News: Jersey sponsorship a top priority for Hinchey, Rapids

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 17, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/17/jersey-sponsorship-top-priority-hinchey-rapids

Bullet points:

*Jersey sponsor deal was in place including a handshake agreement last summer before the company pulled out at the last minute.
    *Jersey sponsor the ultimate commercial goal this year
    *Other main focus is increasing attendance
    *Hinchey's personal focus is being more visible through Twitter and social media
    *Hinchey will be working with his old club Derby County, Arsenal, and other clubs to establish better relationships.

2. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also a point of note from that article, look for the club to more aggresively court the largely untapped hispanic population.

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Where is Yogi Berra when you need him.

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Last year - after the second home game of the season ... the deal got yanked.:(

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    any idea who and why?

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Just reading tea leaves but I suspect it was one of the sponsors that became a smaller sponsor like Coors or Kia, etc. but I'm with you, I sure would like to know who it was.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the phrasing of the article it appears there was another deal midseason that fell apart as well.

8. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope it's not Coors. That company's politics are such that I'd have real trouble wearing a Rapids jersey with that name on it.

FC Denver repped this.
  9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    never told - never asked.

10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to know the more things change the more they stay the same.

So the guy who failed to get it done last year as Marketing director now says its a priority of his as President.

I just hope at least Oscar can end the double speak at the coach level.

11. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres 20 thousand in commerce city alone get spanish players and will have to remodel the stadium to fit 20 k +

i think we need a sponser like hienekien but will prob go for something local.

12. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what exactly are the company's politics that sting so badly in Florida?

13. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, I know that Coors and the Coors family have been involved with a lot of far-right activities such as union busting and homophobic campaigns (which "sting" anywhere), especially through their connection with the Castle Rock Foundation. If anyone has information to the contrary, though, I'd be glad to know about it.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Chicago gets another sweet Jersey sponsor deal. We get squat as MLS champions. Attendance figures, we are slightly ahead of Fire 14,838 to 14,274.

I understand that regional markets are different but man, I fail to understand how we are missing out on that money and hopefully DP it will pay for.

15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit, I think the new ad looks pretty sweet on the jersey.

And on your second point... Chicago is MUCH bigger than Denver.

16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I came from there. However, attendance wise we are even or you could say since Chicago is 3 to 5 times bigger, Rapids draw better.

My Nephews and their Dads are big into soccer but don't go or watch chicago fire games, they prefer watching EPL games on TV. When I asked their club team who has gone to Fire game they had no clue who they were.

They have no problems getting sponsors, we have never had one...

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    'There's no lack of companies interested, it's finding the right company with the right deal,' Plush said." - January 29, 2009

"Plush: We are essentially back starting the process again. The world has changed pretty dramatically for everyone. We are repositioning our proposition. It’s going well but we are kind of at square one again. We can move very quickly. Beginning of the 2011 season is likely." - August 2, 2010

“'We’ve had a lot of meetings and we are very bullish on where that is going to land,' [Plush] said. 'There is a lot of confidence we will get closure in the near future.'” - December 21, 2010

"'Our objective has always been this year, and I know it will be a 2011 result,' [Hinchey] said. 'I don’t see this taking us past the regular season and I would like to think it will be before the end of July.'" June 1, 2011.

"We have new business coming through, we are ahead of last year in new season tickets, we are making great progress but, ultimately, we have to get the shirt deal done. It’s on me and it is an absolute focus for me in 2012.” - Hinchey, January 17, 2012

I'd love it if this topic is never brought up or discussed again until ink is drying on the motherloving bottom line. Though thanks to GoRapids for the insider info - I'd rather read that than politician-style promises from the FO.

18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2009? This dead horse has been getting clubbed since early 2007.

Shirt sponsor discussions are always dumb anyway. All that happens is people speculate based on absolutely no facts, and then fantasize about what logo looks prettiest across the chest.

19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I would have gone further back, but I couldn't find any articles with quotes from Plush/other FO members.

Most of the dead horse clubbing has been from posters here. The FO just chooses to lead us on with a soundbite every 6 months.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, an FO member told me they had something lined up at MLS Cup 2006.

21. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point i'd settle for even a local sponser.

were like the only team in the mls with out one.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC, Dallas, and Columbus also don't have one. Not sure if expansion Montreal has one or not. San Jose's has expired as well.

And no sponsor >>>>>>>> MLM options like Xango, Herbalife, and Amway.

23. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Its free money to put something across your kit. At this point I'd be happy with Fascinations Adult Store if they could afford it...

24. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is sponsored by BMO, same sponsor that TFC has. Still hoping for Coors, Southwest or Frontier as a sponsor personally.:)

25. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is BMO (A bank I think?)

Come on support groups, lets become the Jersey sponsor!