If it's PSV, they'll have enough to, shall we say, "finesse" things.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Anybody gonna tell him?