Ji Dong-Won @ Sunderland A.F.C./Augsburg 2012-2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Call me crazy, but I believe that JDW is the best finisher on the KNT right now. Goddamn it, he just needs some consistent playing time...

Mudang, Sons of Thunder and YLbowman repped this.
  2. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

3. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Okay, maybe PCY is still better. But JDW is the someone whom I can see scoring at a moment's notice, even if he's dropped cold into the middle of a match.

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Because of 1 goal? Pretty out of form before that due to lack of pt. I sincerely have my doubts he could have scored the type of goals PJY had against the Swiss/Japanese.

5. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And call me crazy, but I find JDW to be an overrated prospect who plays like he's 5'1 even though he's 6 ft+ and very average technical skills.

jolim24601 repped this.
  6. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i think KSW is a better finisher he just has only started 1 match for the KNT though

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I think at his age, he's just as promising as LDG once was but much more cerebral.

dudedudedude repped this.
  8. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    He was our most dangerous player against GB and Brazil. Dropped in cold against two of the best teams that we faced and he went right after them.

9. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think JDW deserves credit for what zdrav has mentioned. We all had doubts about him since he had mainly scored against Asian Cup competition. But look at the kind of goal he scored against GB and the other shots he had. He has a nose for goal which PCY seems to lack at times. If he could develop with consistent time I think he would be a solid option for '14.

10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's gotta learn how to hold up play. Too slow to not have that in his arsenal

11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    He's actually not that bad at it. And that's more a function of his strength, which will continue to improve as he gains more upper body mass.

12. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats my biggest problem with him. his mind can be very creative but many times he fails to act fast enough.

13. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    For his size and fairly good body control, its pretty poor. He's young and can learn but right now, its a problem esp in consideration as sub for PCY NT-wise given the better wingers.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Luckily his brain is faster than SHM or NTH.

I do think sometimes he makes the right decision but tries to be too precise. Othertimes, he's just not aggressive enough. And as hodori mentioned, sometimes he's just too weak.

15. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    part of it is just experience i suppose. but it was most prevalent when we were on a counter and had numbers.

16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    We need to keep in mind his lack of playing time, which affected his form and confidence on the ball. Even KNT veterans like PJS were not immune to the effects of a lack of PT...

He just needs playing time. This situation reminds me a bit of KSY's first 5 months in Scotland before WC10. I believe with playing time, most of these issues will be addressed/remedied.

17. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree that playing time is of upmost importance. I think he has the talent to succeed. He plays with intelligence and has shown that he can contribute without the ball. And he's good at winning headers. He's still young and raw so hopefully he can still grow leaps and bounds.

18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Tbh, based on the most recent KNT results, Lee Keun Ho might arguably be the best finisher on the KNT as of right now...

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You are a big JDW fan and I could see that. I imagine he could become quite the footballer given the opportunity.

And against the turtling defenses of the AFC, his skillset is pretty handy.

But not sure that style-wise he would be starting 11 material for KNT against a good side.

20. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Not to take anything away from him but you posted "best finisher right now" and as dangerous as he was, ultimately only one found the back of the net. I'm taking it literally w/out any regard to future potential.

Against GB, he had 3 or 4 very good chances to score but I suppose you can say that about the rest of our forwards. Maybe I would've felt differently if the penalty was called against Brazil for getting a boot to the head inside the 18. Therefore as much as he is out of form I think PJY is the better 'finisher' now.

Hyok repped this.
  21. YLbowman

YLbowman Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    statistics wise but if u look at the goals themselves they were very easy chances

22. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think you're crazy but it's hard to argue with the way he tries. Point in case PJS. His talent ceiling is probably lower than say KSY but at least he hit it unlike most people.

23. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    At least he's got better positional awareness than SHM. ;)

I don't think it's fair to compare JDW to PCY since they represent two very different footballing styles. Nevertheless, JDW compliments his teammates very well as we saw against GB and Brazil. LKH might be the best finisher (as of late) on the KNT but at times it's frustrating watching him out of sync with the rest of his teammates (linked up well with KBK though against Qatar).

CKH needs to start gelling JDW into place and phasing old man LDG out.

I have great hopes for JDW and thank G-d he has time to develop ... still sour about his minimal playing time under MON ...

24. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Yep. Because we advanced, people forget those misses. The header wide with the keeper out of the picture was the worst. I'm cautiously optimistic on Ji.

25. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Take it for what it is, since it's from the mirror... But if this happens, JDW and his agent will need to have a very long strategy session next week (if they haven't already given MON's signings splurge).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...erland-transfers-clint-dempsey-is-now-1271078