Jim Crawford at Shelbourne

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by cleat/less, Jul 27, 2005.

1. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    if memory serves, he's a yank, or at least yanks-abroad thinks so. he played today in a champions league qualifier. does anyone have the scoop on him? i.e. is he a yank, what position does he play, how'd he end up at shelbourne of ireland?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Crawford is about 30, a midfielder (I think) who was born in Chicago but moved back to Ireland when he was about four.

I remember reading an article about him in Soccer America in 1995 where Steve Sampson was trying to get him to play for the US but he opted for Ireland. At the time he was with Newcastle (I think, again) but I don't think he played much for them.

I don't know where he spent his time between Toon and where he is now or how much he ever ended up playing for Ireland, but I don't think it was much.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he was born there, but moved to Ireland at a very young age.

He signed for Reading in March 1998, from Newcastle reserves, one of the "magnificent seven" signed by new manager Tommy Burns on deadline day (a football league record) in an effort to stop the club from being relegated. In his first match he (and the rest of the seven) set another record as Reading notched up a club record seventh successive defeat - the club's worst run in its 127 year history. Eight games later that record had been equalled. He also played a full part in a club record 15 consecutive away defeats.
    In short, if he ever writes his memoirs, Mr Crawford will draw a discrete veil over his time with Reading.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks, Richard.

I did a web search and found this on Crawford going from Reading to Shelbourne a few years ago:
    http://www.kickinmagazine.ie/crawford582000.htm

Jimmy Crawford has turned his back on England and has returned to the Eircom League to resurrect his career. Crawford, who was recently released by Reading, was on trial at Cardiff City but that did not work out so he took up an offer from League champions Shelbourne to return to Ireland.

The 27-year-old Chicago-born midfielder began his career with Bohemians before making a dream move to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle United in 1995 for £75,000. His progression looked assured at St. James' Gate but then Keegan did away with the club's reserve team which left him out in the cold.

He made three substitute appearances and spent loan spells at Rotherham and Dundee United before he finally got away from Newcastle by joining Tommy Burns' Reading for £50,000 in 1998. His start at Reading was impressive but persistent injuries soon ruined any chance he had of holding down a first-team place.

Burns was sacked and Jimmy was left to prove himself all over again to a new manager. Things didn't work out and now he is looking forward to the challenge ahead in Ireland.

Crawford said: "After I signed for Shels I spent some time dwelling on my career in England and it seemed to consist of nothing but injuries. I had three groin operations and bad knees, which looked serious for a while. The last two years were a write-off.

"I didn't do myself justice and that hurts. People will say Jim Crawford was a failure, but I just have to get on with it and I'm looking forward to the challenge."

The midfielder has no hard feelings about his time in England.

He said: "Kenny Dalglish and Keegan were brilliant to me at Newcastle. They increased my knowledge of the game tenfold and that will stand to me. Then I had the opportunity to go to Reading and Tommy Burns gave me every support there, but the injuries came and that was that.

"The full-time side of the game affected me. I was told to rest my knees but I couldn't afford to do that. My understanding of the game has changed. I'm more knowledgeable about when to make runs and when not to, but my role is still the same - to get stuck in. If that was taken away from me I'd be finished."

Also, he was born May 5, 1973 according to this site, which would make him 32.
    http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eire/2004/prem/shelb.htm

Still trying to find info on how much, if any, he played for Ireland.

5. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    thanks for the info.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He came on for an injured Stuart Byrne against Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday.