John Terry's Sending-Off Explained

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PoshSpur, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    After watching many replays of the sending off, I can only assume that it was for a racial slur pointed at Ledley King, from his England counter-part, John Terry.

Why do I say this? Well, let's look at the facts together.

There was a nothing challenge from Terry on King, but King reacted as I've never seen him react before. If Robbo hadn't stept in to prevent King from running over to Terry at that instance, then I fear there would have been a bigger problem.

Then we have two other Spurs players, Chimonda and Assou-Ekotto, who are also black, running after Terry and asking him to repeat himself.

Terry realised what he had done and walked off after receiving the red card without a fight.

I tried calling talkSPORT today as no one had said anything about this on the breakfast show.

Their producers told me not to say such things and put the phone down.

Why is it that the England Captain seems to be imune to any punishment??

Any thoughts?

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt it, King and Terry have known each other since childhood, they were on the the same team at some youth club and Terry condemed racism last month, It could of been a non-racist insult or it could of been for the shove on Assou-Ekotto.

The thing i found strange was that Terry didn't complain when he got sent off, he just accecpted it as if he got what he deserved.

3. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Without trying to condemn the guy on pure speculation...

I would tend to agree with you Posh.

Look at the reactions of his players, Wright-Phillips.. and SWP's expression. Then King, Chimbonda, BAE and Zokora.

Look at Terry's reaction. He shuffles the armband off, doesn't complain, just walks.

If you're being sent off for a tug in the box then you protest. If you've been caught doing something you shouldn't then you don't. His lack of protest is an admission of guilt to me.

Also look at Poll's reaction. He doesn't go to book Terry until after the incident, when something is said. It may have been the last straw after several incidents but I would suggest the things said were worthy of a yellow card.

We won't find out though. People like Essien and Drogba looked pissed off with him too.

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

From what I saw, the referee didn't blow up until the actual incident occured that I think he got sent off for. He DID say something to King, the players DID surround him, and the ref didn't blow the whistle until the incident I point to occured.

ONE out of all the cameras caught it clearly. Assou-Ekotto was walking away, Terry walked past and elbowed him in the back of the head right in front of the ref. Chimbonda shouted and ran towards him, Ekotto went to say something, and the ref blew his whistle and showed him a second yellow.

One point to make about the possible racist remark though - do you think the ref would have shown him a second yellow for it? Surely the rules must state it's straight red or nothing? To be honest with all the campaigns and so on, the ban handed to the player who made remarks to Benni McCarthy, I would think it would have been straight red rather than second yellow.

5. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I still don't think it was racist, John Terry doesn't seem to be like that sort of guy, he was probably sent off for the shove on Assou-Ekotto

The ref was quite a distance away too so he wouldn't of been able to hear anything. So I am sure the sending off had nothing to do with racism.

as biggskizz said he would probably just been given the straight red if that was the case.

6. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    From the look of the reactions, I can see how that would make the puzzle pieces fit together; and honestly I don't know one way or another. But, I sincerely hope that nothing like that was said. Everything I've ever seen or read about John Terry indicates that he's a very competitive guy, but not a racist. I'd like to think that even if his emotions got the best of him and he lashed out with something hurtful and insincere that he wouldn't make a remark of that nature. I'm going to assume he didn't .. and hope I'm right.

On an unrelated note, I predicted a Spurs loss against Chelsea ... I'm quite glad I was wrong on that one.

-Digital

7. Skizz

Skizz Guest

One certain thing is he definitely said something to piss King off. As it has been mentioned they knew each other from playing for Under-11's teams together and so on, so it must have been something personal. I think Chimbonda and Zokora racing after him could have been something related to that...maybe it was something personal that the Spurs players were aware of, and due to King and Terry's close relationship something that Terry knew would get to him.

Sad thing is, we will probably never know...

8. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    I've looked at the incident over and over again.

Terry had both his arms on King's back/shoulders while the free kick was being taken, and was leaning on him, probably hoping to get some elevation. Both of them lost their footing, King first - helped by Terry's leaning on him - then Terry, who fell on top of him.

King was the first to get up and looked pretty angry immediately. So at this point it seems like he was just angry about being fouled. Some reports say that Terry caught him on the throat while falling.

Now the controversial part. Terry definitely says something to King, and from his body language, it's something condescending. His back is to the camera, so we can't read his lips. Now, it seems to me that King was pretty angry even before Terry opened his mouth. I can't really tell whether he got angrier once words were exchanged, because Robinson was there in a flash to push King away. Chimbonda was right behind King and Terry the whole time, so he definitely heard the exchange.

The ref wasn't that far away, so it's a possibility that he heard something too. The ref first goes to King and tells him to calm down. And from then on his eyes are directly on Terry. Meanwhile, the England captain turns around, drops his shoulder and needlessly barges into Assou-Ekotto (who was minding his own business), at which point Zokora and Chimbonda start chasing him down.

Once the ref calls Terry over, he knows the red is coming because he doesn't even break his stride, and walks straight off.

My conclusion is that regardless of what was said, Terry deserved a second yellow for running into Assou-Ekotto alone. He also deserves a hefty fine for verbally abusing the WHL steward who pointed out that he could not sit on the bench after getting a red card, but had to go down the tunnel.

