Johan Cruyff matches and goals scored

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 10, 2011.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting too that youngster Scifo was edged out by verteran Cruyff as the top player of the low countries. Impossible to know whether their votes came from Brits or people from their home nations or elsewhere that visited Britain or could buy the magazine elsewhere.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well that's why we called CLASS !

Like end of Paulista 2009, an OLD and FAT Ronaldo (Corinthian) gave a good lesson to the young stars in Neymar and Ganso (Santos) a good lesson and he went on winning the MVP of that tournament

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I had a look in the actual edition and I cannot find how many people from different countries voted. In more recent editions they noted how many different countries voted (for example 40) or even the breakdown of countries (for example 89% of the voters were from the UK). But I did not see it for 1984.

It is however possible to compare the votes for the players with the manager.

Belgian/Dutch players getting votes were:

Morten Olsen 2.3% (not Belgian but playing for Anderlecht)
    Johan Cruijff 1.1%
    Enzo Scifo 0.9%

And the managers (only Belgian managers listed):

Van Himst 0.9%
    Thys 0.8%

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwL4ev1QI1K6SW9VR3BpRmVYLU0/edit?pli=1

Of course, it is not always the case either that people from some country tend to vote for a player from the very same country (for example: Cruijff was booed by PSV-fans in 1983-84 and certainly not very popular over there for a number of years, same for Amsterdam in that year). There is both a push and pull factor at work here.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

The Sports Illustrated article sums it up well (that is a good read about the Cosmos and Cruijff his brief stay there), but past weekend I came across an old World Soccer magazine, the November 1978 issue with Cruijff on the cover. I was tempted to buy it and so I did. The shop had not many 'WS' issues (obviously) and I know that around that time (1970s and early 80s) they had generally a team on the cover rather than a person, but November 1978 was one of the rare exceptions. Thus that it had a person on the cover - rather than a team as with 95% of the issues at that era - tempted me to do so. Interestingly, this UK magazines reported about the Cosmos game against Chelsea, as well as general observations. This is what they wrote (I focus on what is said about players):

Cover:
    [​IMG]

"

Cosmos turn on the Style

For those who went into misguided raptures about that untidy affair in Copenhagen between Denmark and England, it was perhaps unfortunate that Cruyff, Beckenbauer and the Cosmos should come to Stamford Bridge only six days later to show how the game can be played; if you are a great footballer. Claims for the supremacy of Keegan, splendidly though he played in Copenhagen, assertions of Simonsen's brilliance, seemed palpably misplaced, as Cruyff gyrated and Beckenbauer commanded. As for Butch Wilkins, figuring Chelsea's tattered, McKenzie-less, ranks, he was put utterly in the shade by both these remarkable men.

What I have written about the Cosmos before has never been ecstatic, and I remain skeptical both about them and the NASL which (with the occasional 9-2 defeat) they dominate. Yet we must thank them for what they showed us [...].

Who could forget Cruyff's astonishing sleight of foot in the first half when, boxed in on the left hand goal line, he suddenly brought one foot across and behind the other, and spun past a legitimately bewildered defender? Who can forget Beckenbauer's magisterial run half the length of the field, after half-time, a reminder of the extraordinary player at his best, and the more remarkable for the fact that Achilles tendon had latterly prevented him from playing more than half a game?
    I remember, too, a delightful passage in the first half between Beckenbauer and Chinaglia, dropping deep, under pressure, passed the ball backwards to Beckenbauer. Beckenbauer, with infinite calm, a man with super abundant time on his hands, simply waited for Chinaglia to move forward again, and almost disdainfully rolled a short, perfect ball into his path.
    Eddie Firmani, Cosmos' beleaguered manager, said afterwards that Beckenbauer had been making many runs such as the one we saw at Chelsea from centre midfield, but the truth is that Beckenbauer hates playing there, has said that if he is made still to do so, he will seek another club, where he can operate as sweeper. Not easy, when Carlos Alberto has had such a splendid year for the club in that position [...].

Tired, disaffected, disconsolate players were packed of to Europe [for a tour], thrown into the lions' den of such as Bayern Munich, where they conceded seven goals, and VFB Stuttgart, where they conceded another six. They might not have done very well even against this feeble Chelsea team had Cruyff and Steve Hunt not been called to the colours. For Steve Hunt, indeed, much must be forgiven the Cosmos. If they have taken so much for world football at large, here is a case emphatically of their giving something back. The fair haired Hunt looked an excellent player at Chelsea, not at all unworthy to figure in such distinguished company, well able to respond to the promptings of Cruyff, taking up positions on the left, sometimes deep, often advanced, and using the ball with great precision. It was his good, long centre, indeed - Bonetti should have saved it - which made Cosmos' goal for another English winger, Dennis Tueart.
    [...]

