Japanese Abroad 2010/11 [R] - Part I

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by scotch17, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Had he stayed at VVV, he wouldn't have got better he has improved since his transfer. Importantly his level of fitness is quite high now.

But he has said that he isn't enjoying his football there cause he isn't allowed to play in the attacking roles in midfield cause he can sort of play CM and Dzagoev can't. But if he leaves CSKA, i'm certain CSKA will get a massive transfer fee for him, surely above 20 million euro.

2. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's the point. Okada revealed that it was when watching him at CSKA that he realized how important he was for the JNT. Then came the Honda-shift in the JNT. It's pure speculation what his market value would have been like if he stayed at VVV.

If there were "losers" in this game, these were the clubs who sent scouts and didn't value him as CSKA did, either it be PSV, Ajax, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. ... or Arsenal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-Japans-Keisuke-Honda-player-tournament.html

3. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It was like that for a few matches, like 3 out of 12? I am quite sure that CSKA won't play him CM again.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ye but there are glimpses of how Honda is. He resents Dzagoev for playing those games in his position as someone mentioned that he said on his blog. He was quoted to saying he probably would have insisted on taking Endo's FK had Honda not scored his one beforehand despite its clearly better for the right-foot curl rather than the CRon FK.

He said he wasn't enjoying his time when he said that he was finally enjoying his football for the first time in a long time when they played England.

5. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    One thing for sure is that he is ambitious. Another thing is what he says in public to motivate himself and his team. And sometimes it's pure calculation. That's clearly the case with the Endo-FK: There is no real need to say such thing after it went in. He said it to position himself at the top of the teams' FK-takers-ranks. With what he said about being played as CM at CSKA he maybe was trying to push the coach into the right direction. The same pattern could apply to Okada/JNT for the England match when Shunsuke was left out for the first time.... So I wouldn't read too much into it as I remember that back at Venlo he was pretty honest about his future plans so when time comes I am sure that he will say that he wants to leave.

6. Senior Tigr

Senior Tigr Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Warsaw, Poland
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    CSKA coach said in interview that in his opinion if Honda was playing deeper for Japan at WC, he should shine even more, unfortunately Okada's problem with strikers caused that Keisuke had to play in very advanced position.
    So it looks that it would be hard to change CSKA coach's opinion about Honda's best place at the field. On several occasions he described Honda as box-to-box midfielder (who can also play on other positions).

BTW, 4-2-3-1 currently being used, can change with the start of transfer window to 4-4-2 diamond or even 4-3-3, so Honda's position can also be changed...

7. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If that's what CSKA were looking for with Honda, I think they should've pursued Hasebe, Endo, Ogasawara, or Kengo.
    I think 4231 or 433 are good formations for Honda. For Japan it'd be ideal if there was a striker up front for him to play behind, but Okada didn't trust any of the strikers available to him.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    What do the CSKA fans think of him ? He did good during the WC but before ? Is he an undoubtable starter ?

9. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From when is that interview if I may ask?
    If that's his final opinion on how to use Honda, well then it will not take too long before he asks for being transferred, admittedly.

It will also be interesting to see if the rumored friendly match between Russia and Japan will really be held, and what role Honda will be playing under the new JNT coach.

10. Senior Tigr

Senior Tigr Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Warsaw, Poland
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Every coach have an own vision and sometimes it is going against the "everybody knows that" public opinion. I'm sure that Okada's decision to play Honda as the lone forward was taken first as a very weird (well, in my case it was). But it worked, Honda was (surprisingly) good in winning headers against opposition defs and (unsurprisingly) excellent in holding the ball and providing them to teammates which make runs into open zones. Plus his ability to position himself in the opponent box gave him one goal and his fabulous free-kick ability also capitalized with scoring.

But he can be also excellent in the deeper position, for CSKA at least. He is able to make an excellent 40-60 meters long pass for a quick winger run (Krasic and Gonzalez), can cross it from deep for a tall striker (Necid), can arrive to attack as "second wave" and shot from distance or make himself available to a quick short play with technical forwards (Dzagoev or Guilherme) plus he is not bad in taking the ball from the opponents.

