Jermaine Jones - lethal or lame in the attack?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheNearPost, Aug 29, 2012.

1. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones has been getting good minutes with Schalke, including a win @ Arsenal, and I think it's likely JK will bring him in for Russia. I'm debating on who gets the start if Bradley and Williams are both brought in as well. Do you start all 3? Or just two of the three? I think that depends on who else is available in midfield, i.e. Zusi. If no Zusi, I say JK might get away with all three starting, but I'm not sure.

------------------------Bradley------------------------
    -----------Jones-----------------------Williams

2. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I'd expect JK to play all three.

------------Williams------------
    ----Bradley---------Jones------

I think it's the right call too. Just need Donovan and one other to add the real width and it'd be a solid and balanced midfield. MAYBE Gatt for the 2nd half against Russia.

MadRHatter repped this.
  3. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think JK has called-off the Edu/Beckerman experiment in the meantime. We very well could see Edu in Russia considering that Bradley, Jones, or Williams may not be available. But Edu didn't even dress in Stoke's last match. I'm beginning to think Edu's move to Stoke might be a brief one.

Before these last qualifiers, I remember seeing a nice goal by Jones at Shalke. I wonder if Jones' offensive capabilities open up more with European competition...

4. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    1. I loved home movies.

2. Ya, I don't see Edu staying there too long. No reason to sit on the bench.

3. Jones is much more lethal than what he presents himself to be for the usmnt. I'm not sure what the disconnect in his play for club and country are but it's quite noticeable. Although, I think it's a bit exaggerated by some folks. JJ recently came back from injury and in the games I've watched he's earned partial game minutes. He started yesterday but in a non-league game. He's more of a dmid/6 for Schalke but once in a while he gets to play more up field. He's a extremely talented player on both sides of the ball but he's better suited as a 6. I think he just rather play as an 8 and I think Jurgen rather have him there too.

John McGuirk repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His impact has been inconsistent with the team. He looked poor playing outside in 4231 against Guatemala. He was quite effective playing centrally in 4141 against Brazil and Scotland. Did rather well in the diamond/triangle used against Jamaica.

There's enough differentiation in skillset and tendency such that Williams, Jones, and Bradley can play together in a diamond/triangle or 4141.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree and I hope klinsmann realizes he can and should play them centrally. Jones his best when he can break plays up but still has the freedom to make that streaking run he likes to do

7. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I have tried to read many of the posts here so that I would not seem redundant and to get some perspective of fellow BSers. But in fact I have not seen posts that indicate that others share my impression of Jones's role, which is:

Looking only at what Jones does individually for the attack does not tell the story of how and where he should be included. The issue to me is not so much how well/poorly he passes, carries, or finishes in the attack (decent, poorly, inconsistently; in that order). The issue is how his impulsive positioning and/or attacking ambition causes our midfield to lose shape -- especially when partnered with Bradley.

Jones's movement and vision do not mesh with MB's at all, to my eyes (even back in the days of BB's "empty bucket"). I do not think these two should be paired in central midfield again.

If there are those (including possibly JK and MV) who want to increase Jones's attacking role, do it in games where Mikey is not there. If Bradley IS in the midfield, please please give me anyone else to help hold things together. (Even in a "pure 6" role behind Bradley, I don't want him out there.) They simply don't combine well and given the choice I'll put my chips behind MB.

Jones certainly has enough qualities to remain in the top half of our midfield player pool. But in my opinion his combination of attributes (including his fiery nature) make him valuable depth, not build-into-the-line-up quality.

chalaron repped this.
  8. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I'd appreciate a die-hard Schalke fan to analyze what Jones does well with FC 04, with whom he works best in midfield there and why, and, ultimately to the question that interests me the most, how he could best pair with our (for me) indispensable Mikey in the Nats midfield. Adding also that Williams looks like a damn solid 6 at the moment.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    You are calling for LongDuckDong.

10. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the new BS interface you can literally call LongDuckDong.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I don't think there is a need to actually call him though, as I think he's commented in the thread already. Though Jones has improved this season since he last posted, I'm curious to see his reasons why he thinks so.

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  12. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You couldn't just let me have my moment of technological wonderment, could you?

dwsmith1972 and schrutebuck repped this.
  13. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed he has. If I'm restating correctly, Jones plays/has played both 6 and 8 for Schalke. Given that JJ is rounding into good form right now, I wonder what goes through Klinsmann and staff's mind re what instructions to give to/how best to play both Mike and Jermaine.
    (and, of course, considering Williams' obvious worth)

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are paired as the only 2 CMs then MB will play the #6 and JJ will play the #8 which is how JK has played them in that scenario, see v Canada.

On JJ v MB, JJ is considered the more dynamic transition attacker and defender. Schalke plays JJ forward of Neu and JK plays JJ forward of MB for precisely that reason.

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I'll weigh in :D

Jones has played almost entirely as a #8 this season. On offense, he's mostly been playing quick, 1/2 touch passes in tight space. When he has room to go forward, he certainly doesn't hesitate. He's had some sensational dribbling runs, especially in the second half when games tend to open up. At times, he really can be the orchestrator on the squad.

On defense, he tracks back quickly and plays as a ball winner. Neustadter, the #6, takes up space and marks. Schalke is extremely good and choking the opposing midfielders and gaining possession in the middle third with Holtby, the #10, pressuring from behind. This often results in lethal counterattacks.

I get the sense that Jones' role is almost identical to Bradley's role. They both seem like good passers that like to win the ball in the middle third and start counter attacks.

Jones struggles on the national team because the movement of his teammates just isn't what he's used to at Schalke. He can't pass his way out of trouble like he can in the Bundesliga. MB, for some reason, can adapt his game to the USMNT in a way Jones sometimes just can't.