The loss of the 1978 World Cup of two such stars as Cruyff and Beckenbauer was cruelly underlined by their display at Stamford Bridge. There was simply no one in Argentina to touch them, and their respective team suffered dreadfully from their absence. Though there was reason to believe that Argentina were going to win the tournament by hook or by crook, it is hard to imagine their defeating a Dutch team that included Cruyff; the more so as they had such enormous trouble in defeating one without him.
    As for Beckenbauer, he would have transformed a West German team which eventually slunk out of the competition, beaten by Austria in most embarrassing circumstances, negative to a disgraceful degree against Italy when, as Franco Causio so aptly said, they "built the Berlin Wall in Argentina." Even Mario Kempes, the acknowledged hero of the competition, does not remotely exist on the same plane as Beckenbauer and Cruyff.
    [...]

And so say all of us. Players of the quality of Cruyff and Beckenbauer, players, on a somewhat less elevated plane, of the quality of Rossi, enhance football and our own enjoyment of it. The Tendis and Macelas of the game are a menace not only to their victims, but ultimately to us all.
    That Rossi is one of those rare beings who turn the other cheek, being quite incapable of retaliating in kind, makes thuggery of such as Macela the more abominable. Alas, those who meekly and nobly put up with maltreatment - as Rossi does, and as Pelé didn't - tend to find that justice is not of this world.

"

And here again the link to the Sports Illustrated article as cross reference:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094167/1/index.htm

PDG1978 repped this.
  5. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #1880 Vegan10, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    I found some highlights of this friendly encounter in Morocco:

In addition, while La Vanguardia did not specify how Cruyff performed, Mundo Deportivo briefly mentioned that the "international 'ace' responded with some isolated interventions of his stamp, although it did not prodigal in excess."

Cruyff played the entire 90 minutes.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Apparently Alex Ferguson noted this in his biography.
    [​IMG]

LOL

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As noted, Shoot had like 'WS' also attention for the rare sight of him playing at Cosmos after his official retirement.

On twitter I found the full page, nut sure whether it is readable, but fair to show the full page (the excerpt in quoted post above is readable).
    [​IMG]

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I thought Twitter only for text msg??

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1884 PuckVanHeel, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Sorry for late response but found out today that rtve.es has revealed a lot of highlights - sort of. Because many 70s newsreels did not always show all goals even, let alone all assists (the May 1976 El Clasico highlights did not show Cruyff his assist, it only mentions his final ball). But nevertheless interesting and it has a lot. An example of a Barcelona - Real Madrid game on 28 December 1975 (recognizable by the #9 on his shirt).
    http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1719/1465460/
    http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/card/fc-barcelona-reial-madrid-2-1-1975-76

Maybe also useful for the Di Stefano thread (I noticed this online rtve archive features more Real Madrid material, with more games covered in some detail).

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Not sure you ever post this: Cruijff's best XI of all time selon him (as a COACH point of view, not as a player)

News / Primera Liga

Cruyff names Best XI in history, without Messi
    by TomConn | Posted on Friday, November 23rd, 2012

Barcelona legend, Johan Cruyff recently named what he believes to be the best starting XI in football history, which did not include current Barcelona phenom, Leo Messi but did include former Barcelona defensive midfielder and manager, Pep Guardiola.

The ‘Cruyff starting XI’ is as follows:

Goalkeeper: Lev Yashin (Dynamo Moscow, Soviet Union)

Defenders: Carlos Alberto (Santos, Brazil), Franz Beckenbauer (Bayern Munich, West Germany), Ruud Krol (Ajax, Holland)

Midfielders: Alfredo di Stefano (Real Madrid, Spain), Pep Guardiola (Barcelona, Spain), Bobby Charlton (Manchester United, England), Piet Keizer (Ajax, Holland)

Forwards: Mane Garrincha (Botafogo, Brazil), Pele (Santos, Brazil) and Diego Maradona (Napoli, Argentina).

