Joe Corona at Club Tijuana (Xolos)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi is teased by the Italians for being an American as well.

2. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that Mexicans would never live in the U.S. right?

3. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that by teasing they're not meaning that people burn American flags outside of his window at night. I would imagine that the German-speakers on our national team probably get playful ribbing as well, just like every single foreigner I've played with has, and just like I have when I've played overseas and been the Yank or, in some places, the Shank.

4. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to bet that he also lives in SD.

So although he might play in Mexico its not like he has no ties to the US and doesn't go there frequently.

6. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesnt matter I know tons of people who were born and live here in the US. But Love EL Tri and hate the USMNT. Or dont even care about them.

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not arguing that fact. My post with in response to Sandon Mibut's.

Basically him playing in TJ is different than someone playing in Pachuca or Monterrey. Meaning he can go back and forth freely so its not like playing in Mexico should be a deciding factor in who he chooses.

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corona went 65 minutes in a 2-1 loss to Cruz Azul

9. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    During the game the announcers mentioned that Tena, the assistant to Chepo was at the game for the sole purpose of watching Corona.

They also mentioned that Martin Vazquez had been in TJ the previous week to see Corona.

There is definitely a possibility for a call-up to Mexico soon for Corona.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks, he was born here.

11. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    That's funny coming from a US soccer fan considering how many players born outside the US you guys field.

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it bothers me that these guys slip through the cracks. But all of those players had an American parent, so they're American.

Looking at FIFA.com Mexico's next two fixtures are:
    @Poland 9/2/11
    vs Chile 9/4/11

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=mex/fixturesresults/gender=m/index.html

13. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, if that's your reasoning then there is definitely a possibility for a call-up to USA soon for Corona. Martin Vasquez plus Klinsmann's willingness to give Mexican-Americans a shot means there's at least a good amount of interest in him from our side.

14. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    uh, whats up with these kids allowing themselves to be disrespected? Show them who's boss and rep Red,white and blue.

15. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    I haven't really seen him play but I was going by what the announcers where saying...apparently he's been impressive and they believe he's one to keep an eye on for the future.

If he does get a call he would be called in to play the on Pan American squad.

Oh of course , no ones denying that. He'll get called up soon.

16. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Just some playful teasing, no need to get all loud and proud buddy.

17. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    playful teasing= your second class Italian or Mexican or w/e compared to us "real" mexican or w/e. i would take that, play born in USA on the radio and score a goal for usa in world cup.

18. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Seems like those kids have thicker skin than most of the keyboard warriors around here and let their play on the field do the talking.

19. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    oh please. save the crap. let be honest suiting up for another country before you give yours a chance first is Weak Sauce.

20. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    He's a citizen of both countries. He has a choice,

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Not weak sauce at all. Players should play for whoever they want. They put in the effort and training, it's their prerogative where they wanna play.

I hope Mexico caps Joe Benny soon.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    El Salvador is going to swoop in and leave both the Mexican and American Bigsoccer cheering sections befuddled. ;)

23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    hehe

Being purposefully dense about the fact that most of these kids can play for two or three different nations and on top of that ignoring the sole fact that it comes down to personal decision/preference is weak sauce.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not to be a language weenie, but there's a definite possibility of almost anything.

25. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US scouts were watching him play, I'd say there are pretty good odds he'll get a callup for the USMNT vs Costa Rica.

That said, is this guy really that good that Mexico wants him? Unlike us, Mexico actually has great forwards performing at top clubs, and great forwards in the pipeline. You'd think they wouldn't bother with a guy with US and Salvadoran citizenship that is most likely to play for someone else eventually. Mexico has so much talent coming up that they have the luxury of being picky.