Joe Corona at Club Tijuana (Xolos)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Joe Corona to Mexico?

So Corona and Club TJ advanced to the Clausura final of the Mexican second tier with a 2-0 win over Leon this weekend. Joe Benny went 90 in the win.

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/secciones.aspx?s=927

(Marco Vidal - or someone claiming to be him! :eek: - went the final 19 for Leon.)

If I'm understanding things correctly, this means that TJ now has two chances at promotion. If they win the final, which is against Irapuato, they'll be automatically promoted because they will have won both the Apertura and Clausura and they'll be no need for a playoff between the champions since they'll be one and the same.

But if Tijuana loses, they'll face off again against Irapuato in the promotion playoff.

2. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Joe Corona to Mexico? YES

MODS: time for an update on this thread title

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Joe Corona to Mexico? YES

Yessir, it is.

4. pipilesunidos

pipilesunidos Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    he is a soccer baller, when looking at the highlights, he is always involved on the key plays. El Salvador is following his footsteps closely so he can play in the U-23 in the upcoming olimpic qualifiers.

5. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    El Salvador? Has he chosen who he'll play for yet?

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Corona has spent any time in a national team set-up, but to be honest the chances that he'll be good enough to play for the US or Mexico are slim.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Gotta be too soon to say. He's 20 years old and doing very well where he is.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, hopefully he'll demonstrate his quality in the Primera next year.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    JBC went 90 Wednesday, earning a yellow, in the first leg of the final, which ended 1-1 in TJ.

Club Tijuana now travels to Irapuato for the second leg. If they win, they're both champs and promoted. If they lose, then it's another home-and-home with Irapuato to decide who gets the promotion spot.

Here's a nice writeup in English from the San Diego Tribune and that includes both a quote from Joe Benny and a nice jab at Irapuato's Cuanthemoc Blanco.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/may/11/xolos-find-enough-power-earn-tie/

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Azteca America has picked up the U.S. TV rights to the 2nd Leg on Saturday at 7:55pm Eastern/4:55pm Pacific. Free-to-air broadcast in many cities. Also available via DIRECTV and DISH Network

For those without access to Azteca America, TVC Deportes of Mexico is streamed live worldwide at USTREAM.tv

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he play tonight?:confused:

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some how I didnt like his answer at the end f the interview. He would play for either Mexico or U.S. I am Mexican American but there is not doubt in my mind which country I love the most. I bleed Red, White, and Blue. Coming from a guy who spent 4 years in Mexico.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't like when Omar Gonzalez said that.:mad: I'm brown and I'm gonna raise my kids to love US Soccer.

16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said he might be eligible for El Salvador. Is that true or just Mexico and US?

BTW...I'm with you guys...I could have been eligible for 2 other countries but I bleed USA.

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's such a personal issue though. I respect your stance and like you I LOVE my country.

However, my parents are mostly Jamaican and I can't imagine that if I had been born there and spent multiple years of my child hood there like my mother did, that I wouldn't consider playing for them if the USSF wasn't interested.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The first leg of the playoff, AT Irapuato, ended 0-0 yesterday. The second leg is in TJ Saturday afternoon and the winner gets promoted, the loser gets a set of steak knives.

Here's a writeup in English from the San Diego Union Tribune, which has been covering Los Xolos lately, in part because of their proximity to San Diego and in part because of Joe Benny.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/may/18/tijuana-survives-0-0-tie-irapuato-promotion-playof/

The above article doesn't mention JBC and this box score seems to imply he didn't even dress.

http://www.soccerway.com/matches/20...-tijuana-xoloitzcuintles-de-caliente/1110665/

Anyone know if he picked up a knock? Hard to imagine he'd go from starting most of the season, including the playoffs the past couple of weeks, to suddenly not even making the 18.

http://www.soccerway.com/matches/20...-tijuana-xoloitzcuintles-de-caliente/1110665/

19. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Love Zeigler, my favorite sports writer. Such an unbiased soccer sports writer.

20. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I understand that, but he was born and raised here in the USA. If i was born in Mexico but spent most my life here in the U.S. than I would debate which country to represent.

21. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I dispise that azzhole. He is a euro wanker who does not like the US or the CONCACAF .

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a eurosnob but he does like the US and Mexico.

Not too bad of a writer...one of the better ones at the UT.

So anyone have any info on if Joe is eligible for El Salvador?

That post from a couple pages back has me confused.

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His mother is apparently Salvadoran. Here are a couple articles that discuss his NT eligibility:

http://www.elsalvadorfc.com/2011-05-09-salvadoreno-en-final-ascenso-azteca

http://www.oncetitular.com/nuevo/noticia.php?id_noticia=10571

24. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He bashed my buddies soccer bar in San Diego. The official US soccer bar in San Diego.

25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Briens right? When did he do that?

Granted I have been out of SD for 2 years so I might have missed it.