John Spencer Fired, Wilkinson is temporary head coach

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Dignan23, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Thoughts?

On the one hand, you would think that a win over Seattle would give Spencer a little more time. On the other hand.....it wasn't so much the loss to RSL that was the final nail in the coffin so much that it was the WAY that they lost to RSL. That was just an ugly, ugly game to watch.

I like John, and I hope he finds work soon and is a success at it.

Wilkinson was a successful coach in the USL, so maybe he can work some magic with the Timbers for the rest of the year.

I wonder if this is a sign that Merritt is going to be quick on the draw with coaches in the future?

2. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Spencer is a good coach, its unfortunate Timber players gave up on him.

3. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he is gone.

Tactics are stuck in the late 80's early 90's.

Was funny at first with his wit and quips but turned into a condescending little twat once the going got rough.

Became clear that he yells just to yell from the sideline. How about sitting down and shutting your yap and letting the boys play.

4. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    We're in luck!

Maradona was fired as head coach of his club team in United Arab Emirates, so he's available to be hired as head coach of the Timbers.

Do you think that Merritt knew that this was coming, and that's why he fired Spencer?

5. Terroni

Terroni New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Club:
    Club América
    Gavin Wilkinson needs to be fired immediately as he is the PROBLEM! He has no idea what he is doing and does not have the talent to be a General Manager in the MLS and is just not good enough to be a coach. Until Wilkinson is fired Portland will be a losing team. We must demand him out of the club.