News: JK's Pre-Russia Conference Call

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 2, 2012.

1. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon, Boyd, & Herc do what I am referring to, especially Gordon & Boyd. The original post that I responded to seemed to ask that of him and many do as well, I guess even Jurgen... Otherwise, I dont know how Jozy would have made more of an impact in the opportunities he was given considering the circumstances..

2. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the "open style" that AZ play, according to you, exactly what Juergen wants to play? Isn't that what he said when he took the job? He wants attractive, possessive, proactive play. Yet he doesn't employ the striker that is playing that every week and being quite successful at it? As for walking around aimlessly, what game were you watching where Jozy did this?

The game where he didn't play well was in Jamaica. News flash, we all looked like crap. People freaked out over the coach not calling in his best striker for two games where we had to get results to get into the hex.

3. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That original paragraph, in my eyes, has more to do with strength o' schedule and possibly just having better talent all around.

4. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, none of this players that you mention "constantly sprint at the 4 defenders when they have the ball." Each will pick their time to press the other team and force them into certain lanes.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This year has always been the easiest year in the cycle going back to 2000.

2000 - Arena lost 2 matches, Russia in Moscow and Costa Rica away in qualifying when the US hadn't qualified.
    2004 - Arena lost 1 match the entire year, Netherlands in Amsterdam. Easy schedule otherwise.
    2008 - Bradley lost 3 matches; England in London, Spain in Santander and Trinidad away in qualifying for the first time - but the US had already qualified.
    2012 - Klinsmann has lost 2 matches - Brazil in Washington DC, and Jamaica away in qualifying for the first time - the US hadn't qualified.

The schedule and performance this year is about par for the course.

tab5g repped this.
  6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear lord.. my tongue was in my cheek. Do you take everything literally? The point is, Gordon & Boyd particularly, do not stop. They constantly hustle and hassle the opposing side. Jozy doesnt do that. Thats the grand scheme of my point.

7. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in a discussion where one is trying to make or defend a point, yes, your choice of words do matter. As for your overall point, we'll have to agree to disagree because I see no great difference in the amount of "hustling" that Gordon and Boyd do relative to what Jozy has done.

8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then im guessing you dont watch those 3 week in & week out. Boyd's & Gordon's workrate is what currently has them on the national team. Theyre work rate transcends their skill & its what makes them so successful as players who simply dont have the skill. Granted, Boyd will eventually have the skill & Gordon wont..

9. fdfd

fdfd Member

May 31, 2012
    This, Altidore supporters have a high tolerance for lack of quality play, as they have seen it with him the last year with the USMNT and still speak highly of him. I'm sure Klinsmann is tired of talking about him. I think the message is sent and JK probably will call him to warm the bench against Russia, and hopefully he can eventually be eased into contributing for this team

Statman repped this.
  10. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm reminded of this...

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/ne...ann-revolution-take-time-jeff-carlisle-soccer

gsryank and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  11. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    ^^By the way, I'm not saying JK is correct if this is what he's thinking about Jozy. I'm just pointing out that this might be what he is attempting to do.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  12. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    altidore? what is it about him that makes him the most talented striker? what is seen as quality, skill, technique, positioning, speed????? Hustle, work, ethic?? Other than the penalty how many goals in the run-up? He has looked tired and lazy and flops like a carp if he doesn't get his way...he may have athleticism but it certainly hasn't shown in his game. As far as only the A&B game being his only bad game, is a huge stretch.......he hasn't played well for two years!!! Look at the films objectively and tell me honestly where and when he last had a GOOD game.....What really gets me, there is a world class player and a select group of coaches all making recommendations as to whom to select with first hand and observed performance levels and the option to let Altidore off the list is labeled German arrogance and incompetence?? One has to wonder!

Statman repped this.
  13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's had a whole bunch of good ones this season.

14. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the national team? NO, not from my observations nor my opinion!

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No, under a better and more hard-assed Dutch coach Gertjan Verbeek, at a higher level than any of our pure forwards regularly play, using a number of tools. Scoring from the run of play using both feet, his head, speed, combinations, or on the dribble. There isn't a pure forward in the pool with his tools, and this by a considerable margin.

And he's young. This shouldn't even be a discussion, really.

russ and Mr Martin repped this.
  16. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, this should not be a discussion. I have said before, potential does nothing in a game, it is the willingness to use it. A truculent, egotistical young player, like a prima dona knows it all or were we never teenagers....? The evaluation of pure striker is of course your opinion, mine happens to be different.

lmorin and Statman repped this.
  17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The bigger primadonna at this point seems to be our manager, who is frankly more replaceable than our striker.

18. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right because our current crop of strikers are doing so poorly right now when wearing a US jersey.

vaquero28 repped this.
  19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    They're not doing great.

20. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get it, a 20-something has more wisdom than a 40-something??? Especially one with multinational and world Cup success? Age is wasted on the Aged!

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Let's see:

Buddle goal against Slovenia
    Gomez goal against Brazil
    Gomez goal against Antigua
    Gomez goal against Jamaica
    Johnson goal against Antigua
    Johnson goal against Antigua

That's an impressive record for strikers in the Klinsmann era all right. ;)

22. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every one of them is doing better than Jozy has done for at least two years!!!!! You cannot deny that,
    it is in black and white and in HD living color.

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Why don't you post Altidore's record for comparison?

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Altidore starts:
    Costa Rica, Belgium, Honduras, Ecuador, France, Slovenia, Italy, Jamaica away

Gomez starts:
    Brazil, Canada, Antigua, Guatemala, Mexico, Jamaica, Jamaica, Antigua, Guatemala

For Gomez, a lack of bunkering, easier opposition and more often semi-intelligent lineup selections in the other parts of the field by Klinsmann. I wonder who performs better - it will take a genius to figure this one out. ;)

25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the negative Altidore posters: What is it that you want from Altidore? He scored plenty under Bradley and showed he could perform well for the US under him. Sure.. you complained about his work ethic back then too. However, I find this to cancel out the "he doesnt do it on the national team" argument bc he simply has. He hasnt been in an appropriate situation thus far with Klinsmann to perform well though. In fact, he actually used to play better for country than club and now that he has been playing well for his club and is a much improved player you think he wont perform for the US? He will shine if JK puts him in the right situation. Ever since the first time Jurgen fought AZ to get Altidore into camp, Klinsmann has failed to present a good opportunity for Altidore.