John Doyle Death Watch and Post Mortem

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Apr 5, 2010.

1. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winds blowing seem to indicate getting TT is going to be a good thing, seem it should be in a different "John Doyle does not always suck" thread.

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had an interesting long conversation last week with someone who is not an insider but has been on the Earthquakes periphery for years and knows the staff well. It reaffirmed my belief that we are not getting much value from JD. Also that -- TT notwithstanding -- our youth academy is nowhere near where it should be.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Confirming everything we have been saying all along. Much like the position of President, being a GM isn't a job you should be learning from scratch as you go.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wish him the best and a healthy recovery but while Don Garber is gone recovering from illness, maybe the league office will look to John Doyle to fill in for Don's absence? Either him or Time LAweakley....

5. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah I'm a little surprised he is getting that kind of money ... hopefully it means they are serious about him becoming a key cog in the team when his knee is fully healed.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Doyle, what happened to your great defender , Devante Dubose from your Mustang Soccer Academy , Bishop O'Dowd High School and Virginia Tech?

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know it's been oft discussed on this forum, but here is the fundamental JD problem.

Check it out.
    http://www.johndoylesoccercamps.com/about.html

See anything there about his current job with the Quakes? Mustang is a huge youth league and he's running a lot of programs for them. According to one uncorroborated source, his income from Mustang two years ago was $2.7mm.

According to my lunch source, when he was assistant coach for the Quakes under Dom, he never came to practices.

So he has this sinecure with our team, essentially isn't doing his job, there are rumors that he's got some connections that keep him from getting fired, but somebody needs to cut through that, get him out, and bring someone in who can do a real job.

IBleedTeal, QuietType, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Worth bringing back into the discussion.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Which guy in the organization was responsible for the famous "no grey hairs" hired mantra regarding Johnny Moore? Was that Wolff? Fischer? Alioto?

Moore poured all his energy into the Quakes. Instead we're stuck with Commander Part Time.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He and Dom were/are best friends so I'm sure he let him do whatever he wanted. Funny how Frank Yallop hired Dom and how Dom was Frank's assistant and basically it was Frank, Dom and then John and then John becomes Frank's boss. I'm sure another reason on why Frank and John probably didn't see eye to eye causing Frank to quit. Don't think I'd like taking orders form my former #3 guy at work, especially if he were being a jerk to deal with...

IBleedTeal and Beerking repped this.
  11. Das Moots

Das Moots Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, if this is so (and i wouldn't be surprised if it was) the situation is beyond horrible.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never went to practices? As assistant coach? That's not the impression I had at the time, but hell, it might be true. I need to know more about this.

As for JD never getting fired, it's clear that he has some level of protection, but everyone gets fired eventually.

go quakes!!

- Mark

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When Dom's dad died, John was in charge of the team I believe in NY and won. That was the only game I believe he ever coached a team.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My source was an insider during the Dom years. Whether his memory is flawed, I can't say, but he had a front row seat.

I understand that JD may have come to games then, but as you players and coaches know, the important stuff happens during the practices. You can't wait until the game to figure out your plan.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gotta give John credit though. He has been milking this wannabe GM thing going on 9 years now....:)

Beerking repped this.
  16. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually drafted him in the 4th round of the MLS super draft this year. He plays for the Quakes U-23's now.

falvo repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #542 JazzyJ, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    I went to a practice once back when Frank was coach the first time around and Dom and Doyle were assistant coaches. Dom was basically running the whole thing, while Frank watched closely and made encouraging comments like "nice idea...unlucky!". The only thing I heard Doyle say was to make a field goal joke when Ramiro skied a shot into the trees.

Anyway, does John Fisher's son play in Mustang Youth Soccer, by any chance?

QuietType repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well these comments are not at all encouraging....

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Did that happen to be a West Valley College practice by any chance? ;)

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep. That was a trip - no locker rooms or even bathrooms at the site :--). Other than that, nice setting...

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I snuck down to the maintenance building and used their bathroom.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore reiterating my initial thought of Frank not wanting to take orders from a guy who used to work below him. Don't know many people who would like the idea.
    You know out of all my years of watching soccer in this country, there isn't one game that goes by that someone doesn't obnoxiously yell out ,"three points" each time the ball goes high over the bar. After a while, its gets kind of annoying.

23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle keeps Kaval safe.
    Kaval keeps Doyle safe.

That's how it's been working and why it's going to take action from someone other than those two to get anything changed around here.

Beerking repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course both Lew and Kaval will have Doyle in their corner as they have no clue about the game other than being casual fans. I doubt either one ever played the sport other than maybe JR HS P.E. class....

Doyle will come up with his resume about playing in the Olympics, in the World Cup, in the MLS not to mention his academy. Of course they swallow everything he's got because they can't even come close to anything he has done in soccer. Whether you liked him as a player or not, he played at the highest level in this country and I don't think many GM's in the MLS can boast such a background.

25. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Will never happen. Sac hates JD with a passion and only play nice with him because MLS told them too.