Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not a guaranteed WC spot or anything. Maybe JK can offer him a Gold Cup roster spot in 2015...that'll sway him, no doubt! :p

We'll just have to see how this plays out over the next year or two. Procedurally it's complicated, even if they can persuade him.

2. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the few times I've seen him play this season, he's nowhere near ready to be good enough for the senior NT. U23s are the only place he'd have guaranteed playing time and that would be out of position at LB.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Would Beasley start at LB in the BL?

We really don't have anyone else performing at that level at LB

4. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Johnson? He regularly switches between LM and LB for Hoffenheim. If Beasley was on Hoffenheim's roster, I'm sure he would get PT ahead of Toljan. I'd much rather have current Beasley than current Toljan heading into the World Cup. Guy is one of the best left sided players in US history.

5. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I prefer (and JK does too) Fabian in the midfield, therefore it's DMB or Toljan...I'm not sure DMB has what it takes to play on the backline at that level.

6. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian may very well end up in the back 4 for the World Cup anyway since he's better both defensively and offensively at LB than anyone else in the pool and it might be needed to accommodate our best attacking options. Defensively, Beasley is slight of frame and can beat in the air, but his positioning has gotten much better and his recovery speed is extremely useful against fast wingers we'll be going up against. Now, Toljan is probably sturdier defensively even at his young age, but his contributions to attack are nowhere near DMB.

Edit - we can take this over to this thread if you want to continue this discussion (don't want to steer this thread off topic into USMNT territory).

MadRHatter repped this.
  7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, how many left backs in the Bundesliga can actually defend? DMB would be hardly worse than some of those guys.

Mario Balotelli and LongDuckDong repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What can the US offer right now?"

We're going to the World Cup, we regularly go to the World Cup, and we have crappy starting fullbacks?

ckl26 repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone fill me in on Jeremy's citizenship status? Does he have to declare a one time switch? Is he immediately eligible, or is he another Zedelam story where we're never going to get him but talk about him anyway?

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His father (now deceased) was an American citizen. He has German citizenship as well as Croatian (through his mother). According to Brian S., he has never gone to the trouble of applying for his US passport and would possibly need some help to document his father's residency in the US (since that is one of the requirements for passing on US citizenship).

He has represented Germany at the UEFA U17s, so he would have to file a one time switch to move to either the US or Croatia.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/jeremy-toljan-is-earning-minutes-at-hoffenheim

11. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be a bit more accurate, he is a citizen but he does not have a passport. To get the passport he needs to put some paperwork together which is difficult due to the fact that his father is deceased. There was an earlier article saying he was registered with the embassy when he was born, so that hurdle was passed.

ckl26 and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what Brian said about that:

it is unclear whether or not his family registered his birth certificate with the U.S. consulate after he was born.

If they did do that, then he doesn't need to document his father's residency and he can simply claim his US passport. The act of registration had to have been accomplished by the time he was 18. If it wasn't registered, he has to go through documenting his father's residency in the US.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this doesn't say much but unfortunately is true.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #264 ussoccer97531, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    I don't want to derail the thread or get into a long argument, but I think you should watch Beasley closely the next time we play a good team. His positioning and instincts at LB are some of the worst that I have ever seen. He is not a LB.

15. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I don't want to derail the thread or get into a long argument, but I think you should watch Beasley closely the next time we play a good team. His positioning and instincts at LB are some of the worst that I have ever seen. He is not a LB.[/quote]

+1

He'll be average against CONCACAF sides like Evans but Belgium embarrassed him. He also had a rough go down in CR. We play Germany, Port and Ghana in the WC...I don't see it going well for him. Toljan at least competes and holds his own at a high level.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    It shouldn't be unclear. Either a Consular Report of Birth Abroad was issued for Jeremy or it wasn't. Only his father could have done that when he was a child. His father having passed does complicate things, I suppose.

17. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #267 Mario Balotelli, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Who didn't get embarrassed by Belgium? Toljan was so bad against Braunschweig (the worst team in the BL) that he got subbed off after 22 minutes. Using isolated games as an example isn't a great indicator. For example, what about the game against Germany, where Beasley was fine against Podolski and Draxler?

Yes, he played well against Dortmund but that's about the only game he was impressive in. Even Brad Evans locked down Andres Schurrle one time.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #smallsamplesizetheater

19. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toljan ain't ready for a friggin' World Cup. Let's be clear here. He's a prospect. Dearth of USMNT LBs be damned.

20. BigTimeBull

BigTimeBull New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked fine against Germany to you? It has been a little while now, but i recall Beasley getting abused more than once in that game.

21. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall him getting beaten badly multiple times. There was the one time he screwed up against Schurrle but other than that I remember him playing a pretty good game.

Sports Illustrated:
    D, DaMarcus Beasley -- In his 101st cap, Beasley worked his tail off to defend from his left back position, only letting a player get behind him on one occasion -- and even then, the ball played in was over-hit. Beasley also got forward with regularity, sent in crosses, won corners and tested the goalkeeper. With Fabian Johnson faring well on the left wing and Edgar Castillo not showing so well in his performance off the bench, Beasley could find himself with a regular role on the back line.

SBI:
    DAMARCUS BEASLEY
    Beaten early on by Schurrle, but recovered well and had a steady match throughout. Picked his spots well to get forward and defended solidly. Looks every bit like the choice to start at left back vs. Jamaica.

ESPN:
    D DaMarcus Beasley -- Was beaten badly by Schurrle on Germany's best chance of the first half, but otherwise held up decently. He even found time to get forward and threaten out of the back.

Edit: I just checked a few different player ratings from that game and they had favorable comments about DMB's performance.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the Germany game where Draxler (I think) easily shoved Beasley out of the play at the 10 yard mark, and fortunately for us Germany was called for the foul.

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that it's a knock on Beasley that he was fouled?

Mario Balotelli, Gorky and profiled repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying that because he is slight built that he needs a call to be bailed out from a play that can easily been a none called.

ckl26 repped this.
  25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley was horrid against Germany - I wouldn't want to see it again. In addition to the other incidents, I remember Mertesacker totally just ignoring Beasley's efforts at defense with the ball at his feet in the box.