News: JK's Pre-Russia Conference Call

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 2, 2012.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jozy situation is not a Gomez vs. Jozy thing. Many fans seem to want to turn it into one. Gomez deserves to be number 1, many have a problem leaving Jozy off the roster entirely when he's red hot with his club. Boyd is not as good as Jozy. Boyd has a worst first touch than Jozy. It is disgusting that people get satisfaction from Jozy not being on the team. We have to have him for the Hex and the World Cup. He and Klinsmann must settle their differences.

It's not all Jozy's fault and it's not all Klinsmann's, each share blame. Jozy not realizing his role may differ from club to international team. Klinsmann providng little service for ALL forwards, including Gomez, by playing 3dmids, one at RW, a deep-lying CM at LW. Klinsmann isn't going to tailor the system around to benefit Jozy. One because his ego is too big/prideful and two, two because Jozy needs to sacrifice and put in the extra work off the ball. Pressing when he needs to, not jogging to win balls. He must humble himself and work towards the team goal. That being said... Klinsmann needs to utilize him in some manner eventually. Ignoring him completely is childish.

Findley, Clark, Edu at 2010 WC has nothing to do with Jozy and Klinsmann at the moment.

Marko72 repped this.
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Strawman argument is made of straw.

3. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may indeed be true. But do you have any info that this is a spat between players as opposed to a dust up between a player and his coach? Did I miss something that came out in the media about Jozy vs his Nat's teammates?

4. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    explain to me what exactly is a defensive mid in today's game. Every single player today goes up and back constantly. Those that move best, have better condition, can cover the field both ways generally deserve a spot, those that can't, don't. That also goes for offensive players. Those who lose the ball immediately become defensive forwards as does the offensive mid and the entire team. It is the transition that Altidore does not get and thus does not fit into the scheme of things. So he sits on the bench gets his wittle ego bruised and lashes out at the coach who then has to sit on him for discipline's sake. We then say Klinsmann is handling it wrong. I have coached guys who believe the adoration shown Altidore and as they begin to believe that dribble they turn into a discipline problem. On my team ,such a player sits and gets sent packing. He is a detriment on the field and in the locker room. The team is never built around one person. By definition it is a team game and takes 11 people all working for one result. Keep the ball out of your own net and put it in the opponents box as often as possible. It is not for a person to throw up his hands in apparent frustration at the incompetence of his team-mates or at the ref because his flop did not buy him a free-kick. It takes him out of the game and the team is instantly down to 10 men. Never mind that the ball bounces off his feet if not in a place where he can run on to it!!
    All in all from a team standpoint they are better without than with.....

Statman, West Coast Futbol and Libero4 repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wouldn't say Klinsmann is handling the situation in the wrong manner, but obviously he needed to and has recalibrated his approach. Seems to me JK had been simply exhorting Jozy through the media to improve his fitness and overall approach to preparing for matches. Between the baiting from sections of the media and the online contingent who have sour grapes over Klinsmann's appointment and the sniping from Altidore's coach and from easy access to social media things got blown up more than they needed to.

Looks like JK is keeping it low key this time. Mountain out of a molehill, really.

Statman repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Where is it claimed there was a spat between players?

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's what Nutmeg was hinting at. It's the first I've heard of it as well.

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy himself alluded to it in his Wahl interview:

When I came right out and asked Altidore -- are you and Klinsmann on the same page? -- he answered straight up. "I'm the student here," Altidore said. "I'm the player and I'm learning always. It doesn't matter if I don't understand. I have to get on the same page as the boss and all the senior players, not the other way around. I'm not a guy who can walk into the team and say, 'Guys, adjust to me.' That's not my mindset. I'm trying to get on the same page as them, and until I do that I'm sure I won't be playing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/10/08/jozy-altidore-usa-world-cup/index.html#ixzz2BArNAJZB

JK also mentioned “Also certain things that went on through the May-June camp”

Statman, ImaPuppy and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  9. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I am glad this JK/Jozy will have a solution, because this spat is not a no-win situation, such as the Sampson v Harkes drama of '98.

As others have noted above, it is JK's job to manage the squad. JK is going to be judged on his results independat of whether or not Jozy plays. It is JK's call.

On a personal preference, I want to see Jozy on the pitch. way ahead of Herc. But that is MY preference.

10. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I am glad this JK/Jozy will have a solution, because this spat is not a no-win situation, such as the Sampson v Harkes drama of '98.

As others have noted above, it is JK's job to manage the squad. JK is going to be judged on his results independat of whether or not Jozy plays. It is JK's call.

On a personal preference, I want to see Jozy on the pitch. way ahead of Herc. But that is MY preference.

11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean after Jurgen had his interview published Jozy admitted he has to get on the same page?

12. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would never happen on this message board, so this must be wrong.

:)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  13. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would never happen on this message board, so this must be wrong.

:)

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bradley approach,interestingly enough.

TBF-the adult approach, as opposed to tweeting how much your NT coach sucks then trying to pull it down like you never said it.

Statman repped this.
  15. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy wasn't it!?

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/10/08/jozy-altidore-usa-world-cup/index.html#ixzz2BHubMT6s

He didn't understand at Villareal either. I've watched some AZ this term as well the first half of today's game. The ball simply gets played into the feet of the center forward much more often than at Villareal and with the US. At the latter the cf runs more motion and interchange with the ball being played into space. The prime goal scoring opportunity at Guatemala that wasn't because Jozy failed to run into space onto the ball is perhaps a good example of this.

He's improved tactically since that match, so the Russia match would be a good time to gauge his progress within the US' offensive scheme.

17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only five mistakes in those three words. ;)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BigSoccer is like a Mexican soap: a lot of episodes over something that should have been small, but keeps getting bigger and bigger due to reciprocated hysterical reactions. So you have two or three weeks gone over something as silly as a woman having seen her husband chatting with another woman at the store.

Jozy is another option at forward. He's scored some very good goals for the USA. His form with the NT has dipped some of late. He'll be back. Jorge and him will talk and make sure things get cleared up. No big drama. Herc is also molding into a real asset. At this point, the USA has the options to 'stimulate' Jozy into playing better for the team.

That should be good news.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet it doesn't have red lips and big cleavage.

20. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not since Aimer left

russ repped this.