I agree that if he said something racist, it should have been a direct red. But the ref knew he was on a yellow already, so giving him another might have seemed the logical thing to do in the heat of the moment.

In the end, we'll never know unless the players come forward with what was said.

9. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    I was also thinking it was something racist and it is something that John Terry is perfectly capeable of. Rember what ahppened in the iarport incident?

10. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I have watched it again, it is possible, he clearly said something which made Chimbonda and Zokora very angry.

11. Fernando Ayawnso

Fernando Ayawnso New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Dirty Jersey
    i would be very surprised if he did. it just makes no sense, and you don't get to where he is without being somewhat intelligent.

but, in the heat of battle, who knows. it certainly looks that way from the replays. even his own teammates seemed to be disappointed in him.

12. ChicagoSpurs

ChicagoSpurs New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Chicago, IL USA
    Being a warrior doesn't mean being a dick... smooth move, JT.

13. Skizz

Skizz Guest

John Terry has given his opinion of the sending off and, as expected, he has blamed Graham Poll -

"I'm still really baffled by it, I've looked at it myself over and over again.

"Me and Ledley fell to the floor, we got up, we had words, but I used to play Sunday football with him. (Bit of an odd thing to say - Skizz)

"On the pitch Graham Poll said to me it was for the barge on Ghaly. After the game it was said for the fall when me and Ledley fell. So I'm just really disappointed, it was my first time being sent off for Chelsea."

Now, two questions arise here. First - Poll didn't say ANYTHING to him on the pitch! He called him over, showed him the cards and Terry walked. Terry didn't even STOP. How the hell could he have fitted in a word edgeways, considering Poll didn't even open his mouth? Puzzling.

Also, if he said he gave it for the initial fall with King, surely he would have given a penalty? Hmmm. Methinks Terry is talking poo poo.

Here's the article. Cashley was also moaning about his yellow - especially funny is his quote -

"I'm not moaning, I'm really not."

SHUT IT

Sky Sports - Terry baffled by dismissal

14. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I'm not going to moan but..... :D haha

If Terry was that baffled then he would have protested at the time.

Chelsea can't lose normally, there has to be a reason why and it can't be that Spurs were better.

15. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I've looked at it again and again and again. Only the black players retaliate.

My final assumption is that Terry was sent off for the elbow on Assou-Ekotto, but he did also make a racist comment that the ref didn't hear.

Well done biggSKIZZ for seeing the elbow. You closet yid :D

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Yeh, that's my impression too. Plus SWP (?) doesn't seem too happy with Terry either. Otoh, if Terry did make a racist remark and all those (black) players heard it, I'm surprised that nobody has gone public with it. I guess one could plausibly argue that the England players could be "protecting" Terry, but not all those players were English. Additionally, it's not as though players are reticent these days about complaining about racial abuse.

17. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    This is the only reason I'm a little sceptical about the whole racist remark theory. I can understand why Ledley wouldn't go straight to the papers even if there had been one. But Chimbonda, Zokora and Assou-Ekotto (all of whom were involved in the incident to some extent) have no loyalty to the England captain. I think that their desire to expose a racist would be greater than any desire to avoid publicity/be in the spotlights.

18. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

...some things are always kept under the carpet my friend.

19. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    True. But the more I watch the incident, the more I think that the black players' reactions had more to do with the shove on Assou-Ekotto than anything else.

I've been observing the players for a while now and it seems like a little French-speaking contingent has been developing. Chimbonda, Zokora and Assou-Ekotto really stick together and show a lot of solidarity with each other.

Zokora and Chimbonda are close to the incident from the begining, but they only seem to get outraged (and actually begin chasing Terry) after he has barged into Assou-Ekotto.

20. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, something like this would be exposed quickly. If there was a hint of a racist remark by Terry it'd be all over the papers the next morning, could you imagine the sales?

It was something else, the lack of any accusations towards him pretty much negates the idea of a racist remark.

21. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    New Light Has Been Shed On This Matter

Please watch the clip again and you can clearly see Chimbonda saying;

"Pardon e moi" = Repeat yourself

Why oh why would he say something like that?

22. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agree with that Prenn said, imagen if he did make a racist remark? the papers would have a field day the next morning, This sort of thing wouldn't be swept under the cover.

the ref was too far away to hear anything, he obviously sent him off the shove on Assou Ekotto or the shirt pulling in the box.

Ledley and John have known each other since they were kids when they were playing sunday league together.

23. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because he wants him to repeat what he just said?

I'll say it again: There has not been one accusation of racism by Terry either by the referee, the players, the press or the pundits. There are plenty of people who would gain from accusing Terry of making a racist remark, there's no way it could be swept under the carpet.

It's a dead horse, I invite you to stop flogging it.

24. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Maybe John Terry said "If you want my shirt, you can have it after the game" and then Assou-Ekotto said "No thanks, I rather take the shirt off your sister and mother instead" ;) in which John Terry reacted with an elbow to his head :p because Assou-Ekotto insulted Terry's Family honour.

:D

Hang loose.