Jesse Marsch leaving Montreal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by PhillyMLS, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, it's not as though Montreal doesn't have young player or good players. They do. But this group doesn't really say "long-term core that's above average in MLS" to me.

There's a lot of work this offseason for Montreal to lay the groundwork for a real core once the ancient Italians fade away.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I bet there are some teams that weren't planning on a coaching change that may reassess with Marsch available.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Montrealites and their owner don't realize is that almost every single imported Euro star complains about the excessive travel in MLS and how it wears on the body. Or they stop traveling to away games.

I know a Union player with above-average footskills who sounds like he would fit in with Montreal's new direction.

Unak78 repped this.
  4. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Montreal want the inmates to run the asylum?

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Jesse's main difference wasn't necessarily style of play but not wanting old, ineffective, expensive Italian imports to be the direction they went.

Hachiko, El Naranja, ZipSix and 4 others repped this.
  6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd guess a little of both, so basically ownership didn't do a good job figuring out what sort of coach they were bringing in, and Marsch didn't do a good job evaluating what sort of meddling ownership group he was signing on to work for.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we think about it, this is what Toronto has perfected, and what Vancouver has already aped. It is good to see that Canadians show such solidarity.

Unak78, Jasonma and DoctorD repped this.
  8. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Seriously, Lamborghini's haven't been in style since the 80's

Hachiko, Howard the Drake and Unak78 repped this.
  9. froustball

froustball New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    In the same kind of "out of context sentence", how many time US wins the world cup?

10. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Let's not go there, we canadian can't even qualify for the world cup. We can't even qualify for the final round of the Concacaf qualifying tournament.

I still find that there is too much support for Marsch here on this board. I guess Americans are used to his style of physical soccer.

The feeling in Montreal is that we had a team good enough to make the playoff and that Marsch made a lot of decisions that cost us points. (Ferrari even said today, without blaming marsch, that they should of made the playoff with the talent they have).

Now it is fair to blame the front office for hiring this guy in the first place. But you also can't blame them from correcting the situation now rather than sticking with it even though they don't agree with this style of football for the players we have.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to TFC or Vancouver yet. TFC has never been good and Vancouver were doing great and decided to reshape almost their entire roster mid-season. Until I see a major roster turnover in Montreal, this is a different situation.

brandonesque and Unak78 repped this.
  11. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Ding ding ding. Terrible roster decisions with the foreign additions. Adding 35+ year olds like Nesta, Di Vaio, and Corradi are not how you build a long-term competitive squad in this league.

I would imagine Marsch took issue with bringing them back as opposed to turning to younger players who could be part of the longer term process for Montreal as any reasonable coach would want.

Montreal fans supporting this move are crazy. Toronto FC part deux.

12. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    A lot of montreal fans were complaining about marsch from the beginning of the season...

I also don't see why marsch wouldn't want Di Vaio, the only guy on the team that can create scoring chances on a regular basis back next year.

But hey, I'm sure all you guys that saw maybe 2-3 impact games this year know what coach is best for this team.....

The impact will make the playoff next year with or without Marsch. Saputo is a passionate guy and will do what is necessary to improve this team on a yearly basis unlike Toronto's maple leaf entertainment.

13. froustball

froustball New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    The point was that he have fun to associate our team to old italians, when we have 3 , but the sounders have a majority of americains players... and between the two nations in the world of soccer one is clearly ahead of the other.

I just wanted to show him that the strategy in Montreal is maybe not so stupid...

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will come down to who replaces Marsch now. If that person still doesn't make the playoffs next year even though his style is the same as ownership/players, then this will be seen as a TFC like move.

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe we should wait to criticize the club for blowing things up until they actually blow things up.

I don't see how the employment of aging ex Serie A players in the first year of the team is blocking a young core. These types of guys can be used to generate some interest while steadying the team as younger players are worked in.

Now, if this sort of thing continues and they never develop any roster continuity as a result, ok, fire away...

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Apparently it's being seen as a TFC-like move now.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be the first to start the Marsch to Chivas rumor.

C'mon. You guys know it's going to happen.

Hachiko, bunge and Via_Chicago repped this.
  18. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I actually would love to see him go to TFC.

I think it would fit with what Mariner wants (if he would stay as part of the FO) and it would be huge for the Toronto-Montreal rivalry.

19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In the Canadian coaching carousel, it's Rennie who has the longest current tenure. Given past history if I were him I would be looking over my shoulder. Anyone know what the longest Canadian MLS coaching tenure has been so far?

20. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    ...Why? If the situation is as bad as claimed, why not just wait for him to start imploding? I don't exactly get the sense that a replacement has been lined up here either, could be wrong though.

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just that it's hard to recall an MLS team that had a good season after replacing a successful coach. And for a first year team, Montreal had a very successful season.

22. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I understand that and like I said earlier, you always wish to have a stable coach. But if both side could already see that it would not work out in the long run, isn't it better for both Marsch and the organisation to part ways now? I think the organisation is trying to get a coach that fit their mentality and what they are doing with the academy so that the talent we grow fit our team. And the academy is not playing Marsch's style of football right now and probably won't in the future.

But I guess we will only know the result of this move next season.

23. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aron Winter. Yes, you're reading that correctly.

Hachiko, ji_shuheng, Sounders78 and 3 others repped this.
  24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  25. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club: