PBP: Jornada 31 | La Liga BBVA 13/14 | RCD Espanyol v FC Barcelona | 29 March 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Saturday the 29th of March 2014

| BARCELONA (CET), 16:00 | LOS ANGELES (PDT), 08:00 | MONTREAL (EDT), 11:00 | LONDON (GMT), 15:00 | MELBOURNE (AEDT), 02:00 (NEXT DAY)

Convert to your local time

[​IMG]

Estadi Cornellà-El Prat
    Barcelona

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previous Meetings

Jornada 12 | La Liga BBVA 13/14 | FC Barcelona 1-0 RCD Espanyol | 1 November 2013

Thu 30/05/13 CAT Espanyol 1 - 1P Barcelona

Mon 27/05/13 PRD Espanyol 0 - 2 Barcelona

Sun 06/01/13 PRD Barcelona 4 - 0 Espanyol

Sun 06/05/12 PRD Barcelona 4 - 0 Espanyol

Mon 09/01/12 PRD Espanyol 1 - 1 Barcelona
    Sun 08/05/11 PRD Barcelona 2 - 0 Espanyol
    Sun 19/12/10 PRD Espanyol 1 - 5 Barcelona

[​IMG]

REFEREE

[​IMG]

GENERAL STATS + PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]

PLAYER STATS

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MATCH STATS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gilmango, inswinger and puyol repped this.
  2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #2 inswinger, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Let's take care of business. No repeats of the Tamudazo, please. Espanyol can be a huge pain in the arse even on a regular Liga jornada. Expect a war-- they'd love nothing more than to derail us. Aguirre is a perfect coach for their trolling ways too.

edit: then again, we can "afford" a draw, then win out the rest of the games and potentially win the league on tiebreaker at 94 points for all 3 clubs (us, LPB, and Atleti). Craziness.

Gilmango repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No slip ups, need a great squad even with the CL match lurking on Tuesday morning, and despite this being the 3rd match in 7 days and part of 4 in 10 days stretch (Clasico Sunday, Celta Weds, this Derbi tomorrow Sat, Atletico next Tues). Fortunately we rested five of our "core players" against Celta: Xavi, Alves, Pique, Busquets, and Pedro. I'd like to see all of them start, and expect to see at least 4 start, Pedro the only question mark as Tata seems to like the all S.Am. M-A-N forward trident.

Here's my guess:
    Pinto
    Alves-Pique-Masch-Alba (could also see Adriano spell Alba, or Bartra spell Masch - I'd like both)
    Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta (could see Cesc spell Iniesta too, which I'd like to see just to spell Ini a bit)
    Pedro-Messi-Neymar (could easily see Sanchez spelling Neymar, really hope not Alexis over Pedro though)

Then come Atletico I think we are back to the 3 attacking midfielders we've been using lately in huge games:
    Pinto
    Alves-Pique-Masch-Alba
    Xavi-Busquets-Cesc
    ????-Messi-Iniesta (I'd like ???? to be Alexis, my second choice Pedro, but if I bet on Tata's choice it would be Neymar).

Hope I can watch the Derbi live but I'm off on spring break with the family tomorrow, heading to Carpinteria, so might just be following on this thread via smartphone.

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tough match. Start Pedro. Must win.

Gilmango repped this.
  5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Espanyol away is always tough. Although sometimes I like to think that Iniesta's World Cup gesture to Dani Jarque has only helped ease relations between the two clubs. Espanyolistas - along with most throughout Spain - have applauded Iniesta whenever he gets subbed off/in.
    But, yes, a win is crucial and would put even more pressure on Atletico Madrid, who play in Bilbao later in the day (night).

MavadoDribblez and Gilmango repped this.
  6. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't believe it, I FINISH WORK AT 16.00 so I will miss the match and to think I asked for the early shift as I thought I might only miss the 1st half as it would start at 16.00 UK time

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Early morning for me. Earlier in the season, I wouldn't bother getting up for a match, but now that it's do-or-die time, I'm going to kick my fandom into gear.

8. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am going to ask to leave at 15.30 so I can get home for 16.00 and catch the 2nd half and hope the boss man says it's cool

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TotalBarca's prediction and squad list:

Alex Song is out with a calf knock, Carles Puyol and Jonathan Dos Santos are also injured. Once again, Martín Montoya is left out as is Isaac Cuenca and Ibrahim Afellay. Iniesta has been included, but is unlikely to start, and should rather rest for Atletí. Tata’s previous line-ups before a big clash tend to include most the starters for that clash, preferring to fine tune the plan rather than rest the legs.

Predicted Starting XI: Pinto; Alves, Mascherano, Piqué, Alba; Xavi, Busquets, Fàbregas, Pedro, Messi, Neymar

Match Squad (18): Pinto, Olazábal, Piqué, Fàbregas, Xavi, Pedro, Iniesta, Alexis, Messi, Neymar Jr., Mascherano, Bartra, Sergio, Jordi Alba, Tello, Adriano, Dani Alves, Sergi Roberto.

10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    any chance dos santos will play again this season? what's the status on his injury?

11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injured late October, surgery in early November, "6 month" type injury (same as VV with a torn ACL) so the only way we see him is at the very end of a game we have already won, just so the fans can cheer his recovery (ala Affelay whom we haven't seen since his couple cameos, and we haven't seen Cuenca at all, though Cuenca had a set back) but in now way does he play meaningful minutes this season, even if we had a couple midfielders injured I think we'd be better off with a fit player from Barca B.

Also with ACL injuries, while the recovery time has gotten a tad shorter over the years 6 months is just for returning to the field but rarely are you at your best, esp. in terms of confidence (trusting your body), for a longer period.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't rep you because of the contents of the video are too depressing :(

I remember that day and it was surreal. Both goals happening basically in the same minute was just too crazy. What I didn't remember is that it was the game of the Hand of Messiah. I could swear it was earlier in the season.

inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That was back in the day when I was a "stream virgin". I was literally following the match against Espanyol here on Big Soccer (before I joined). I remember a poster suggested that everyone adopt an Argentina flag as their avatar if the results held ( :cry: ). That feels like such a long time ago...

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Definetely a must win game. Not only to retain the gap with RM but it will add preasure on AM.

15. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    official:

neymar---------messi----------pedro
    -----------cesc-----------xavi----------
    alba-------------busi-------------alves
    ---------masch--------pique-----------
    -----------------pinto-------------------

bench:
    oier, adriano, bartra, roberto, iniesta, alexis, tello

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  16. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If anyone finds good streams, share them please.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Busquets really hasn't been himself for a while has he ? Starts with a bad pass.

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Weak header ... Neymar should have done better there. It was a perfect cross.

20. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Alves? :eek:

21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viscaelbarca repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Make that 2 great passes :eek:

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  23. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pique the idiot with another typical handball...

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I also didn't remember that the Hand of Messiah was that same game.

Yeah, not looking for rep there, just some guarded confidence going into this game.

I also don't trust this ref, Clos Gomez...

25. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

He's def on something...