John Anthony Brooks

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, May 12, 2011.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Who's to say Brooks would accept that call up? If he still has his eye on Die Mannschaft, I don't see him cap tying himself permanently to the U.S. at 20 y/o.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll be with the German U21 team. I was kind of thinking that it would become senior team call up or nothing for US. Words are nice, but can't blame him if this is his decision.

Fabian Johnson played for Germany's U21's. But Brooks coming back to the US afterwards would imply he failed to break through with the Germany senior team.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks coming to the US in the first place implied that he failed to break through to Germany's youth teams.

Real Corona repped this.
  5. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    " „Es wäre super, wenn ich wirklich eine Option für die U 21 wäre“, sagt Brooks zu Adrions Interesse. „Das freut mich natürlich.“"

"It would be great if I really was an option for the [German] U21", Brooks says to Adrions [German U21 coach] interest. "That naturally makes me happy".

That's about the NT relevant part from Brooks. His club, of course, would prefer him to play the Euro in Israel after the season. And Adrion has apparently at least notably taken an interest in him, which is more than can for example be said in the endless Chandler discussions (where Löw never expressed any interest).

Anyway, even if Brooks plays for our U21 that hardly means he's gone, since he can still change NT afterwards, just has to file the one- time switch. (I assume he has not actually played any FIFA sanctioned youth qualification matches for the US yet?).

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes no one can FORCE him to play for the US, that is in his control. But Klinsmann CAN call him up, for both the Hex and Gold Cup. Let's see if he rejects call ups to the full national team. If he does, good luck with Germany. If Klinsmann fails to even call him in, however.....

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to call him up to the senior USMNT before it's too late.

sacpasse87 repped this.
  8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, he said of course it's nice to be recognized by the German NT system. He never said that he would accept the call up. He was being polite and people here expect the worst due to past examples (like Subotic). On the other hand, there are quotes out there confirming that his priority is the U20 World Cup and he prefers the US nats system to the German teams

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also said he'd love to play for Germany, so.....

10. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I get why people might feel this way..but it would be a huge mistake for JK to ever allow a player to force his hand. If Brooks is actually ready to be called up, then and then should JK call him in.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Before or after he knew that Germany was interested in taking him to the U21 Euros? That's a very prestigious tournament, and I can tell you from my time living in Germany..............people pay a hell of a lot more attention to that there than the U20 World Cup.

Let's be reasonable here. Brooks was born in Germany, grew up in Germany, and has been developed entirely in the German football system. And Germany has been making overtures to him for a while now. And he's accepted those callups more recently than he's accepted US callups.

You bring up Subotic. Remember.........teenagers change their minds. Teal Bunbury changed his mind and started representing the US. Mix Diskerud changed his mind and started representing the US (he represented Norway at two different youth levels before representing the states). We can come up with many, many, many examples here where the US has benefited from this type os thing.

I'm sure Klinsmann, Ramos, and company have been in communication with Brooks. Don't think that this would be out of the blue for them. Klinsmann has called up Germany-based players like Morales and Boyd that hadn't gotten the playing time in Germany that Brooks has had.

Namdynamo repped this.
  12. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brooks is nominated for Germany's U20 game vs Switzerland. I guess that is good news for the USA, since Germany's U21 is playing their last test game in Israel this month too and he won't be nominated for this if he's in the U20 now. His chances of making the U21 Euro roster are therefore slim.

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=500111&no_cache=1

Winoman, sacpasse87 and m vann repped this.
  13. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of think this was the case all along, although he was called in for several games, he never actually played for the U21's. It's scary how good Germany is if this kid who starts in BL2 at 20 and is having great success can't even make their U21 team.

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure. if he is still nominated for the U21 he will take that one instead of the U20.

15. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see desperation as an advantage. Brooks is a German kid. He was born and raised in Germany. If there is any chance that he is good enough, then of course he is going to wait for Germany. The problem with this glut of Reisepass-Amis is that guys who aren't good enough to be of interest to Germany probably aren't the massive boost to the American talent pool that many U.S. fans want them to be. I guess I'm in the minority, but I just don't get all hot and bothered looking at these guys that could possibly suit for the U.S. They don't represent a long term solution to what ails the U.S. team and we aren't going to get any better by picking up other nations' scraps. MLS and the continued growth in numbers of young Americans playing for European clubs are what's going to help the U.S., not an occasional 2. BL CB who is technically eligible and willing once his first choice doesn't come calling.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but the point is that being called up to German U20s means he is very unlikely to be called up to German U21s.

17. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure that this is true. This is just speculation by people who do not understand that even though he has gone to some German U-20 camps that noone in Germany takes that youth team seriously. The U-21 is the one that is the indication of which way he is leaning. All that we have seen is an indication he wants to suit up for the US and some Crash Davis quotes in articles on a his club's website.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    ... and the German U20 is just a "we shouldn't forget these minor prospects, let's invite them for a friendly" team. The most useless team we have.

19. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he is really impatient, he still has a few years left he will feel any pressure to do anything that cap ties him to the U.S.

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But what about his chances of being involved in the 2015 U21's? According to Wiki, qualifying for Germany starts this September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship_qualification_Group_6

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Cornballer repped this.
  22. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still eligible for the 2015 U-21 Cycle, no?

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Anybody know what Brooks' relationship with his father is like? Are they still in touch? I had a prior theory (which I still subscribe to) that whether or not these players are still in touch/good communication with their American fathers does play a significant role in deciding what country they would like to play for.

Edit: This is what JAB said last November:
    "“The United States is still my first choice,” Brooks said. “Playing for the German team was O.K. but America was a lot better. My father would like me to play for the United States but he said it was my decision. I like Tab Ramos, I think he’s a good coach and will bring us to the World Cup next year. The U-20 World Cup next year is a top goal for me.”
    http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/brooks-finds-footing-at-hertha-berlin/

25. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Terrence Boyd has zero relationship with his dad, doesn't particularly care for him, and he not only plays for the US, he's on fire for the US.

Real Corona repped this.