Formation 3 2 2 3 (old WM) to 3 4 3 (modern)

-- Garrincha ---- Pele ------- Maradona-----
    -----------------Di Stefano --------------------
    --------P.Kiezer ------------ B Charlton-------
    ----------------P Guardiola--------------------
    ---R Krol ---- Beckenbauer --- C.Alberto----
    -----------------Lev Yashin -------------------

Coach: J. Cruijff

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I found a highlight I did not see before on youtube and I made three compilations, for fun:

European Cup 1968/1969 (first round) against West German champions Nuremberg, helped to prepare one goal and scores one after a dribble

Inter Cities Fairs Cup 1970 (semi-final) against Arsenal

Euro 1976 group stage game against Italy (November 1974)

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The farewell game - first retirement - at November 1978. The infamous 0:8 loss against Bayern Munich. This 'swansong' is also fine material to show.

13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks.

14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    And it has come in handy, since I was able to track down the next match of Madrid with Di Stefano, which I couldn't find on YouTube. :thumbsup:

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For who is interested, I created some new videos.

[Be aware: I mixed French with English commentary]

Of the 1969 World Cup qualification game only very brief 2 minutes highlights are saved (they have now a search engine for archive material). In the game against Poland they had the possibility to qualify for 1970WC if they achieved at least a draw in Warsaw. This feeble team almost succeeded, but they missed a penalty for the 2:2 equaliser in the final minutes. The only goal of the Dutch was assisted by Cruijff though. Maybe a pity that he only played in two qualification games.

In the same year (1969) the Dutch team played a game against England.

And a year (1970) later again a game against England.
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/england-v-holland/query/cruyff

In the brief Dutch highlights version (only one minute - the archive does seem to have the full match saved on a dusty VHS tape) I found a scene of Cruijff that is not included in the British Pathe version. So I uploaded that one too, it is very brief though.

[the shot was by Wim Jansen by the way]

JamesBH11 repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I made some new compilations. Recently this surfaced as well (goal scored by Cruyff).

Vs Independiente (1972)

Vs Trnava (1969)

Vs Den Haag (1972 Cup final) - last goal missing (goal by Keizer, cross and assist by Cruyff)

Vs Leeds (1975)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18vmxb_cryffleedsaway75_sport
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18vhvg_cruyffvsleeds75_sport
    Not his best games or phase in his career (from a form/fitness level aspect) but nevertheless still some good danger-creating moments. Neeskens played well in both games, of the Barcelona players.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  17. Winston2000

Winston2000 New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Love your stuff Puck. What would you say was Cruyff's best game?

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah great stuffs ... I might need to learn how to make "clips" LOL

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1894 PuckVanHeel, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for your friendly words.

I think that is hard to answer; also for far more recent players it will be hard to fingerpoint at the best games of a player. Obviously there are some marquee games like him vs Juventus in 1973, Argentina in 1974 and England in 1977 but is not always the same as 'best game'. It is easier to say where he was absolute rubbish I guess.
    I'll post some more highlights/videos in the future though. Him vs Juventus in 1973 is a good one and him vs Austria in 1974 (friendly match) is what I'm thinking about.

------

It is funny that at the start of his managerial tenure at Barca many were critical of his approaches. Even after winning the Cup Winners Cup in his first season (1988-89 against Sampdoria), there had been a few highly critical articles in 'world soccer'. In the October 1989 issue it reports about doubts; he allegedly fielded many players out of position in the perception of conventional critics (most notoriously Lineker but many other players as well), and his tactical system was doubted.

"'Cruyff his system is a catastrophe', says Atletico Madrid boss Javier Clemente. 'The man is a third division coach. His methods just aren't first division standards, and he gets by it because he's bought an awful lot of quality players.'"

"[D]uring the pre-season doubts were growing about the validity of a system based on a three-man defence and a goalkeeper obliged to act as sweeper."

Interesting to see those things back.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Alternative version with different scenes. That one had not the outside the boot cross for example but it does have other ones.

Return leg

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    He forgot Cruijff's vision:
    - If you hold the balls more than opponents (possession) you have more chance to shoot
    - If you don;t shoot you can't score
    - If you don;t score, you can not win

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    New ones of the past weeks.

Real Madrid 1973 (home)

Real Madrid 1973 (away)

Friendly against Austria 1974 (home, Feijenoord stadium in Rotterdam)

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Two new ones I made some time ago.

