Jones: VFB Stuttgart vs FC Schalke 04

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by twoolley, Dec 8, 2012.

1. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Jones with an assist on the schalke goal. 1-1 14th minute

2. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Found himself on the left on a quasi-counter attack. left footed cross for an easy finish to a guy in a blue shirt.

3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red card for JJ. That's his first ever straight red. Anybody see it? I am just listening.

4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    shoot, had to stop watching. too bad i missed that, or maybe a good thing. i dont need any red cards affecting my vision of jones haha just kidding. if anyone saw it explain, porfa

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reporter just said it was a harsh decision, that he really didn't touch the Stuttgart player.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Harsh. The reason why he gets carded is he misses the ball and comes from completely behind Traore, but it's a surprisingly non-crunchy tackle.

deuteronomy, HartwickFan and Hobo repped this.
  7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the words of his daddy "ops normal" ;)

8. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    kind of a strange play/tackle attempt. I can understand how live in real time he could get a red, but the contact in the end was non-threatening. A better question would be what JJ thought he was going to accomplish on that one. He was so late.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arschkarte!

Hobo repped this.
  10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah I wouldn't give a straight red for that but it was a very awkward, silly tackle by Jones.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he is working his way in to getting release again for our January camp.

twoolley repped this.
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    dangerous play. You do not have to actually hurt the other player. Clear cut red.

F96 repped this.
  13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    have any of you reffed? Was it dangerous and did he put the other player at risk? How is that NOT dangerous?

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B.S. red card ! Weird tackle, I admit, but it looked like the player jumped and came down on JJ outstretched thigh. Harsh. Harsh. A yellow I could see but a red --- no way.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    100% red. There is no other way to call it. Card colors are not determined by whether the player receiving the tackle lived or died. He left his feet with a FLYING tackle.

F96 repped this.
  16. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's the case per the laws of the game and advice.

It is certainly arguable but not clear cut. While you are right that an attempt is all that's required (and not actual contact) to be "serious foul play" it is still a subjective call as to whether his attempt was careless, reckless or rose the level of excessive force. The first would warrant nothing, the second a yellow and the third a red. (Per FIFA's interpretation"

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    5% red: minimal contact, came in from the side hooking around the other guy, foot was low by the time there was any chance of contact, trailing leg tucked/low, studs pointed mostly down and directed at the ball not the man.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Geez, if that was not excessive force, what is? This tackle is harder than the one that broke Holden's leg by the crazy Dutch dude. I will grant you that the contact here was not as bad, but Jones came flying in like a madman. The ref did his job when sending Jones off.

F96 repped this.
  19. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, you're making the argument and not just making a conclusory assertion. Hence, my point it is arguable. At the same time, it's arguable that while jones was guilty of a foul (whether there was some contact or none), the absence of much if any contact (I didn't see any) makes it possible that a ref could see it as reckless and not excessive force.

Also, as bob morocco points out, he came in from side, his trailing leg was tucked and his toe was pointed downward.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    i think we are missing the point. I've been waiting all year for a JJ red, and we have finally have one. JJ going in the book is one of the only reason i check this board.

Congrats to JJ, you worked hard and earned it.

Gorky repped this.
  21. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda 50/50 to me. Dangerous play that could have ended up with Traore badly injured. You go flying in like that, you have given up control of what's going to happen at the point of contact. Maybe the opponent jumps out of the way and nothing really happens, maybe his foot is planted with his knee locked and you bring his career to a screeching halt. I don't know if I'd have given him a red, but hadn't the ref given pseudo-YA Sakai a pretty soft red not long before this? At least he was fairly consistent.

22. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mascherano made tackles like that each week when he played for Liverpool. He used to slide completely from the back and hook his foot around. Fun to watch, but scary.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    not from the side boys. This was more from the back

24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JJ's tweet:

@Jermainejunior: Sorry for the red card!! But I'm not 100% on the ref side. And I also don't need to go there in a 50:50 ball. Sorry boys and Schalke Fans!!

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ref is not good in close games. He only gets good ratings in blow outs. You never want to give him the chance to decide a game.