The players you've mentioned have one big weakness from CSKA point of view - their age. As CSKA cannot base on state corporations money as Zenit or Lokomotiv, we must gain money from the transfers (it's why I cannot rule out his move this transfer window - if a great offer, truly great - we are rich enough to wait for such, will come CSKA will sell him even as we like to see him in the team for several years), so the club policy is to sign players not older than 23 years (exceptionally 25 if the player is for the first squad from the beginning). Plus, Honda have a great advantage in his versatility.

Yes, he is an undoubted starter (only one match started on the bench, coach sometimes gives rest to a key players). He was very good at the beginning of the season but looked tired nearly May - he had 1,5 seasons without many holiday in row. Fans like him generally due to his great work rate and determination.

A couple days ago, already after Japan exit from the World Cup.

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It was definitely an odd decision by Okada, and unorthodox. But one out of necessity since Okada saw him as the only player he could rely on up front.
    I agree with everything you say, and think that's why he's better suited as a midfielder than a striker. But I can't see him as "box to box" or being a DM in a 4231. Sure he could do box to box, but it seems like a waste of his talent to me.
    Fair enough on the player ages, that sounds like a very smart transfer policy. Especially when bringing in foreign players.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    It's a foot in the door in Europe, which is about all someone like Kawashima can ask for at this point. Japanese goalkeepers don't have a lot of cred in Europe, and Kawaguchi's stay in England, Denmark, etc. didn't help that opinion any.

The Jupiler League is a good place to prove yourself. Do well there and the big boys will find you.

13. Senior Tigr

Senior Tigr Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Warsaw, Poland
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Many people have been described Frank Lampard as "box-to-box". It does not prevent him from being one of the top goalscorers in England :)
    If CSKA will move to 4-4-2 diamond, Honda will play exactly the same position that Lampard plays under Ancelotti - left central midfielder.
    Current CSKA coach does not look like a stubborn man, so if Honda will show him he is better in more advanced position, he will definitely consider it. But at the moment Dzagoev more advanced and Honda deeper is better than any combination of Honda more advanced and some Russian mid deeper. You must remember about foreigner limit in Russia - if we have a good Russian player (like Dzagoev) - we must use him.

14. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Can Dzagoev play on the wing? Krasic looks like he's on his way out. Gonzalez and Dzagoev on the wing with Honda behind Nacid? Or do you have another good winger? Honda can and has played on the right but he does not look good when I see him there. Honda really hates to defend so he will run out of patience and hand in a transfer request if he's deployed as a holding mid for long time. I am hoping he stays there for another 2 years. At least 1.

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
  16. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Where do you guys even think Honda will end up at?

17. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Somewhere in Italy would be my guess. Inter maybe? Only 15 or so clubs in the world would be able to afford him atm.

18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If they rejected an offer will they ever release him? Or was it to cheap?

19. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Too cheap. 11 million is just a little more than what CSKA payed VVV. CSKA surely must value him at over 20 million with the hype he's getting now. I don't see them letting him go though. Krasic looks like he's leaving so I don't think they'll let 2 of their key attacking players go in the same window.

20. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Is there any news on Nagatomo, or what Catania are going to do with Morimoto?

21. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    First of all they didn't brought him just to get 'some' money but to get qualified for CL next season too. Price for Honda won't drop and when the goal will be achieved and CSKA magement will find sufficient replacement for him Honda will be transfered to another club. I predict it won't be earlier than winter.

22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
  23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aha okey. I wonder if someone will bid that much.

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have alot cool news or rumours , you decide.

I got them from a norwegian friend that works with japanese soccer at different sites.

- As you know VVV bid on Abe. But several other german clubs is interested.

- Deportivo La Coruna, Everton and Sochaux is really interested in Matsui. Other clubs all over Europe also.

- Not only Roma have bid on Nagatomo, some PL and La Liga club also.

- Middlesbrough bid 2 000 000 £ for Tulio but that is far from enough.

And the coolest news of them all

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/0...der-japan-star-endo-linked-with-anfield-move/

25. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    After this WC there shouldn't be any more talk about Lampard being a box to box mid. ;)
    Though I know it wouldn't stop.