Jermaine Jones - lethal or lame in the attack?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheNearPost, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure we may go back to a 4-2-3-1. That was the shape we played in 5 of Deuce's first 6 matches under JK. There is a sense that without LD, the #10 is the best slot for Clint.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that quote is your justification of this "Klinsmann once answered a question about Beckerman starting over Jones by stating that Rastaman played the position as instructed. .", I am now 100% sure that never happened.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don't blame Klinsmann. I wouldn't be surprised if he can't trust Jones to "stay home" as a #6. Sure, he does it with Schalke, but I think Jones views the USMNT as less competitive and more casual.

Jones is a loose cannon. He'll do whatever the coach tells him for $6 million a year, but with the USMNT I could see him being less responsive to the head coach.

swedust, Mr Martin, jaxonmills and 2 others repped this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea. I think with the USMNT, he seems to think he can run the show, being a '10'.... but that's not the case. He's too inconsistent, and lacks the ability to finish even though he's good at doing runs when going up.

6. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Any slower than Torres, Kljestan or Beckerman?

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd still like to see Jones get midfield attacking midfield in the match at the Office. Imo he'd be more comfortable there than out wide and will have 2 center mids behind him.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's not a 'stay at home' d mid like Beckerman. I think Kljestan is a tad' bit faster, as is torres.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? He is a stay at home d mid, exactly like Beckerman.

10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Kljestan is?? Is that how he is deployed at his club team now? Did I miss something since he moved to belgium?

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Sometimes the simple answers are the best answers. Starting match 1, JK has never attempted to play JJ at the #6 either in training or in matches. in JK's first match v Mexico he started Beckerman at #6, JJ #8 and Bradley #10. Fast forward to matches 11-16 and JJ has been pushed up in front of MB.

JK clearly feels that JJ provides much more value to the MNT in an aggressive attacking and pressing role and there is less drop in value in a replacement #6 (Beckerman, Edu, Bradley).

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  12. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's just weird to me that Juergen isn't willing to TRY these things. He's willing to try Maurice Edu as an advanced central midfielder against teams like France and Brazil, but he won't play Jermaine Jones in a position he is clearly capable of playing. I'm not going to say it's the answer to our problems. I'm saying that Juergen has been coach for over a year now and we've seen very little actual experimenting from him. He seems to have these preconceived notions of what these players can do and gives them very little chance to prove otherwise, or in the case of guys he likes, gives them chances even if they prove otherwise.

13. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Good point on Beckerman. I would guess the difference in speed between Davis and either Kljestan or Torres is negligible. I think if you have Davis as a LCM, his speed won't be the issue that many here think. On the flank, yes. More centrally, no.

Regardless, i'm probably barking up the wrong tree if I want to advocate for Davis on the USMNT. I just don't think it will happen.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends on what you want from the advanced central midfielder. Not weird at all really.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    YEa.... I wouldn't mind seeing davis play. But IMO he's more B' team, and is only useful with his crosses from the wings.

16. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if no bradley, donovan, dempsey
    i can see a formation change
    4-2-3-1
    if some new names are not in camp, klejstan, lichaj, gatt, zusi, corona
    then whoevers been with the team, will get plugged in
    dolo - cam - edu - fab
    ------beck -- jones ----
    gom? - torres - shea
    -------altidore-------

if we have and start bocanegra, then beck or cameron get bumped out
    my preference, when we have everyone, is to play jones as a pure Dmid/destroyer
    then that forces us to find a creative/attacking CM

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dang. Jones already has a goal and an assist on the season. This time he played deep midfield in 4231. I didn't see the match, but the heat maps and average position chart indicates he got forward much more than his deep midfield partner.

Maybe klinsmann can play him at attacking midfield.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolivianfuego repped this.
  19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good stuff!! This is the type of runs and ability on the ball to dribble up at speed!

20. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lethal!

21. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    looks like the Josh Gatt of the Bundesliga to me! :)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jones played right central midfield in a diamond 442 in the first match and deep central midfield in 4231 in the second match. Not an 8 but if Klinsmann is going to play 315 deep midfielders might as well use Jones in a more attacking role. For now.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a #8? What did you think he played? Last season in primarily 4-2-3-1 he played a #6 next to Holtby at #8. This year with Raul gone they have moved Holtby up to the #10 and so far JJ to the #8 box to box MF role.

4-3-1-2 v Hannover

---Draxler(8) ---Jones(8)--
    -------Neustadter(6)-----

4-2-3-1 v Augsburg

Draxler---Holtby---Farfan
    ---Neustadter(6)--Jones(8)

In fact JJ's average position in today match was ahead of the AMs and just behind the Hunter!

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. Jones was definitely an #8. Schalke doesn't ever really play with true dual #6s. Maybe against Arsenal Jones will sit back, but as long as he's producing, that #8 position is his to loose.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still prefer him starting an attack rather than being involved in the end of an attack. Sure he breaks off an impressive solo effort like this once or twice a year, but the success rate is not high. This just encourages his mostly unsuccessful dribbling adventures which largely don't end well.

Very impressive run and strike, but if some think that's enough to want him making long runs into the box for us, and playing in any kind of an advanced role, I disagree.

DMid, #6 please. Much rather MB making those runs or playing more advanced, or Holden if he regains what he had.