John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree on this.

If he's deserving (I think he is), call him up for the Gold Cup this summer.

2. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks did not make the 18 today for Germany. Shawn Parker was a second half subsititue.

3. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best news I've heard all day.

4. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks starts today for Hertha against Union Berlin. Going to watch the second half and hopefully provide some insight. Also Alfredo made the bench!

Brooks connected on a header off a free kick but headed it off target.

Was Brooks responsible for the Union goal? Somewhat, basically a Union attacker rifled a low shot at the Hertha keeper who parried it straight up like 8 yards out. Brooks and another Berlin defender basically ran into each other thus failing to clear the dangerous ball and then it was fired home by the Union striker.

0-1 at half to Union Berlin.

2nd half report coming up.

edcrocker, Tom Collingsworth and Sup Bro repped this.
  5. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    48th minute - Union do a short corner and cross it in and the striker towers over a group of Hertha players (Ramos, N'Djeng) to send it home. Brooks was not at fault wasn't his man. 2-0 Union.

59th minute - Brook's partner gives him a pass with very little space and Brooks literally fakes the guy out with a nice dribble move to gain space and pass out to midfield.

72nd minute - Thunderous header from Ramos off a corner. 2-1 now.

85th minute - Ronny to the rescue as he scores a fantastic free kick from about 25 yards out. 2-2.

The 2nd half from the 50th minute on has been basically all Hertha, very little for Brooks and the defense to do.

Quick analysis. Brooks seems to be very comfortable with the ball at his feet and even did some dribbling forward a couple of times which is nice to see from such a big guy. He wins a fair share of his headers just based on size, could maybe work on his heading technique a bit. He is very impressive to say the least. CAP HIM NOW.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's US international Alfredo, pal! ;)

7. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at my Stammkneipe last week, which is also a Hertha supports bar. I asked some of the die-hard fans how they rate Brooks. Every single one of them rated him very high. Let's hope he continues to play well and gets a call up this summer.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Same
    same sentence at my bar in berlin "coma bar"

11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sooner the US cap ties this guy, the better. He's got the potential to be the best CB they've ever had but I'm sure the better he gets the more he'll lean towards Germany. That's the problem with relying on other countries' systems and hoping dual nationals pick the US.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.

Brooks hasn't committed to either side now because he doesn't have to.

But if Germany is interested in him for the Euro U21 championships, then the time is coming this summer for him to choose:

Either Germany at the Euro 21's or the US at the U20 World Cup (or Gold Cup).

When I lived in Germany, the Euro U21's were considered quite a prestigious tournament. I can't remember the Germans caring much about the U20 World Cup. I don't believe the unified Germany has even finished in the top 4 in that competition.

[When i lived in Germany they once had both East and West Germany make the semifinals! That must have been mid 80's. 87?]

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the history lesson. It actually adds less to the conversation than my repitition of a previous post.

15. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he chooses the U21's of Germany, we'd still have a chance to bring him back to the U.S. up until he's represented the senior side in an official capacity, correct?

aw072760 repped this.
  16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, Joel Matip is only a year older than Brooks. He's played 93 games for Schalke and was a more highly touted product than JAB ever was within the German youth system. He was eligible for both Cameroon and Germany but chose to play for Cameroon.

Even if Brooks is good enough to make the Germany U21 Euro roster, the chance of him ever playing for the senior team is probably less than 10%. Even if he plays every match of the 1-Bundesliga season next year, there's a 0% chance he makes the 2014 German world cup squad.

For the most part, the guys that are German NT material are already starting for Champions League or Europa League teams by the time they're 19/20/21 years old (although defenders tend to develop slightly later). You'll hear people say "defense is their weak spot," but even so most of their U21 defenders start in the Bundesliga.

So JAB's ultimate decision is more than likely (1) play in possibly 3 world cups with the USA and be a constant contributor or (2) make maybe 1 world cup roster with Germany as a fringe player. Playing the U21 Euro isn't really much of an indicator of which route he'll choose.

aw072760, Jumbalaya and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  17. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My my you act like I slapped you.

I was sharing some info I read earlier in the thread.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  18. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I'm not familiar with twitter... but if JAB has one could someone post this onto it? :)

19. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    just a tad over the 140 character limit :)

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Right, because we know exactly how he's going to develop...

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know enough. To contribute to a team like Germany, you need to be one of the best 10-20 players at your position in he world. I just don't think Brooks will get there.

Guys like Hummels and Badstuber were already starting for top notch Bundesliga teams at Brooks' age. Based on watching him, I don't think Brooks is ready for the 1-Bundesliga yet, much less the Champions League.

He's got a lot of ground to make up at this point. It's certainly not impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

sakibomb523 and aw072760 repped this.
  22. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Can't help but image we call him up and try and cap tie him in qualifying and he delivers what Chandler and Williams did against Hondrus a big WTF !!! followed by days of BS posters losing their minds

aw072760 repped this.
  23. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god someone has some common sense on here. People don't realize where the guys who start for Germany currently were when they were JAB's age, or just exactly how young, and how many top notch players are behind the starters for the full NT in Germany.

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not to say Brooks isn't going to be an excellent player. I think he will, but the fact of the matter is Brooks could become the best CB the US has ever had and still not be good enough for Germany.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, to play for Germany he has to be one of the best players in the world. Just comparing him to the current national teamers on Germany, he is quite a bit behind of where they were at his age, and there are players his age who are a lot farther ahead of him. People think because he is tearing up BL2 and is probably able to play for the USMNT currently, that he is close to being able to play for the German team.