John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha have actually be the worst team in the Rückrunde (not just one of the worst).

That said, the problem isn't primarily defense. They've conceded 22 goals since the winter break, 12 goals more than the best defensive team (Schalke, 10 goals conceded) and 4 goals less than the worst defensive team (Wolfsburg, 26 goals conceded). It's not great, but it's not terrible. However they've only scored 11 goals since the winter break, which is the lowest tally in the league. The next lowest are Bremen (12) and Hamburg (13), while the highest are obviously Bayern (38) and Hoffenheim (30).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, Brooks is being a mindless dolt right now.

His decision to go and get this bloody tattoo is senseless. Hell, the medical trainers have to put a special cream on his back to prevent the damn thing from becoming infected before training. Given the struggles of the team, it's simply immature. Regardless of whether or not the problems lie in the defense. If you're being singled out by your trainer for lapses in judgement on the pitch, why on earth would you go and create even more consternation off of it? I don't know what Brooks was expecting Luhukay to think. Hope he grows out of this.

My day has been made, though, because I just read "...die Nase voll" again. Makes me miss Germany so much lol.

3. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    It's a headscratcher. Even if he goes to the WC in the summer, there are two mandatory weeks of Holiday for Players that participate after that. Do it then and nobody gives a ****.

Deeneaus and Winoman repped this.
  4. Dartos

Dartos New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    The article pretty much describes why Brooks is in Luhukay's dog house. 2/3 of it are spend discussing how a coach has to deal with the usual ups and downs of a season, sa injuries, and then there's the unexpected like a player getting a tattoo don't won't allow him to compete particularly at a time playing time was there for the begging. It goes on to say that Brooks pretty much is pissing away his chance at the World Cup.

5. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I quite like those elbow tats he has, seems he must have got the idea from Dempsey though as Deuce has the same thing.

6. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his elbow tattoos are pretty cool and unique.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given all of the fuss over this back tattoo, you'd think JAB joined the Sons of Anarchy, Berlin chapter.

m vann and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mascherano must be somewhere around 5'8" and he's a beast in the air and in the tackle.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannavaro in Italy, was about the same size, IIRC. Not too many CBs better than him, IMHO.

LouisianaViking07/09 and TabLalas repped this.
  10. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bundesliga clubs demand high professionalism from its players, especially when it comes to the body of the player. Some clubs even include a clause which forbids new tattoos during the season. Sometimes you do have to wonder what the hell is going on in the mind of those players. There would have been enough time for him to do that during the summer break. I'm aware that this might be a German attitude thing, but I expect a player who earns Millions of Euros to act professionally and at least ask his club for permission if he so desperately plans to have a new tattoo in the middle of the season that will have an effect on his training condition.

11. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tattoo story is so bizarre. It just seems ridiculous from all standpoints.

After a really bright start to the season, Brooks got hurt, played poorly on return, played poorly for the nats, got back into the team only to have this tattoo issue come up. That's not a great way to finish the season.

Can't imagine him being on the WC team. He needs to concentrate on winning the starting role at Hertha over the summer.

12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is infuriating to me.

I realize that he is just a kid but when you think about how many players in the US would give anything to be on the final 23, and here he is just pissing it away.

Between this crap and Chandlers constant flaking out on us, it puts a bit of a damper on the idea of how disciplined and serious a player growing up in German soccer is expected to be.

14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    sorry, but what a jackass. this is something out of the brek shea playbook.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I eluded to earlier, I am still bemused that a tattoo can cause missed trainings and matches unless the artist seriously butchered his skin. I still contend the issue is less the tattoo and more of something else. I can assume discipline and his form. The tattoo is the easy scapegoat. I cannot condone or condemn a tattoo during the season. It's JAB's choice and his body. Nor can I condone or condemn his manager for his reaction and subsequent rumored punishment. After all, he is the manager; the man in charge. The bottom line and point I am trying to make is that there is a rift between JAB and the manager and for whatever reason it's spilling into the public. That's not good for both player and coach. The ball is in JAB's court to rectify the situation, though. I am curious to see how JAB comes out of this.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think the manager has had enough. Tattoo is the scapegoat like m vann said.

17. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  18. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hobo repped this.
  19. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  20. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They Quote an "expert" here who disagrees with you:
    http://www.bz-berlin.de/sport/herth...-luhukay-im-tattoo-streit-article1829980.html

21. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Hertha starting with Langkamp and Hosogai today at CB.

22. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Ah no, seems like a late injury to poor old Lustenberger during warmup forces Hertha to use Brooks anyway. Big chance for him

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I just saw Brooks on the screen and was like wait....?
    Hope he can have a solid outing.

24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    JAB goes a full 90 is a 0-0 vs. Augsburg.

25. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Looks like Lustenberger could be done for the season and his World Cup hopes are in doubt.
    "It does not look good . , It is probably not a sprain , but a hamstring ," said Hertha coach Jos Luhukay after the game.
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...traum-wohl-geplatzt.html#omrss_team_herthabsc

As for JAB's performance these are the only tweets I could find really. It should also be noted he almost scored off a corner kick:
    American Soccer Now ‏@ThisIsASN 1h
    An uneventful 90 minutes for #usmnt hopeful @j_brooks25 is a massive step in the right direction. @HerthaBSC #nonewsgoodnews

Doug McIntyre ‏@DougMacESPN 2h
    John Brooks solid for Hertha today in 1st Bundesliga start since 4/6. Young CB still in mix for next month’s #usmnt camp.

The Twelfth Yank ‏@twelfthyank 2h
    90' for Brooks today. A rather dull affair between Hertha and Augsburg ends 0-0. Not many chances on either side. #USMNT