[only first half]

Also interesting is a dairy that goalkeeper Jan Jongbloed made during the 1974 World Cup. For a publication he took note of what happened every day.
    http://www.vn.nl/Archief/Samenlevin...per-Het-WK-voetbal-1974-van-Jan-Jongbloed.htm

I'll note the references to Cruijff (the subject of the thread). The comments in between brackets are my own remarks. Dairy starts at 28 May 1974.

"
    Tuesday 28 May
    Pim (van de Meent, trainer of FC Amsterdam) took me to Zeist [headquarters of the football association]. Shook some hands and drunk coffee. A conversation with Johan [Cruijff] and Van Hanegem (who is still not happy with Coerver).

[...]

Thursday 30 May
    [...] I strained a muscle in my thigh. There are lot of 'minor' injuries over here [quotation marks are Jongbloed his own emphasis]. Cruijff has a fixated knee. Neeskens has a cold. We're all very tired. Seastum-NED XI on four o'clock: 12-1 [win]. Cruijff doesn't play. Neeskens neither. I played the second half.[...]

Friday 30 May
    [...] Injury Cruijff improved. [...]

Saturday 1 June
    [...] Game against Kickers Offenbach. Same line-up as in first half against Noordwijk, without Cruijff (Geels). Not great. The center does not fit. Little refinements in the attacks.[...]

Wednesday 5 June
    In the morning after the dinner a little walk. On the field a tactical conversation took place. Especially about pressing-football again. After the training during the walk back Cruijff predicted sensational changes in the line-up against Romania. Will see what is right of this. [...]

Friday 7 June
    [...] The situation is such that the football association has a yearly budget deficit of 1,6 million Guilders [~720000 euro]. [...] If we become world champion, we will earn 25000 Guilders [~10000 euro] pre-tax. [...] The plan arose to claim the 45% the clubs receive. Thus the clubs receive nothing and this money to our premiums. Johan is now discussing the consequences with Michels. Have to wait. [...]

Monday 17 June
    [...] After the fishing we ate, while they had forgotten to wake Cruijff, who had stayed asleep and walked with a bad mood downstairs. Johan is in this sense a real captain, all has to run well-oiled, he re-adjusts everything, which among some boys provokes secret resistance. [...]

Friday 21 June
    [...] It seems the virus is gone. There are at least no new casualties. During the run of the day Johan (Cruijff) came upstairs to say that after qualification for the second round the wives could arrive at Sunday evening and Monday. [...]

Saturday 22 June
    [...] At 15:30 a massage, because my legs started to hurt on these extremely hard pitches. In the massageroom (a large hotel room decorated with all equipment from Zeist) a nice chat with Pleun, Johan Cruijff and Wim van Hanegem. About the kids, the wives and household issues. [...]

Sunday 23 June
    [...] Netherlands - Bulgaria. It is good and hot weather. The nerves in the group increases. Sometimes I see Johan Cruijff staring in front of him for many minutes, according to me thinking through the game. Johan is even so before the game very nervous. [...]
    Before the game the shoes and hands were inspected, by a referee from Australia. A cruel man, who rapidly sent Johan inside for new shoes, because of the studs. Johan was in the dressing room for about four minutes and returned with the same type of studs. [...]

Thursday 26 June
    [...] During the dinner I had a conversation with Johan Cruijff about Ajax and he also counseled me about money etc. [...]

Thursday 4 July
    [...] Before agreeing [with the interview], I turned to Cruijff and asked whether this is true. Because in the morning I heard the rumor that all interviews for newspapers and television had to be paid. Everything was alright though. [...]

Friday 5 July
    [...] In the afternoon we packed out luggage, which would be driven towards Zeist. After the dinner suddenly a few players, among them Cruijff, Haan, Keizer, Michels and myself were talking about the playing style of Germany, the marking of Cruijff etc. became a subject. My idea is that Schön will not change the team after Poland. Michels is forced to change one position, because of Renenbrink his injury. I think he will take René van de Kerkhof. [...]

Sunday 7 July
    [...] We had a talk, where Michels assumed that Vogts would play on Cruijff and Schwarzenbeck right-back. Every German player had a profile. It took the most time, because, as Michels said, the way Germany plays is known, and they know their opponents too. [...]

24. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you made it wrong.
    garincha rightwinger.
    piet keizer leftwinger
    maradona left midfield
    thats how cruyff intended it. its also the msot logical

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think Puck linked it once, and Maradona was the AM with Di Stefano and Charlton as box to box 'side midfielders' (maybe Charlton on the left side). With the rest as you say.