John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Morales?

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't make the 18 man game roster.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to emphasize how poorly Hertha has been managed over the last decades. Financially, they were over ambitious. They wanted fast results and weren't willing to wait. In terms of brand management, they were even worse. They still struggle to appeal to fans. And finally, the economy in Berlin isn't quite as strong as other areas.

Also, Bayern is really the only Bundesliga team with an internationally competitive strong financials. Until a year ago, Dortmund really struggled. A lot of those unfamiliar with German football look at Dortmund these recent years and assume they have serious financial resources, however in reality it's a near miracle what they've done. They certainly have an opportunity to build on success, but even now they still can't come close to comparing with Bayern.

4. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Brooks looked very composed today, and really demonstrated a skillful left foot.
    Very nice, long, on the ground forward passes directly to the man that led to some chances for this team. Nice start!

The Ream analogy is a good one.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's like Tim Ream, but taller and faster.... lol

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks played 90 minutes in his pro debut in a 2-2 draw against SC Paderborn.

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can pass like Tim Ream, he is taller than Oguchi Onyewu and hes probably faster than both of them.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he won't get turned and manhandled like Ream has shown to be victim of at times (Not throwing him under the bus), If he can use his body even close to what the Gooch of old did, then we have an absolute stud....but that's a big IF

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Ream also played the EPL, where his strengths arent really going to shine. The Paraguay-USA match where the ball was on the ground- Ream was a Superstar. His distribution and defending were excellent that game.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Except for when he lost Cardozo on that corner...

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Corners are always difficult to defend. Several picks going on and unless it happens twice in a game getting beat on a corner kick happens to everybody.

12. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Ream is good, not great player. His main weaknesses is a lack of strength/toughness at times in 1v1 heading duels. This is killer (bad) in front of goal.. But he has opportunity to improve in next couple years. He is not slow, but not fast...so real quick guys will always be a problem.

He'll have to cover his weaknesses through good positioning, thinking ahead and commitment in tackle

Still learning (Spain forwards abused him on runs just like RM did the Galaxy last night),
    he can get better still.

Seems like Brooks has a higher ceiling, but still early too tell.

13. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you imagine a Brooks Gonzo CB pairing. We could call them the "twin towers"!

14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell Yeah!!

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you imagine not overhyping a player based on one game? We could call it "not Big Soccer".

16. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How am I over hyping? I was simply talking about their size! I said nothing about his play.

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yes!!! ussoccer has been delivered!!!!! He is gonna be a superstar and a rock in our backline for the next 16 years!

18. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he will single handedly win a WC for the USA!

19. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear the Dynamo were going to sign him but he declined saying he didn't deserve to play for such a prestigious club.

20. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like how people overhyped Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore and Juan Agudelo? :rolleyes:

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a solid grade?

23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, a little above average even. On the German 1-6 (school grade) scale, 1 is the best and 6 is the worst. And there is a not a lot of grade inflation in German schools/universities or in their soccer grades (except maybe for goalies).

24. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an article of Brooks done by Hertha's website, if someone who speaks German will like to fix the Google Translate errors please feel free to do so.

"Berlin is my city, my club Hertha"

A REAL HERTHA ANNOUNCED ON FRIDAY EVENING (03:08:12), HIS COMPETITIVE MATCH DEBUT IN THE OLYMPIC STADIUM. JOHN ANTHONY BROOKS, FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS, HERTHA DRESS, OFFERED A PROMISING PERFORMANCE IN HIS LIGADEÜT IN BLUE AND WHITE LIVING ROOM.

Berlin - Despite his 19 years, John Anthony Brooks an impressive appearance. The 1.93 m long central defender is ideal because of its stature and strong left foot to left center-back position. With the experienced Roman Hubnik is Hertha's number 25 is a stable structure in the Berlin defense, even if you had twice the same against Paderborn fetch the ball from its own network. His coach Brooks attested to a "good performance", but the half-Americans angry especially about the first goal."Maybe I would have to guess because the pass can Deniz Yilmaz. But I think that Paderborn, the situation has also just played well. "Despite the draw against the host of Paderborn his competitive debut in the Olympic stadium was" super feeling was, "Finally, he had been working toward this moment for a long time.

The nervousness was gone with the kick-off

Brooks is a speaker not know what good performance but not in the way. The 19-year-old is under new coach Jos Luhukay, the Brooks' actions in practice often praise remarkably, the first time in the senior squad to full advantage.Consequently, the young defender was against Juventus and Paderborn, the full distance in the square, although the competition is much more experienced.

"Sure, a little excited I was before the game already," admits Brooks, "but if the ball rolls then, is forgotten." Talent arouses interest, but that can cool the youngster. "Berlin is my city, here am I grew up. why Hertha is also my club. "A real Hertha indicated.

http://www.herthabsc.de/de/teams/brooks-story/page/978--45--.html

25. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside: Not that it matters too terribly much but my preference would be to just post the link and put in a translation request. I don't use Google translate, and I don't think it offers a whole lot in the threads. And if other posters want to, they can use it themselves.

Now to the translation:

"Berlin is my City, Hertha my Club"
    A real Herthaner made his professional debut in the Olympic Stadium on Friday evening. JAB, who has been donning Hertha's dress for five years, offered a very promising effort in his league debut in his blue and white living room.

Berlin - Despite being 19 years-old JAB is an imposing figure. The 6' 5" central defender is thanks to his size and his strong left foot predestined for the left central defender position. With the experienced Roman Hubnik, #25 forms a solid structure in the Berlin defense, even when the ball had to twice be gotten out of Berlin's own net in the game against Paderborn.
    His coach praised Brooks with a "good effort," but the German-American is nonetheless upset, especially about Paderborn's first goal. "I should have read that the pass was coming to Deniz Yilmaz. But I also think that Paderborn executed really well on that play." Despite the draw with the guests from Paderborn, his professional debut in the Olympic Stadium was a "super feeling." Indeed, he has been working toward this moment for some time.

The Nervousness Disappeared with the Opening Whistle
    Brooks is not loud/boisterous, but his doesn't let that get in the way of his good play. The 19 yo is coming into his own under Trainer Jos Luhukay, who often and conspicuously praises Brooks in practices. As a result, the young defender has gone the distance both against Juventus and Paderborn even with the opposition being much more experienced.
    "Of course I was worked up before the game," Brooks admits, "but when the ball rolls all that is forgotten." With talent comes desire/ambition, but that is lost on the youngster. "Berlin is my city. This is where I grew up and that is why Hertha is my club." That is, a real Herthaner.